Vibrato

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
As long as I've been playing guitar I've been using vibrato. Vibrato has always been very natural for me as long as I pull towards the small strings. On the high e string somehow I was able to also get vibrato. But since the last BGU Live and Lake Arrowhead I realized I need to have vibrato by pushing towards the heavy strings. So I've been working on this action since then. I just thought I would post this for others that may also be working on this as I have. I have found that after all of my practice that the Modes Unleashed course is a very good course to implement this method of vibrato pushing towards the heavy strings. The Modes Unleashed course just has a good rhythm and timing that allows what feels like a real time vibrato play. :Beer:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I have been working on bending the low strings by pulling down towards the high strings and adding vibrato lately.

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Are there exercises in BGU to help develop vibrato? The only vibrato I am able to accomplish is "violin vibrato" which of course is movement on the longitude of the string since violins are not fretted. It is ok provided I am right behind the fret, but ineffective if I am more to the center of the fret. When I do it it feels like I am using someone else's hand.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Are there exercises in BGU to help develop vibrato? The only vibrato I am able to accomplish is "violin vibrato" which of course is movement on the longitude of the string since violins are not fretted. It is ok provided I am right behind the fret, but ineffective if I am more to the center of the fret. When I do it it feels like I am using someone else's hand.
I think the reason why the Modes Unleashed course works well for this is it's not a course that emphasizes speed like the Speed Building courses. The Modes Unleashed is played at a more reasonable tempo. Having said that you can work on vibrato with the speed building courses at the slower speeds but when you get to the faster speeds necessity requires fewer vibrato pushes or pulls. Level 3 is moving pretty fast! So the Speed Building courses are good too at the slower speeds and they are using the pentatonic scale which might be easier to play and understand. What I had to do with adding this new vibrato skill is just go slow. Put your fingers on a single string and push up, release, push up, release, repeat. Then try the pull down vibrato the same way. You may have to push up and then pull down if your fingers don't understand how to release? I find that the middle strings are mo betta for this. It's just important to get the fingers to understand this new movement and get them to be able to do it slowly. Then when you are comfortable, work on speed. The speed building courses are good for this. Good luck! :Beer:

Last edited:

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
I think the reason why the Modes Unleashed course works well for this is it's not a course that emphasizes speed like the Speed Building courses. The Modes Unleashed is played at a more reasonable tempo. Having said that you can work on vibrato with the speed building courses at the slower speeds but when you get to the faster speeds necessity requires fewer vibrato pushes or pulls. Level 3 is moving pretty fast! So the Speed Building courses are good too at the slower speeds and they are using the pentatonic scale which might be easier to play and understand. What I had to do with adding this new vibrato skill is just go slow. Put your fingers on a single string and push up, release, push up, release, repeat. Then try the pull down vibrato the same way. You may have to push up and then pull down if your fingers don't understand how to release? I find that the middle strings are mo betta for this. It's just important to get the fingers to understand this new movement and get them to be able to do it slowly. Then when you are comfortable, work on speed. The speed building courses are good for this. Good luck! :Beer:
Thanks). I just need to tough it out

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks). I just need to tough it out

@Griff has always said the vibrato is just something that eventually happens. I've noticed that for me, vibrato from each finger is a different style/depth/speed. After reading this thread, I was paying closer attention to it on some stock riffs I use. The only finger where I use the 'violin vibrato' is my pinky.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
The Skunk @paparaptor kept telling me in Glenn's Falls, that he had a vibrato device. Not sure how it works, cuz he never showed it to me. All I know is it went through a heck of a lot of batteries, made a loud humming noise, followed by "Oh baby, Oh baby" and apparently only works in the bathroom..

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I've got my own little pet theory (that I've never heard anyone else espouse) that I put a "little sugar" on notes because I can hear they are "naturally" out of tune due to equal temperament and I'm "wavering" them back in (and out). Which in itself sounds cool.

That's why it comes totally "naturally" to me? My ear "needs" to hear notes in tune.

I've never "consciously" added vibrato.o_O

There was a time I completely gave up on guitar because I thought my ears were "bad" and I could never get a guitar to play in tune.

Until I learned they can't (and my ears are fine).:)

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
So why shouldn't you do vibrato by pulling down? I had never thought about it, but it seems that's what I'm doing too.
The one thing I can think about is that since you do most bend by pushing up (towards the heavy strings), it makes added vibrato to a bend easier (something that I struggle with and maybe now I know why).

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
So why shouldn't you do vibrato by pulling down? I had never thought about it, but it seems that's what I'm doing too.
The one thing I can think about is that since you do most bend by pushing up (towards the heavy strings), it makes added vibrato to a bend easier (something that I struggle with and maybe now I know why).
There is no reason why not and plenty of reasons to use vibrato by pulling down. I see Griff also using vibrato by pulling down as well. It's another tool in the bag as far as I see it. I think the hard part of using vibrato by pushing up toward the heavy strings is that's usually done at the same time I bend up a step or two. So the hard part is first bending to proper pitch, and then applying vibrato up at that new pitch without loosing that pitch. Otherwise I'll just add vibrato by pulling down and keep the pitch of the fretted note. Make sense? :Beer:

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
First three strings bend up, last three strings bend down.
Pretty standard stuff except that I generally use a violin vibrato only on the first string.

For some reason it just works out better for me that way.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
My vibrato developed after I stopped "trying" to do it a certain way. Some strings I push, others I pull. I really don't think about it anymore. Batteries not included.
Yes, That's how I started too. And then I discovered bending up a tone to pitch, holding it, and applying vibrato at that pitch without loosing that pitch. I read an article a few years ago where Clapton said the only thing he practiced anymore was his bends...... It's not that easy if one of the best in the world still practices that skill, say nothing about then adding vibrato. :Beer:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
vibrato and bending end up being a personal preference...combining both just seems to happen as you play...hand strength, string gauge, guitar action, location of fretboard, etc all factor in...I could always identify BB King based on his vibrato...same with SRV...just another rabbit hole...later.

cowboy

btw, anyone notice how little Jimmie Vaughan bends?...

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
vibrato and bending end up being a personal preference...combining both just seems to happen as you play...hand strength, string gauge, guitar action, location of fretboard, etc all factor in...I could always identify BB King based on his vibrato...same with SRV...just another rabbit hole...later.

cowboy

btw, anyone notice how little Jimmie Vaughan bends?...
Perhaps that is why I never found Jimmy Vaughan's guitar playing very interesting? :Beer: