BGU Lessons

Otto

Blues Newbie
I'm wondering if it makes sense to purchase the BGU lessons now, at the Thanksgiving discount price, even though I'm only on lesson 2 of the BBG lesson set? I'm sure that the BGU lessons are way over my head, but I plan on sticking with this to learn to play the Blues.

Or, should I wait until I get further along with the BBG lessons? I'm sure there will be other opportunities to purchase the BGU lessons down the road.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Otto...

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I'm wondering if it makes sense to purchase the BGU lessons now, at the Thanksgiving discount price, even though I'm only on lesson 2 of the BBG lesson set? I'm sure that the BGU lessons are way over my head, but I plan on sticking with this to learn to play the Blues.

Or, should I wait until I get further along with the BBG lessons? I'm sure there will be other opportunities to purchase the BGU lessons down the road.

Otto...

Otto...

Otto

Blues Newbie
I looked at the All Access Pass but that's an annual $299 subscription for a lot of stuff I don't even know anything about. Remember, I'm only on lesson 2 of the BBG course. I barely know which end of the guitar to hold. I think that the All Access Pass would be a big waste of money, for me, at this stage of my learning to play guitar.

I only considered adding the BGU course as the price is very reasonable, at this time, and I'm guessing that would be the next, natural, progression to the BBG course. I'm sure that as I progress, that many of the other packages would be something that I may want to pursue, and the All Access Pass might be the logical purchase at that time. Does that make sense, or is my thinking flawed?

I do appreciate the feedback.

Otto...

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I only considered adding the BGU course as the price is very reasonable, at this time
Christmas is coming in another month.

You'll be further into BBG by then and have a better feeling for how you are progressing and how soon you'll be ready to move on up.;)

Last edited:

Otto

Blues Newbie
Christmas is coming in another month.

You'll be further into BBG by then and have a better feeling for how you are progressing and how soon you'll be ready to move on up.;)

Excellent point. I just wasn't sure how often the courses go on sale, and being on a fixed income, I need to take advantage of them when I can.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Honestly, if you are a complete beginner, just get through BBG first before looking to purchase additional courses. And plan on really learning the material, not just going through it superficially. Honestly, invest in a good metronome first before purchasing additional licenses.

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Hey Otto,
what exactly are your current goals with regards to guitar?
do you want to play with a band? Do you want to play by yourself? Electric? Acoustic?

I'm with Paleo here, there is no fire in terms of buying courses. There will be sales down the road.

Otto

Blues Newbie
Hey Otto,
what exactly are your current goals with regards to guitar?
do you want to play with a band? Do you want to play by yourself? Electric? Acoustic?

I'm with Paleo here, there is no fire in terms of buying courses. There will be sales down the road.

Hi Walt,

At first I wasn't sure what I wanted to play, just wanted to learn to play, but after listening to some of the Blues players, especially BB King, I knew that was the music I wanted to play. I love the feel of the Blues on electric guitar. I would like to get good enough to play an "open mike" night at our local music shop/school we have here in town. They do it almost every Saturday night.

Thanks for the advice.

Otto...

Last edited:

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Hey Otto,

I personally have completed ABGU and am right at the 1/2 way point of BGU. It seems to me that BGU is more geared towards playing with a band. Whereas ABGU is really about making music on your own. I still feel like the abgu course was some of the best money I have ever spent. I can not say enough good things about that course. It turned me into a guitar player.

I was in the exact same boat as you. I just knew I wanted to play, I really dug the blues and knew I wanted to play some form of it. I happened to stumble upon ABGU. I feel extremely lucky as it was to be the perfect fit for me and what I was looking for.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I don't know why I wrote licenses. I meant courses.

Something else to think about at some point might be a looper pedal. Really helpful for practicing, and you can become the band as you learn to build parts of a song on top of each other. Give it some time though before getting the looper, see it as something to look forward to learning to use once you have the basics down.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Otto...

Planning on sticking with it? Then Absolutely!
or... if you are REALLY gonna stick with it, the All Access Pass is the way to go. you get SO much more for very little more $$.

jakey leroy

Lookin' straight up from my hammock...
If you really connect with Griff's teaching style, the way most of us here do, you can't go wrong buying any of his stuff. He's thought about every aspect of learning blues guitar, and I have really enjoyed learning things I didn't even know I needed to learn, thanks to Griff.

Just go for it!