Using amp as JUST power amp

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I've been reading that I can bypass the preamp in both my Monoprice 15w and Mustang 3 as well as the modeling on the M3 if I just plug my pedals or my Zoom G5n into the FX Return jack . Anyone know if this is true?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Yep. Sure can. If you want to process your preamp tone outside the amplifier that's the way to do it.

If it's a tube amp you can still get tube saturation out of the power amp if you push the master, or run the input signal up.

Last edited:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yes you can do that.

You can also just run it into the normal input. Just set your tone controls to the midpoint, and keep the gain down and the master up, which gives you a clean signal.

Most guitar amps don't color the sound that much in the preamp, unless you are running it into the gain input.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Yes you can do that.

You can also just run it into the normal input. Just set your tone controls to the midpoint, and keep the gain down and the master up, which gives you a clean signal.

Most guitar amps don't color the sound that much in the preamp, unless you are running it into the gain input.
Trying to avoid the modeling of the m3.i like the sound of the JTM-45 in my G5n. And I'm trying to copy some of the presets of the mustang into my G5n also to play through my monoprice 15w and I don't want to run it through 2 amp Models.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The M3 also has a "flat" model, I think it's called Studio Preamp or something like that which won't change the tone, in case you find it easier to plug in the top rather than the back.