Pedals/Effects Fuzz pedals?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Let's talk about fuzz pedals. I've only got 2 pedals that I think are classified as fuzz. They seem to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum (price wise). I have a Danelectro French Toast and a Wrought Iron Effects Kaiburr Fuzz. I'd like to add another fuzz to the lineup.

So far I'm looking at the Boss FZ-5 since it is supposed to the the Fuzz Face, Maestro, and Octavia sounds. From what I've read, those are the 3 main types of fuzz pedals. Or at least the 3 that started the fuzz thing. Plus it's a Boss so you could run over it with a truck and it'd still work.

What fuzz pedals do some of you have, and what do you like/dislike about them?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I have the Mojo Hand Iron Bell, a Big Muff and a couple of builds in the pipeline based on the Fuzz face and Muff variations, I like the Iron Bell and the Muff which are similar and both have a wide range from mild overdrive to nasty, and play well with other pedals

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I have the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face and Fulltone Octafuzz. Gotta admit I haven't been using either of them much lately as I've been chasing other tones. I got the JH FF because, well..... and the Octafuzz was one of Griff's favourites awhile back so...

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes, we haven't had a good pedal discussion in a while.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I have a Big Muff Pi and I like it.
Like most fuzz pedals it can be somewhat temperamental and the trick is to make adjustments in tiny increments.
If I just grab a knob and crank it, it can sound horrible. But if I take the time to get it right with the other pedals it sounds awesome.
Once it's set up right I can kick it in whenever I want it and it does what it's supposed to do.

snarf

Like most fuzz pedals it can be somewhat temperamental and the trick is to make adjustments in tiny increments.
Like most of my other pedals, I always start off making sweeping changes and then slowly start narrowing it in. It's not uncommon for me to, initially, make really big changes. Maybe that's why I've never really liked the sounds I get from a fuzz. Maybe I should rethink how I'm doing that and try it again.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Experimented with a lot of fuzz pedals. It really comes down to what kind of fuzz sound you are looking for. The one I am using on my gigging board, and have been using it for a couple years is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. What I like about it is it can really cut through the mix in a live situation, and the controls actually work through a wide range. It is a lot smoother than most fuzz pedals, is quiet for a fuzz pedal, and really nails the Gilmourish tone (think of the solo in Comfortably Numb). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ_YjEjyGns

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Funny this came up as I just pulled my fuzz pedal out the other day to play around with it. This is a Chicago Stompworks clone of a Violet Ram's Head (don't know what that means, exactly). It was a "bare box" model for $50. Bare box is just what it is, no labels or indicators, just 3 knobs. I have fun with it but have not played out with it yet. Gotta get more experience with it.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Experimented with a lot of fuzz pedals. It really comes down to what kind of fuzz sound you are looking for. The one I am using on my gigging board, and have been using it for a couple years is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. What I like about it is it can really cut through the mix in a live situation, and the controls actually work through a wide range. It is a lot smoother than most fuzz pedals, is quiet for a fuzz pedal, and really nails the Gilmourish tone (think of the solo in Comfortably Numb). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ_YjEjyGns
Forgot about that one.
I like it.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
That's one of the ones I'm building a clone of

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I've got three fuzz pedals:
  • King of Tone Mini Fuzz
    • Pro: Straight forward controls, easy to dial in
    • Pro: Sounds really good, smooth
    • Pro: stacks nicely with other gain pedals, including the Black Spiral Fuzz (below)
    • Con: only battery powered (it's an earlier model)
  • Fuzzrocious Grey Stash Fuzz
    • Pro: harmonically interesting
    • Pro: Momentary phase switch
    • Con: There are some connectivity issues with momentary switch, which make the pedal unreliable
    • Con: doesn't always play well with other gain-based pedals
  • Black Spiral Fuzz
    • Pro: sounds good, full range of tonal options
    • Con: Pricy

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I've had this for a while but just got a power supply to run it. It's only about 1 1/2" by 3 1/2", no room for a battery. This video seems to do a pretty good job of demonstrating the range of fuzz you can get outta this pedal. If it's on, baby you got fuzz. You kinda have to turn your guitar volume down to come close to cleaning it up. That said, I do like the sound even if it's a pretty extreme fuzz.
Never had a fuzz before but I have a DOD distortion pedal that was plenty fuzzy for me.

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
If you are thinking about the BOSS FZ, check out the Behringer fuzz. It is supposedly a clone of it. I think I paid about $30 for mine. Also, check out JHS pedals video on YouTube about fuzz pedals. Very informative.

snarf

If you are thinking about the BOSS FZ, check out the Behringer fuzz. It is supposedly a clone of it. I think I paid about $30 for mine. Also, check out JHS pedals video on YouTube about fuzz pedals. Very informative.
I've actually had that Behringer fuzz on a couple of wishlists for a while now...at least since the JHS guy did that vid on sleeper pedals last spring where he talked about it. They seem to be out of stock everywhere since he did that one. As soon as they show up again, if they still show up around that $25 - $35 Behringer pedal price point, I figure that one's a no brainer. At the moment, I don't know what folks are really getting for them, but they seem to be asking $60+ for them.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Never had a fuzz pedal. Never had the need. I have an overdrive, which doesn't get much use. Also have a Distortion that gets even less use. I can't imagine finding myself in a musical situation where I would want that much dirt in my signal chain.