Playing Strapped

dwparker

Bluesologist
I just looked at lesson one were Griff talks about how to position the guitar while sitting. He did not mention playing with the strap on all the time and I'm kind of wondering why not. I play with a strap on at all times and my guitar is in the exact same position always: standing, stitting, kneeling, whatever. Does anyone else play always strapped as well? Thoughts on this?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I must wear mine slightly lower than you, for when I sit down the strap goes loose. I still keep it on though (just in case)

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I always play with a strap. I wear my guitar a bit high and even sitting the strap bears the weight of my guitar. I've really grown accustomed to playing that way.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Strapped but it is loose when sitting. I cannot imagine having a strap so short that it still holds the guitar up when I sit!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I never strap in unless I'm standing. If I sit, the strap is always just loose enough to fall off my shoulder, and that bugs me. Besides, I've heard the safety argument, and my thought goes back to the first rule of sailing. "One hand for you, and one hand for the boat." I've always got one hand on the guitar when I'm sitting, so, if I drop the guitar, I've probably got bigger concerns.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I never strap in unless I'm standing. If I sit, the strap is always just loose enough to fall off my shoulder, and that bugs me. Besides, I've heard the safety argument, and my thought goes back to the first rule of sailing. "One hand for you, and one hand for the boat." I've always got one hand on the guitar when I'm sitting, so, if I drop the guitar, I've probably got bigger concerns.

If I play on stage while seated, I have to deal with the process of getting up there, lugging my iPad (for lyrics prompting) and my beer (critical), getting everything (like my corpus) into position, adjusting the mic, et cetera. For me, at least, all that is easier if I can let go of the guitar for a minute or two.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I prefer to use my hands to play the guitar rather than to hold it up.:)

I'm a strap-alla-time guy as a rule but, in fairness, the times when I've played one strapless (heh) I've found that it tends to be rather stable (while seated) just with the contact points of the leg under and the playing arm over. I could hold both my hands out in the air and it would still sit nicely. YMMV. :Beer:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I used to be a electric strap while sitting guy. Recently I changed because I found it was changing the angle of the guitar it was no longer perpendicular but tilting back toward me. This was causing me to hyperextend my wrist and slowing me down, as well as making it harder for my fingers to come in a perpendicular angle. So now I am back to being an electric guitar on leg guy. If I manage to become a not so big a belly guy, I may be able to go back to being a electric strap while sitting guy.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I just looked at lesson one were Griff talks about how to position the guitar while sitting. He did not mention playing with the strap on all the time and I'm kind of wondering why not. I play with a strap on at all times and my guitar is in the exact same position always: standing, stitting, kneeling, whatever. Does anyone else play always strapped as well? Thoughts on this?
I'm an always strapper!

Elwood

Blues
Me too Moto! I might play a few quick bars without one or if I'm in some bad posture with the mini, but otherwise I have straps. Like I saw Moto post in another thread, they all have their own strap (they are each different right?) Looking at MarkDyson's photo by his post I think I use about the same height too. I bet this is one reason why there is such concern over playing while standing. With the strap adjusted to my version of "properly" standing or sitting does not matter that much in playing. The relationship between me and the guitar stays pretty constant, the legs do something different. They aren't playing anyway.;) Yup, strap, almost all the time here.

Last edited:

artyman

Fareham UK
If I have the strap adjusted for sitting it's higher than I am comfortable with when standing so I have the length set for standing, and perch it on my knee, I do have a footstool though.