To Quilter or not...

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Being off a mind to consider a new amp about now, I am interested in a lightweight weight, great sounding amp for a reasonable cost.

I've never seen a Quilter amp, though I have heard they are awesome....I have considered the Quilter Mach 2 with a 12" speaker... They are $1100 bucks.

The first problem is I am not really worthy of such a high grade amp but... I think I can get it for $950, which I am still not worthy. The most I have spent on an amp is about $300.

I called around the local shops and no one has one on hand, but I was lucky enough to find a 3 year old used one BUT... it has a 10" speaker [and a 12" extension cabinet!!!] I have only had 12" speakers [thus far] and wonder about a 10" speaker. I have not seen it ... yet.

So my dillemmas are ... am I worthy of a used Quilter and would the Mach 2 even with the 10" speaker still be awesome... ?

Thanks in advance for any useful responses.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
try finding a used bluguitar amp1,,blows quilter out of the water,,but the quilters are certainly good if you find one at the right price

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
am I worthy of a used Quilter
Heck yeah you're worthy of it! The older I get the more I am convinced that I am worthy of whatever gear I can afford and purchase with a clear conscience. So what if everybody else can play circles around me and I struggle playing a basic blues in A. So what if I use it once and it gets relegated to the closet to eventually get sold on Reverb. So what if my buddy really wishes he had one but can't get the scratch together to get his own. If I can afford that CS Strat and Dumble amp, then by golly that's what I get to play, and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

I've never played a Quilter, so I don't really have an opinion on them. As for the 10 vs 12 inch speakers, I've got 2 of each of those cabs for my Blackhearts. To my ear, there's not that much difference in the two sizes. The 12 inch can get boomy if you don't eq them, but that's all I notice. You just have to be on top of the bass tone control with them a little more than with the 10s. I wouldn't sweat the smaller speaker.

You might, also, try out one of those new Fender Tone Masters. They're in that same price range, and I've only heard good things about them. One of the things everyone has been talking about with them is how light they are. From what I've been seeing, they're like half the weight of their all-tube counterparts (23lbs vs 42lbs for the Deluxe Reverb).

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I've used 10 and 12 inch speaker cabs with my Quilter 101 Mini. Both sound great. You can get deeper bass with the 12", but both can play louder than I'll ever need.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
JestMe, you sent me a message saying you have an opportunity to buy a used MicroPro 10" with a 12" extension cab for $775.00 and that both are in great shape, asking my advice. That is less than half the price of new and if they truly are in great shape, my advice is JUMP ON IT! Both of my speakers are the HD 12" variety and I have no experience with others. But there are LOTS of guys on the Quilter Guitar Amplifier Owners group on Facebook who DO. This always someone on there trying different brand speakers, home-made cabinets, you name it. So far I have not seen a bad outcome. There are a TON of guys who routinely gig with just the little 8" MicroPro. So my thinking is the 10" combo with a 12" extension is more than you will ever need to gig with. You may not feel "worthy" right now, but this would be a set-up you will never outgrow.

If you are concerned about buying a used amp, forget about it ... Pat Quilter stands behind his products like nobody else in the business. People on the Owners Group attest to that. Pat has always answered my emails promptly, fully and courteously, and I have to admit to trying his patience to the max. I doubt very much that will find better service anywhere.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
JestMe, you sent me a message saying you have an opportunity to buy a used MicroPro 10" with a 12" extension cab for $775.00 and that both are in great shape, asking my advice. That is less than half the price of new and if they truly are in great shape, my advice is JUMP ON IT! Both of my speakers are the HD 12" variety and I have no experience with others. But there are LOTS of guys on the Quilter Guitar Amplifier Owners group on Facebook who DO. This always someone on there trying different brand speakers, home-made cabinets, you name it. So far I have not seen a bad outcome. There are a TON of guys who routinely gig with just the little 8" MicroPro. So my thinking is the 10" combo with a 12" extension is more than you will ever need to gig with. You may not feel "worthy" right now, but this would be a set-up you will never outgrow.

If you are concerned about buying a used amp, forget about it ... Pat Quilter stands behind his products like nobody else in the business. People on the Owners Group attest to that. Pat has always answered my emails promptly, fully and courteously, and I have to admit to trying his patience to the max. I doubt very much that will find better service anywhere.

Good to see you back RR, been missing your posts. :Beer:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Good to see you back RR, been missing your posts. :Beer:
No, I haven't croaked. I just finished sending this to Paparaptor who was asking the same thing.

Been having too much fun playing with my new motorcycle!
index.php

I hadn't ridden in 18 years, so had to "learn to ride" again. There is a HUGE little-used parking lot close to my house so I have been spending untold hours in there getting my low-speed skills back to where they used to be ... sudden stops, swerving, tight U-turns, Cone Weave, all the stuff you seldom use but that can save your life.

I am the same way with bikes as I am guitars, screwing with everything and anal as hell. I used to ride for primary transportation in Phoenix as well as a lot of touring. So I know how I want a bike set up. This bike has only been out for about a year. So there are virtually no saddle bags or bag mounting hardware available for it. It took me uncounted Google hours trying to find a pannier mounting set-up that would work, then had to hack, saw, weld, grind, paint on that, and had to replace the rear turn signals with shorter ones to make the pannier mounts work. And just like with may guitars I am anal about everything, and being anal eats up time more than trying to make Adam Schiff honest. But as you can see I got 'er done.

Next was figuring out how to get a 2nd set of forward foot pegs on it so I can get the kinks out on long rides. Same drill as the saddle bags. But I got that done too ... finally.

Next up was finding a seat that doesn't make my butt numb after an hour. Three seats later I finally hit pay dirt. You are welcome to call me Numbnuts but when my butt gets numb it's all over.

Next was finding a windshield that would work well. More weeks on Google.

The three weeks trying to find a LED headlight that works well with the existing wiring harness, etc. ... and got that done.

Then finding something to replace the "meep meep" horns with something that goes 'HONK! HONK!" and that would fit where the old horns were. Another long search. Never mind that the headlight dims when I honk the horn. My Freeway Blasters are LOUD!

Decent grips. Better mirrors. Charging lead on the battery. GPS unit and wiring that up. Knee pads. Handlebar risers. Louder silencers.

Next was getting a touring trunk put together. I never carry a passenger, so I put together something that mounts over the rear seat with a back rest.
index.php

That meant lining the leather trunk with 1/8" plywood to make it rigid enough and strong enough for the back rest.

Right now I am finalizing what is the end of a 6-month search at least an hour every day. Finding some goddamned alloy wheels so I can run tubeless tires! My favorite touring roads here in Idaho wind through the Rocky Mountains. Unfortunately there are 100-mile stretches of those roads with NOTHING on them and NO CELL SERVICE. With tube tires my only option is to pack 40 lbs of tire irons, spare tubes, scissors jack, and other tools, and spend two hours removing a wheel and changing a tube if I get a puncture. I could fix a tubeless puncture in 15 minutes with half a pound of stuff. In 6 months of constant searching, fuming and swearing, I finally found a place in Italy that makes a unique type of spoked wheel that is tubeless. I would have to send my existing wheels clear to Italy for them to take measurements, then pay them over three grand to custom-build me a set of wheels. I was just about resigned to that, then what I consider a miracle happened. Some guy on the Royal Enfield group on Facebook heard my ranting and turned me on to a guy in Colorado who has a big RE dealership and also specializes in building custom bikes (and wheels are a big part of that). He can get me these wheels for just under $1,000.00 and will powder coat them to my preference.
index.php

Just sent him the dinero this morning.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
P.S. My guitar playing is taking another hit besides "motorcycle neglect". My diabetes has decided to make the little finger on my left hand numb.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Thanks all for your inputs. I'm working on arranging to see the amp...

RR good luck with the diabetes, hope you can get back to playing again real soon.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Thanks all for your inputs. I'm working on arranging to see the amp...

RR good luck with the diabetes, hope you can get back to playing again real soon.
That darned bike has completely taken over for the time being.
I will get back to playing, just don't know exactly when.