Is it worth it?

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
Hi guys after wanting a les paul for pretty much my entire guitar playing life ( about 30yrs) im very close to biting the bullet and buying one. The problem is its always in the back of my mind is it worth it? Is it a selfish thing to do when i have 2 young kids and a wife to support. Are they overpriced and youre just paying for the name? I know gibson are meant to of had a problem with quality control over recent years but with the new man in control the latest les paul is supposedly a big improvement on recent versions. I had a go on one in Andertons last week kind of hoping it wouldn't sound much better than my epiphone les paul, but it did . Miles better! What do you think guys?

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I have the same problem. My thinking is that it's not worth it if you think it's going to sound and play better. It's worth it if you want to enjoy a piece of art and the satisfaction of owning one. So you're right, it's a splurge and selfish in a way, but everyone deserves something nice, so it's OK if the kids get fed and peace is maintained in the home.
Speaking for myself, I truly have the disposable income if I really wanted to do it, but have never pulled the trigger.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
"is it worth it" is a question only you can answer. I just watched the Andertons video on the PRS Modern Eagle V. £9000 IMHO not worth it. However I bet they don't take long to sell the 3 they have, so it's worth it to someone:rolleyes:
I wanted guitars with Fender and Gibson on the head stock. I managed to pickup a 2nd hand Am Pro Strat at a good price and My wife bought me a LP tribute model when they could be had at a sensible price (around £600). Both of these were worth it as I now have what I wanted. Do they play any better than their cheaper rivals, maybe not but the have the name and that is what I wanted. Chris nailed it above the only thing I would add is that expensive equipment, what ever your hobby, are really just toys unless you are a professional and need the quality and reliability to make your living.

cheers

Al.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My main criterion (given you cited family to support) would be: can you responsibly afford it? If the answer is no, then (despite my own well-established GAS affliction) I'd answer with a hard no. If you can, then I'd swing the other way (domestic tranquility permitting) and say if it draws you, go for it. Worst case you can flip it and chalk up the lost difference to learning whether it was really for you rather than leaving yourself wondering, "what if?" :Beer:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I might not be the right person to talk to about Les Paul's. I own 3. If I didn't think they were worth it I would have stopped after the first one.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Two thoughts:
-Selecting an instrument

Some people enjoy owning/collecting many guitars for various reasons.
Other people try to find an instrument that speaks to their emotions.
Instruments that you hold against your body (like guitars) have a particular effect on your emotions which can make a huge difference in how and what you play.
-Financial Obligations
It goes without saying that most responsible people ( especially parents) always weigh their own wants/needs against the needs of the family.

So, my advise is.
if you want a LP to add to your collection, don't get it if $ is tight.
If this is "The One", look for ways to fund it and restrict your G.A.S on other items.

The worth of any item can only be determined by the person making the purchase.

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
I personally think life is short, and if you can afford to purchase it you should. I got into a life changing accident 13 years ago that almost killed me. I lost 3 years of my life. I am fortunate enough that I have effectively fully recovered. The upshot is I take nothing for granted, I try to be the best person I can be, and I try to live with no regrets.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I love my Gibsons and I don't want to throw a wrench in the works but...
I have an Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top that is pretty near equal to my Gibsons at about 1/3 the $$$. So if you want a Gibby, get it. I'm not sure I would have bought the Epi if I didn't already have the Gibson Les Pauls (and were it not for the enablers on this forum). If you're worried about the price though, give the top of the line Epis a whirl. At least you will have done your due diligence. :Beer:

Enabler Alert...
(Then buy the Gibson) :whistle:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I was in the same situation about 5 years ago and splashed out on this baby in my profile picture. I also had an Epi gold top JB les Paul and it did to my ears sound better then the Gibi. But after fitting Mick Brierley vintage humbuckers to the Gibson the thing just flies now. Do I regret splashing out on it, not a bit.

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
Only caveat on that is he mentioned playing one at Andertons, which might mean he's in the UK.
Yes im from Surrey, in the uk. Near Guildford where andertons is. I did work experience at the shop when at school and got know lee anderton well. This was before all the youtube stuff . Regards. Russell

artyman

Fareham UK
I suffered the same Gibson itch about four years ago and played both Epi's and Gibson's, I felt the Epi played much better but preferred the sound of the Gibson so went with that. I often wonder if buying the Epiphone and doing a pickup swap would have been a better option, probably a lot cheaper the LP Standard was £2200 at that time. The flame maple Cherry sunburst does look nice though :)