Harsh Static Playback Windows 8.1

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Have had issues before with staticey, scrapping sound during playback and recording but it has gotten progressively worse. The sound is not recorded but it sure takes your concentration away from your playing.

Running Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba laptop 4 gig of Ram.

I did everything to reduce load on the processor even disconnected from the router so I could disable antivirus.

Multiple interfaces cables, and yesterday it started when playing you tube videos.

Apparently others have had this problem and the best suggestion I saw was to replace Realtek Driver with Windows HD driver, which seems to be better, but again this morning it popped up and went away.

I'm monitoring system resources and nothing is being taxed.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Mickey may have the answer. Never liked 8.1. Even though Microshaft tell you the free upgrade has finished apparently they forgot to tell the guys running the upgrade servers. I recently upgraded a win7 (only because they are dropping support and I do like to be on a supported platform) PC. The usual issues with software not working and driver incompatability but after about 8-9 days I have ironed out most issues and all seems stable. But absolutly zero issues with downloading the software or with the software showing as official and licenced after the upgrade.

Just search for win 10 free upgrade still available 2019 should get to help sites. The down load site is on microshaft.com somewhere.

cheers

Al.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Mickey may have the answer. Never liked 8.1. Even though Microshaft tell you the free upgrade has finished apparently they forgot to tell the guys running the upgrade servers. I recently upgraded a win7 (only because they are dropping support and I do like to be on a supported platform) PC. The usual issues with software not working and driver incompatability but after about 8-9 days I have ironed out most issues and all seems stable. But absolutly zero issues with downloading the software or with the software showing as official and licenced after the upgrade.

Just search for win 10 free upgrade still available 2019 should get to help sites. The down load site is on microshaft.com somewhere.

cheers

Al.
Thanks Al

If I was sure Windows 10 would resolve issue I would probably upgrade this PC .

But looks like Win 10 users are having same issue.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Once again...Mickey may have the answer:rolleyes:

I'm running the realtek drivers on my laptop with not to many issues. Think the desktop has realtek drivers as well but as I normally have my Amplifi FX100 hooked up it uses that soundcard not the realtek one.

cheers

Al.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I don't know how you're set up, but I would get rid of the Realtek audio chip. I know you have a Presonus StudioLive mixer. Why not use the Super Channel on it and use the Presonus as your sound device?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I don't know how you're set up, but I would get rid of the Realtek audio chip. I know you have a Presonus StudioLive mixer. Why not use the Super Channel on it and use the Presonus as your sound device?

I'be been using AR16 and Axe IO as my sound devices.

I smashed 3 chips on the motherboard hoping one of them was the Realtek. :ROFLMAO:

Actually. I hadn't thought of disabling it. We'll try that next b4 I get the hammer.

Thanks. sometimes frustration makes you lose your TSP (trouble shooting perspective). Back at it again, never thought an oil change and front brake job would be a welcome distraction.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I'm still running Windows 7 and I recently had some problems with static and a sort of "sounds like it's in a tunnel" effect when playing videos and backing tracks.

I rebooted the system and it seems to have cleared up.

Sometimes the simple things work! :Beer:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I'm still running Windows 7 and I recently had some problems with static and a sort of "sounds like it's in a tunnel" effect when playing videos and backing tracks.

I rebooted the system and it seems to have cleared up.

Sometimes the simple things work! :Beer:
Wish I had the same luck. It is intermittent. I have switched from the Realtek driver to the Windows driver, disabling devices, tried 3 different interfaces, and multiple other crapolla.

It started after a Window update a few weeks ago. This morning Windows run an update and knock wood it is working, so far. :Beer:

I spent over 20 years in various positions supporting Windows for a software VAR, (UNIX clients were so much easier) ,so I know how these things go. Sometimes it is just a waiting game.