Issue with my us G&L 500

MarcLevac

Blues Newbie
Hey guys maybe some pointers

My new to me G&L don’t stay in toon especially when I use the tremolo set it up like every other guitar I had

But that one is nasty it seem like , whether forward or backward it somehow stays low or high pitch took it apart no interference with the body of the guitar but the screw seems a little worn can that cause that need help

Thanks guys

Marc

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Are the strings binding in the nut? Could also try to lubricate the nut. Other folks will have more suggestions. Good luck.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Those screws have grooves in them. The body of the bridge has a knife edge that rides or pivots in those grooves. If the edge is mashed down, or the grooves are torn up then the tremolo is not going to work.

It's important when making adjustments for the bridge plate height that you lower the tension on the strings. You shouldn't try to adjust that with full tension on the strings. You don't have to remove them completely, just lower the tension to about 20%.

If the threads are worn so that the screw is too loose in the threads, then it might cause a problem. But the string tension should take care of that.

I saw someone on the G&L site say they needed to go from 2 to 3 springs in the tremolo inside the guitar body to get it to stay in tune.

It could also be the nut. The slots have to be big enough for the strings that you are using.

There are a lot of things that can cause a guitar not to stay in tune very well. The best I have are my Squire Classic Vibe Tel's and my parts caster with the Floyd Rose. I have seen those guitars stay in tune for months!

MarcLevac

Blues Newbie
T
Those screws have grooves in them. The body of the bridge has a knife edge that rides or pivots in those grooves. If the edge is mashed down, or the grooves are torn up then the tremolo is not going to work.

It's important when making adjustments for the bridge plate height that you lower the tension on the strings. You shouldn't try to adjust that with full tension on the strings. You don't have to remove them completely, just lower the tension to about 20%.

If the threads are worn so that the screw is too loose in the threads, then it might cause a problem. But the string tension should take care of that.

I saw someone on the G&L site say they needed to go from 2 to 3 springs in the tremolo inside the guitar body to get it to stay in tune.

It could also be the nut. The slots have to be big enough for the strings that you are using.

There are a lot of things that can cause a guitar not to stay in tune very well. The best I have are my Squire Classic Vibe Tel's and my parts caster with the Floyd Rose. I have seen those guitars stay in tune for months!
Thanks for the help will take it apart again to make sure I didn’t miss nothing

ronico

rainyislandblues
Hi Marc! If you are a tinkerer or keen on guitar DIY stuff check out Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide or some of the free tutorials on the StewMac website. Would post a link but sadly that's above my pay grade:notworthy:

MarcLevac

Blues Newbie
Hi Marc! If you are a tinkerer or keen on guitar DIY stuff check out Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide or some of the free tutorials on the StewMac website. Would post a link but sadly that's above my pay grade:notworthy:
Hi ronico
I been thru a lot of those video, but forgot about the StewMac tutorials will take a look
Thanks for the help.

MarcLevac

Blues Newbie

Hey CapnDenny1 May have a bigger issue then I think, took everything apart again and paid attention to a lot of things you guys said, and it turns out I think, the hole fulcrum vibrato is shot.

The two sharp edges, are in bad shape flat area the two floating screws are loose in the thread one more then the other, and the saddles are really grooved strings imprinted so I think it’s going to cost me a full vibrato...
My only worrie is even with new screws that comes with the hole kit, will they be tight in the female side.....???

Wow costly learning curve...

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I think the loose threads are not a big deal. The tension on the strings will pull to the side and make it tight. Make sure the grooves in those screws are not chewed up too.

One of the problems with G&L, nothing that fits Fender will fit. I just looked up the whole tremolo from G&L and it’s $100. That better than the $200 I spend on PRS tremolos.

MarcLevac

Blues Newbie
I think the loose threads are not a big deal. The tension on the strings will pull to the side and make it tight. Make sure the grooves in those screws are not chewed up too.

One of the problems with G&L, nothing that fits Fender will fit. I just looked up the whole tremolo from G&L and it’s $100. That better than the $200 I spend on PRS tremolos.
I hear you, but there’s always the issue to get them up here in Montreal no dealers, too bad I love that guitar, the tones you get out of that guitar is just great ..... hope that fixes the problem!
Thanks again for the help it s appreciated