Set up reference book

Tayport

Blues Newbie
Does anyone have a book recommendation on guitar set up? I have looked at several reviews online with various results but wondered if anyone here had a reference book that they really liked. There are some good videos out there which can be very helpful, but I also like to have a book in my hands.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
The Dan Erlewine books are very good. I have the guitar players repair guide which is probably more involved than you need for basic set up. Not sure if he does a simpler one. However this has everything you are likely to need and also covers some players favorite setups for you to emulate.

cheers

Al.

Thanks Al, I did read some good reviews on Dan's book. That was one that I had been considering.

JeffreyCiccone

Blues Newbie
Agreed. Dan Erlewine's books are great. This book gave me everything I needed for basic do it yourself set ups (and then some). Highly recommended. https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989

51BcI%2B8EwIL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got a couple of Dan Erlewine's books, and they are the best out there. I've also got one called Alfred's Teach Yourself Guitar Repair and Maintenance, and it's the book that I actually keep in my tool bag for quick reference. It doesn't have a lot on repair, but is a good reference for general setup and maintenance things (like I can never remember which direction I need to turn the truss rod). The reason I keep it in my tool bag and not the Erlewine books is because it's a good basic book, and I can find simple answers in it much quicker than I can in the others. It's also like 100 pages as compared to the Erlewine book that's probably 250 or 300 pages. If I can't find the answer in the Alfred's book, then I pull out the others. That's kind of how I view them. The Alfred's book is a good basic reference. The Erlewine books are more in-depth and go beyond just the basics.

b583aca49dac03d05f1c76ee04020865.jpg

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
The reason I keep it in my tool bag and not the Erlewine books is because it's a good basic book, and I can find simple answers in it much quicker than I can in the others
Must admit I rarely get the book out for "which way does the truss rod go" type questions. I can get the answer from google quicker than I can find the book on the bookshelf:rolleyes:
Oh and it's righty tighty/lefty loosie:whistle:

cheers

Al.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Must admit I rarely get the book out for "which way does the truss rod go" type questions. I can get the answer from google quicker than I can find the book on the bookshelf:rolleyes:
Oh and it's righty tighty/lefty loosie:whistle:

cheers

Al.
I always remember the righty tighty thing, but is it righty tighty from the headstock looking down or from the body looking up? I think I'm a bit skittish on that one, especially, because I split the bridge on an acoustic once turning it too much. Or at least the bridge split with a pretty loud pop while I was turning it. And every bridge on it since then (even installed by someone who knows what they're doing) seems to have issues. So truss rods make me nervous.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I saw a video of a Fender custom shop guy, and he said he likes the acronym, TRAIN, to remember the order.

Tune
neck Relief
Action height
Intonation
Noodle

I assume the nut is assumed to be correct depth, and is not exactly an adjustment.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I saw a video of a Fender custom shop guy, and he said he likes the acronym, TRAIN, to remember the order.

Tune
neck Relief
Action height
Intonation
Noodle

I assume the nut is assumed to be correct depth, and is not exactly an adjustment.

I like that, easy to remember.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I got the Dan Erlewine book mentioned above and haven't paid for a set up since. Easy to read, very well written, highly detailed instructions. Wealth of information. As previously mentioned, it's a lengthy book, but you don't need to read it cover to cover. It also comes with a DVD with Dan demonstrating and explaining a lot of it.

I haven't read the Alfred book yet... But there's time, and I like to read.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I have the Dan Erlewine book also. It's very good and I would recommend it, but I mostly use the Paul Jollineau basic set up guide for basic tune ups. He did a seminar at a BGU LIVE which I didn't attend. Somehow I was able to print out his guide. I bet somebody knows where that can be found. :whistle::rolleyes:

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I highly recommend Dan Erlewine's book. That said, in order to become proficient at setups and minor repairs, you have to get a feel for it. For that, I also highly recommend collecting guitars, so you always have something that needs work.

I ordered Dan's book and also Alfred's yesterday. I appreciate the feedback and recommendations from everyone. I had gotten a great deal on a Monoprice Telecaster awhile back as a project guitar so that is what I will work on. The fret ends need to be dressed and the neck adjusted to start with and probably a new nut.