Any suggestions on counting?

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I mentioned this before, but when you get to be my age, you get to repeat yourself! :)

Back in the mid 1960's, I had a band mate, named John. John kept perfect time, but he had a terrible habit! :confused: He tapped his left foot out of time, and like he was having a total nervous breakdown!

This was a great distraction, so we placed John, at the very far left of our group, where John's foot could not be seen by us! :cool::Beer:

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I think that you are correct, but would like to offer the possibility of considering binary. If that were the case (binary) we would start on 0! ;):Beer:

Tom

Well, in binary it would actually be "000", but I get your point.

If you count off starting with "one", it would be: 001, 010, 011, 100. Which, if enunciated, would set up a nice triplet/shuffle pattern.

Ok, that's enough.
Back to NFL Red Zone. :)

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
David do you tap a foot with the count, or tap a finger or in some way do something physical to go with the out loud counting? If not this may help.

SmokeyMcElroy

Blues Newbie
Thank you all very much for all of your answers, comments, and advice. Hopefully this thread will continue and I can put it all together and solve this problem that I have. And Griff thank you for taking the time to answer as I know you are very busy!

To give a little history so as to hopefully bring out whatever it is that I'm lacking which is causing the "beat" problem I have. As a child some way I missed out on the music classes at school. I have no idea how. I only learned how to read music notes 2 years ago and then tabs (I prefer notes). I have from my teen years on loved old country, folk, and blues. I have fooled around with the guitar during this same time. I really can't play anything all the way through. My problem is that I can't "feel" the beat in a long enough piece of time to continue. I can do it with the metronome but not by myself.

And Griff I am not presently studying any of your courses although I own a lot of them and am a monthly member. I am working with a lot of various songs and tunes and consistently studying theory. I have delved into a lot of your courses and still have them open without much recent progress.

Please all that read this continue with the advice. But don't tell me to quit because I will overcome this! Some way, some how, and by following you all's advice until something clicks!
Thanks again, all. (y)

Smokey

Mireyes1

Blues Newbie
My problem is that I can't "feel" the beat in a long enough piece of time to continue. I can do it with the metronome but not by myself.

I am having real trouble counting out loud while playing. I am capable of either counting in time(ish) or playing but apparently not both at the same time.

David and SmokeyMcElroy... you guys are not alone and your troubles aren't as bad as they sound.

I actually have double-trouble. (1) I can't feel the beat and (2) I can't hear chord changes.

Nevertheless, I never tell myself.. "I can't..."

Instead... I tell myself... "I currently struggle with feeling the beat..." or "I currently struggle with hearing the chord changes".

Whenever I have trouble finding the beat (or correct timing) I use a metronome on my phone. (I downloaded a free app). The metronome I use has the option to hear a "voice" count... "One... Two... Three... Four..." in lieu of the clicks.

Hearing the metronome count... "One... Two... Three... Four..." helps me internalize the counting process. I'm confident hearing the repeating voice count over and over again will help you internalize the counting process too.

I recommend downloading a free metronome app with a "voice" option in lieu of the clicks.
  • Then I would practice the piece of music with the voice metronome... (without counting out loud)
  • Once you can play along with the metronome voice... practice counting out loud along with the metronome voice
  • Once you can comfortably play and count with the metronome voice... try turning off the metronome and count out loud by yourself without the metronome
  • I'm confident you'll be amazed with the results
This will not be easy... and don't expect immediate results. It may take a few days... or a few weeks (depending on how much you practice) to be able to count your piece of music.

One thing I noticed using this technique is that I'll eventually be able to accurately count whatever piece of music I am currently working on. You might say... I can Master it.

However, once I move on to another piece of music that requires me to count... it's like starting all over again. It's like I don't know how to count again.

The bottom line is...
  • You currently struggle with counting
  • You can do it if you practice
  • You must practice... practice... and practice
  • Once you master one piece of music... move on to another piece of music and start the entire process all over again
Using a metronome with a voice in lieu of clicks has helped me with my counting issues. I actually prefer the voice option rather than the clicks because if I get lost... all I have to do is wait for the "One" to come around again.

Let me know if this technique works for you guys.

SmokeyMcElroy

Blues Newbie
I recommend downloading a free metronome app with a "voice" option in lieu of the clicks.
  • Then I would practice the piece of music with the voice metronome... (without counting out loud)
  • Once you can play along with the metronome voice... practice counting out loud along with the metronome voice
  • Once you can comfortably play and count with the metronome voice... try turning off the metronome and count out loud by yourself without the metronome
Mireyes1 thank you! I sure do like the sound of this and will give a shot. Also I'm going to try the advice that Mountain man has offered about learning to count, tap, and fake strum all at the same time, in time ! If I could get that down it looks like I would "feel" the beat. Thanks all!! Whoopee!!!
Smokey

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Perhaps just listening to lots of music you enjoy and just count to the beat, nothing else. Then listen to the changes, if you can't hear them then try something like counting the first 4 bars and listen for the change in the next 2 bars and so on. Forget about a quick change as this is just an ear development practice. Hope this helps.

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
I am having real trouble counting out loud while playing. I am capable of either counting in time(ish) or playing but apparently not both at the same time.

I can count out loud and play if I only say the beats on which I hit the strings .e.g 1 - 2 & - & 4 - for the most popular strum. However, as soon as I start counting the full 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & I end up hitting strings on beats when I shouldn't which throws the whole thing off into either a jumble or just a constant set of eighth notes.

I did ok on BBG but I must admit to not counting out loud much. I knew this was a weak spot so bought SRM but didn't fully appreciate how weak it was :(
David, I posted this on another thread and I hear you about the counting and playing. Try the Soundbrenner metronome app on your phone. It will subdivide the beat and provide a voice counting. I would not use it all the time because it will become a crutch but it certainly helps me get started and then I just "take off the training wheels".