I bought a new guitar today. Fender Sixty Six

straightblues

Blues Junior
I bought a new guitar today. It is from the Fender Alternative Reality Series. It is called the Sixty Six. It is a shrunken down Jazz bass body. Two tele pickups and a humbucker in the bridge. I have been reading about them for about 6 months but was never able to find one to play. Finally, I found three at the Guitar Center in Hollywood today. I spent about an hour playing them and I really liked them. They have chunky necks and the pickups sound good.

They had a three-tone burst that they had on sale for $649. They had the other two colors (natural and light blue) at the standard price of $899. They wouldn't negotiate in the store on the other two colors. The 3 tone burst was a lot heavier than the other two and didn't play as well. So when I got home I called Guitar Center and I was able to talk them into selling me a Natural colored one for the $649. I will have to wait a few days to get it, but I am happy to saved the $250. This is my first off the shelf new guitar in a very long time. Looking forward to it.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/other/the-sixty-six/0145022304.html

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I like the Jazz Bass body.
I like the whole Alternative Reality line. I have the Meteora (H,H) and I really like it.

Enjoy your new rig!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Interesting!
Never heard of these before.

That Sixty Six looks like a great off-shoot of some great guitars, love the large headstock.
Nice to see Fender breaking the mold.

Enjoy:Beer:

straightblues

Blues Junior
I got the guitar. It is a cool guitar. But Fender needs to do more on setting up their guitars. This thing need to have a full setup. The pickups are too low, the strings are too high at the nut and too low at the bridge, the frets are sharp on the ends. Luckily I have the right tools and the skills to set it all up. For those who don't, it would cost an extra $100 or so to get it set up. This is my first brand new guitar in a long while. I think Fender should have done better. I think this will be a fun guitar once it is dialed in.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I got the guitar. It is a cool guitar. But Fender needs to do more on setting up their guitars. This thing need to have a full setup. The pickups are too low, the strings are too high at the nut and too low at the bridge, the frets are sharp on the ends. Luckily I have the right tools and the skills to set it all up. For those who don't, it would cost an extra $100 or so to get it set up. This is my first brand new guitar in a long while. I think Fender should have done better. I think this will be a fun guitar once it is dialed in.

Fender seems to be really inconsistent when it comes to setups. I bought a new MiM strat a few years ago and it was one of the best strat setups ever. Really low action, no buzz, smooth frets, and good pickup heights. Maybe some of them get past the final QA step.

Elwood

Blues
ditto @ Elio! My MIM thinline tele came just right. No fret sprout, nice action. flawless finish. My MIA tele Elite came with fret sprout (still the best one in the store) blems in the finish (minor, but there). I agree with the "inconsistent" thing. With two MIM teles and one MIA elite, I believe you gets what you gets. Some assembly required.
Set up is so personal, like Goldilocks. I want mine "just right". You might not like what I do though. straightblues has it right, just give 'er a tweak here and there.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Nice looking guitar... I'm never one to care about factory setups... I always have a guitar professionally set up after a few "acclamation months" anyway.. Guitars take time to settle into being a guitar. Every piece of wood is different...

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Super deal and a nice savings AND a great bargain hunter idea to remember. Sounds like it will be well worth the wait! Congratulations.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Super deal and a nice savings AND a great bargain hunter idea to remember. Sounds like it will be well worth the wait! Congratulations.

Most of the stores deal on price if you call and ask them. But only do it when you are ready to buy right then and there. They offer you deals that are take it now or never sort of thing.

straightblues

Blues Junior
I decided to send this one back since it had a bad setup and is just too heavy. It weighs almost 9 pounds. The good news is I found another one that is less than 8 pounds that I was able to order. I will try again. :D:cool::cool: