FYI: Soloing Without Scales 2.0 now available

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Worked Lessons 8-10 today.

Only some "minor" differences in notation in Solo #2 on a couple of bends and no slides into (or out of) licks notated.

So far I've been going through the new videos while using the original manual, notating these small changes as I go.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I have been going through all the lessons except solos and trying to place the blocks in every key and familiarize myself with all the notes and little nuances that I missed, didn't pay attention the first time and didn't really make sense to me what I was doing. This time I understand much better.

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Anybody, @Griff notice that in SWS 2, solo#2, lick nine in the PDF manual has 5 extra bars not covered in the lessons or the playback and there is material shown in the videos where it toggles between 15 on the 3rd fret and 14 on the second string but is not included in the manual? I haven't been drinking, but something is very F*** U* here

EDIT: the extra stuff is from the sliding lesson 11 which is lick 9 there also

The 15/13/14 and 18 fret stuff in lesson 9 is not documented anywhere

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@Griff

The video for Solo 2 is fine.

Page 47 in the new manual is actually the same as page 58 from Solo 3 later on.

The correct page 47 with Licks 10, 11 & 12 for Solo 2 is missing.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@Griff

Oops! Also just noticed that what should be "Solo 4" starting on page 69 is actually the complete Solo 3 in F again.

Solo 4 is completely missing.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I was going to order this with other stuff for the Thanksgiving sale but I'll hold off now until a corrected version is available.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I decided this would be a good time to review SWS. Boy that funk rhythm on solo #1 can sure throw off your timing!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I already owned v1 but hadn't yet attempted it. Ordered the v2 manual; figure I'll just print and insert the missing page when an update becomes available. I think it's time I took this bad boy on! :Beer:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm up to Lesson 10 using my original hard copy of the manual along with the new videos.

Any changes in any tab will show up as you compare the new "in-video" tab with the original manual.

Other than that, there aren't any "major" differences in the manuals, content-wise.

I wouldn't put off starting the course waiting for a new manual.;)

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Yep; using the 1.0 manual as well. In my case I'm only halfway into lesson 3 so I expect it'll be a while before I note any changes.

Full bends. Aiee, my fingers. :confused:

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
I"M interested in getting the Dvd's of the 2.0 course and manual upgrade
usually thats offer with Griff other course for us at a discount ,why is the manual
only offer with out DVD"S? anyone know?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I"M interested in getting the Dvd's of the 2.0 course and manual upgrade
usually thats offer with Griff other course for us at a discount ,why is the manual
only offer with out DVD"S? anyone know?
Only @Griff can answer that.

I'm sure he will take care of everybody.

All in good time.:)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So I sit down today to move on to Lesson 11 - Solo #3 in F.

@Griff gives his intro, and as usual, first wants to demonstrate the new solo.

Then he actually demonstrates the previous Solo #2 in Bb.:confused:

Then the breakdown of the correct solo begins.

That's the point I'm at right now.

Onward an upward.:)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For all of you who read Standard Notation....

In Solo 3 Griff mentions a G# where an Ab should be.

In the 1.0 manual, which I'm using, it is an Ab.o_O

Which led to to check out the Key Signature. (Which I wouldn't normally pay any attention to.:whistle:)

Which led me to discover that for the solos in 1.0, up to and including this one, the Key Signatures of the solos don't "match" the "Keys" of the solos.

Now in 2.0, they do match for 1 through 3.

From Solo 4 on, they are the same as in 1.0.

Solo---------------------Key
Version-----------1.0---------2.0
Solo 1 in G ------C-----------G
Solo 1 in Bb-----Eb----------Bb
Solo 1 in F-------Bb----------F
Solo 2 in Bb-----Ab----------Bb
Solo 3 in F-------Eb----------F
Solo 4 in B-------G-----------G
Solo 5 in D ------C-----------C
Solo 6 in C-------C-----------C
Solo 7 in A-------C-----------C

Just something to be aware of.

Wait a minute.

If you do read Standard Notation you would have already noticed.
If you don't, you won't care.o_O

Anyway......

Last edited:

Danno

Blues Newbie
Not when you're talking, as @Paleo was, about standard notation. In that case a G# would be a note on the second line from the bottom of the staff while an Ab would be in the second space from the bottom. Having said that they are effectively the same pitch.