No keyboard player? No problem!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I had one, sold it but, thinking about getting another.
They make several versions so, check out the various sounds they produce to select the one that best fits your needs.
I had the B9, did a decent job for what it is.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I still have a "YouRock Guitar" that's basically a MIDI controller shaped like a guitar. Six "strings" on the body, and the neck is touch-sensitive. You can play it as various guitars or other instruments. Has something like 30 built-in instruments and when you connect it to a DAW that number becomes as large as what you have in your library. Has a whammy bar, too, and a couple of other controls for effects. Quite a bit of fun to mess around with.

IMG_2273.jpeg

This pedal made me think of it.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got the B9 pedal and pull it out occasionally at the house. Admittedly, I've never taken it anywhere. It definitely takes some getting used to in order for it to sound good. I've found that it works best with a guitar that has buckers and on the bridge position. Not that it won't work with a Strat, but the other works better. It also takes a bit of a different touch for it to sound organ-ish. You can't think guitar-player when you use it...bends, especially, don't work well. You do have to have a little different mind-set when playing it I think. Listening to the song you linked, it would do really well for that...small chords that are held. It works really well for that kind of thing.

I usually use either the Fat and Full setting or the Continental setting. As well, I like that you can dial the guitar in or out so that you can hear the guitar sound along with the organ or cut it so that you mostly hear the organ.

Definitely check out the other 3 pedals in the line. They all have different sounds. I really like some of the Key 9 sounds. If I ever have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, I might grab one of them too. They're fun pedals.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I first became aware of these when I went to see a band I knew and I heard keyboards from the street walking in. I figured they added a keyboard player. No, he had one of these.
We recently lost our keyboard player, and since we do Gimmee Some Lovin by the Spencer Davis group, it was time to look into this. Wow! Gas attack!!

https://youtu.be/98u-MDTKAWU

https://youtu.be/ko3m0NBbq1o

Did you decide to pull the trigger on one of these pedals yet?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I have a B9, I think I'd like the tones in the C9 better, actually, but it's not bad at all (ideally you want both...)

Here's the trick, get one of their "Freeze" pedals so you can play a chord and it won't trail off. Organs can sustain forever if you hold down the key, guitars can't. You can even hit one high note, hold down the Freeze pedal, and then play under that high note like a real organ player.

I went further and hooked it up to a Leslie pedal so I could control the Leslie effect from my feet and not have to turn the knob while I was trying to play.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Freeze pedal is definitely a pedal I reccommend. Great for practicing and live. Freeze a chord and solo over it. And the new ones come with a silent switch, so no upgrade needed any longer.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Freeze pedal is definitely a pedal I reccommend. Great for practicing and live. Freeze a chord and solo over it. And the new ones come with a silent switch, so no upgrade needed any longer.
Not being a pedal type of person, I had never heard of a Freeze pedal. Based on what you and Griff just said, this would be very nice pedal to have on hand...

Steve

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've been playing with the B9 a bit and I'm liking it. It's not something that I'll use a lot, but there are a few songs that it's perfect for.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
C9 is on the way. I'll report back on how I like it. :Beer:
It arrived today and I just got done playing with it. Very cool! There are a few settings that would work great with Gimmee Some Lovin, plus there is another song or two on our setlist where it would come in handy. It will definitely get used.
I"m usually a Sweetwater guy, but I have to give American Musical Supply a big shout out. I ended up buying it new at AMS. I wanted it for the next band practice but didn't have the full amount laying around. ($221 plus tax) Sweetwater had a 3 payment plan if you signed up for their credit card. No strings attached through AMS and it was here in 2 days. No candy though. :cry::rolleyes:

aleclee

Tribe of One
Got a Boss SY-1 coming in about 10 days. I like my SY-300 but would like something smaller. Always looking for sounds outside the traditional scope of electric guitar.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Got a Boss SY-1 coming in about 10 days. I like my SY-300 but would like something smaller. Always looking for sounds outside the traditional scope of electric guitar.
I had thought about the different ehx synth engines before, but took a pass. But I am fairly certain there is a boss SY-1 somewhere in my not too distant future. It will be kicking the TC Electronics Quintessence off the board.

aleclee

Tribe of One
I had thought about the different ehx synth engines before, but took a pass. But I am fairly certain there is a boss SY-1 somewhere in my not too distant future. It will be kicking the TC Electronics Quintessence off the board.
From what I gather, the Boss and EHX each have their respective advantages but I have hands-on with the SY-300 so I'm going with the synth engine I know. My issue with the SY-300 is mainly size. I'm not eager to dedicate that much space/weight to a pedal that's not necessarily part of my core sound.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I took
From what I gather, the Boss and EHX each have their respective advantages but I have hands-on with the SY-300 so I'm going with the synth engine I know. My issue with the SY-300 is mainly size. I'm not eager to dedicate that much space/weight to a pedal that's not necessarily part of my core sound.
I primarily took a pass on the ehx stuff because build quality can be a problem at times with ehx products. I have no patience for wasting time with pedals that may have quality control issues. My problem with the SY-300 is mainly cost. Playing guitar is a hobby for me, a serious hobby, but one of several. I can't in my head justify spending over 7000 Swedish kronor (I am an American living in Sweden) on one pedal. The SY-1 ticks all the rigth boxes for me both for build quality and price.