Looper

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Is there a recommended looper? I am a beginner but am getting to the point where I would like to lay down some rhythm tracks for solo practice.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Like most gear these days, you can go deep, go cheap or go big.
There are sooooooooooo many ways to go it's hard to say what's "best".
Having said that, the Ditto is a nice simple pedal with a small format for under $100.

I think the single biggest feature that gets you to the next level is loopers that can store and transfer audio file back and forth with the computer.
Personally, I don't use those.
I've owned many loopers and found the more complicated ones to be more of a project rather then a fun tool.

artyman

Fareham UK
I can recommend a NUX Loop Core, has 6 hours recording time, up to 99 stored tracks and built in drum, can save to and load from PC great pedal $99 from Amazon

dwparker

Bluesologist
I've got a Boss Rc-3. Works fine. I'm not convinced there is a huge difference in the quality between Boss, Digitech, EHX, NuX, etc. at this level of model, and that it really boils down to what features you want.

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Which looper last well on a Battery power I would like to know?
straightforward to use?,anyone know what looper Griff use in his teaching demos?

dwparker

Bluesologist
In the all access area, the 2018 session on home recording 2 the thumbnail shows Griff using a Boss RC-3 with an additional Boss Fs-5u pedal, probably to help with starts and stops.

Elwood

Blues
RC-3 here. It does way more than I do but it is easy to run simple stuff on. Built like a tank. Tons of storage, I/O. You don't need an expensive BOSS footswitch either, the rc-3 is pricey enough. Battery run time seems great (don't remember) but a simple 9v battery swap gets you up if it does go dead unexpectedly. I use a suitable power supply. Nice simple e-drummer in there too. I saw Griff stomping on one of these and, well,

Just purchased a TC Electronics Ditto looper from my local shop for $99. Made my decision based on ease of use (I'm a rank novice when it comes to effects and foot pedals), size and cost.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm a big fan of loopers.
I hope you find it to be a very useful tool and lots of fun.

On a separate thread you asked about pedal positions in your signal path.
I believe the looper is best at the end of the chain.
When positioned there, you can choose to feed clean or over driven tones to the looper.

How that can be useful is as follows:
You play a clean chord progression and record that as your base loop.
Then you can mess around with various pickup selections, tone variations and O/D tones as your lead, on top of that.
I believe that would be a vary common way to use a looper for practice.

Having said that, the looper can be a useful tool in other ways.
I've got a very elaborate signal path with several pedals and multiple amps that can be switched in and out.
I have two loopers.
The one at the end of my signal path is used as I described.
I also use a Ditto at the very beginning of my signal path.
I use that one to record a short sample.
It continues to play that loop, sending it through the rest of my pedals/amps.
While that plays I can put down the guitar and tweak the controls on the pedals, dial in the amp controls and test any combination of my tone pallet.
In the same way, it can help me find connection or wiring issues along the path allowing me to have a guitar signal playing while I check for loose wires, bad cables etc..

Anyways...........enjoy your looper!
(y)

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Ditto X2 for me, easiest looper I've ever used but it is a one trick pony which is ok for me as I only use it for practice.