Nace cabinet ? WTB

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Don’t know if it will work but here’s a link to my setup, just sold a Fargen MiniPlex MK11 to make room for the upcoming Nace.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l4s8ki6omsr198/Photo 2019-10-21, 10 30 42 AM.jpg?dl=0

Can’t seem to be able to post the pic directly...

Having a hard time justifying two Strats to my wife myself, how did you do that... Lol
Nice looking collection. My Gibson and Martin collection is larger than my strat collection. So if you have a hard time justifying two strat's to the wife maybe she is fine with additional shapes? That's it! A Flying V, Explorer, Firebird, Jaguar, Tele, Wolfgang, BillyBo, there are so many more shapes!! Good luck. And You can tell the wife both of your strats are completely different, the neck, the pups (the SRV has Texas pups, I'm not sure what the other one is), It looks like you need one with a maple finger board? All of mine feel and sound different and they all have different single coil pups. So I play them a little different........ but I've got no wife to convince, just a beagle puppy and she is fine with me getting a nother guitar. :Beer:

JoelPoirier

Blues Newbie
The other one is a Jeff Beck signature Strat so noiseless JB pickups.
I do agree that all guitars are different and bring something else from playing them but I only play once at a time
And that’s what makes it hard for my wife to understand. Lol

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I do agree that all guitars are different and bring something else from playing them but I only play once at a time

I've mentioned this before, but bears repeating. My wife and I both play golf. When explaining why guitars are different I compared them to why she has 14 different clubs in her bag even though she can only swing one at a time. :Beer:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
So one has ceramic magnet noiseless pups and the other has Texas Special pups. It sounds like you need a strat with regular strat pups. The new Pro models are really great and the necks are really nice too. :Beer:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Those are apples and oranges @Crossroads. Sure the Nace cab is not cheap but compared to the original list price at $600+ it's priced to sell. Nace has impeccable quality and anyone who owns one would most likely agree. The original list price as I recall was one reason why when I bought my Pro-18 head I got 2 Carvin Vintage cabs brand new. No doubt that Marshall 4 driver slant back looks great and also brand new (BTW I love my Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee). But I think you would have a heck of a time driving a 120 watt 4 speaker cab with 18 watts from the Nace. I'm sure there are plenty other cabs that are priced right that would be a better match for the Pro-18. :Beer:

I think I get a pretty full sound and plenty loud in my music room with my set up but I need more power to really drive my double cabs. I was really hoping that Art was going to finish developing a Pro-50.... Here is my Nace Pro-18, Carvin Vintage Stack, along with Eric:

View attachment 9263
Art is a good friend, and frankly if he was still in business I wouldn't be commenting on the price. That said we're dealing with an unknown vendor on Ebay with a starting price of 380. I've known Art since 2012 when I bought my M1 18r combo. so I'm pretty familiar with the design, construction as well as the pricing history. As you said, Arts design and construction is of the highest order, and that cabinet still holds a 10-year d o m warranty. As far as the Marshall I was just throwing it out as a comparison not as a recommendation.
In the end the value is up to the buyer I can only offer him my opinion that I would be looking at a target price about half what that guy is asking. That said they're not making them anymore, so the price of Poker has obviously gotten up. In the end the value is up to the buyer

Last edited:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I just wanted to second the Vintage speaker from . I have a combo I used to have under the bench. It had some issues, so I just used it for a test speaker when I fixed an amp and needed to hook a speaker up to test it. I noticed several times amps sounded pretty good, but when I put them into their original cab with the original speaker, they didn't sound nearly as good. I finally figured out it was the Carving Vintage speaker in the Carvin combo amp that sounded so nice.

The new V-Type speaker from Celestion is a really nice sounding speaker as well. That is what both of the PRS Sonzera amps I bought came with.

I think I remember soumone saying Art preferred an Eminence speaker, but like the stand-by switch people seemed to want Celestion, so he put in Celestion. I may have that wrong. It might have been this Celestion vs that Celestion?

A completely sealed speaker is not as loud as an open back or a ported speaker. Especially in the bass, but the open back has a more open sound. Duhh! A closed speaker cab needs to be bigger in volume for a given speaker size also, or else it sounds small and boxy.

JoelPoirier

Blues Newbie
So one has ceramic magnet noiseless pups and the other has Texas Special pups. It sounds like you need a strat with regular strat pups. The new Pro models are really great and the necks are really nice too. :Beer:

There you go.
I’ll give you her phone number so you can explain it to her.

In fact I’ve been eyeing a used G&L Legacy USA lately and I do have a big GAS towards an Eric Johnson Strat but never found a used one at a reasonable distance from where I live.

Got the SG for sale as she’s the one that sees the less use lately as great as she is I end up picking up a Strat most of the time.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I just wanted to second the Vintage speaker from . I have a combo I used to have under the bench. It had some issues, so I just used it for a test speaker when I fixed an amp and needed to hook a speaker up to test it. I noticed several times amps sounded pretty good, but when I put them into their original cab with the original speaker, they didn't sound nearly as good. I finally figured out it was the Carving Vintage speaker in the Carvin combo amp that sounded so nice.

The new V-Type speaker from Celestion is a really nice sounding speaker as well. That is what both of the PRS Sonzera amps I bought came with.

I think I remember soumone saying Art preferred an Eminence speaker, but like the stand-by switch people seemed to want Celestion, so he put in Celestion. I may have that wrong. It might have been this Celestion vs that Celestion?

A completely sealed speaker is not as loud as an open back or a ported speaker. Especially in the bass, but the open back has a more open sound. Duhh! A closed speaker cab needs to be bigger in volume for a given speaker size also, or else it sounds small and boxy.

Interesting points Capn. I'm a big fan of the Carvin Vintage series as I have the 16, 33, and 50 watt models. I thought I was done and then I found the Nace Pro-18 combo......... and then when I got the Pro-18 head so for me the idea of getting the Carvin Vintage cabs was a no brainer (I've got 2). I now have the Nace closed back cab. I got the Nace cab several years after the Carvin Vintage cab's. I ran the Nace cab in parallel with a Carvin Vintage and although the Nace has a high quality, the Carvin Vintage quality is high but might be a rung lower, I actually prefer the Carvin Vintage cab's tone. So my Carvin Vintage amps are my choice if I'm going to the seedy part of town to play an open jam. And I'm pretty comfortable with them. The nice thing I can also do since I've 2 cabs is place a Vintage 33 or the Nomad 50 on top of one and have a little stack. It's nice to have options for a fuller sound that don't weigh 50 lbs (like the 2x12 double speaker Belair) to schlep around.

After your discussion on the closed back vs open back I may want to try taking a panel off my Nace cab? I read an article once that the big difference between open and closed was the direction and focusing of the sound where you would like it to go, not about the tonal quality you may get......... I would like the Nace cab to be a little warmer.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
There you go.
I’ll give you her phone number so you can explain it to her.

In fact I’ve been eyeing a used G&L Legacy USA lately and I do have a big GAS towards an Eric Johnson Strat but never found a used one at a reasonable distance from where I live.

Got the SG for sale as she’s the one that sees the less use lately as great as she is I end up picking up a Strat most of the time.
Just so you know. My Eric Johnson is my #1 strat. Followed by the Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Am Pro, Am Standard.

Bring the wife to the next BGU Live and I'll explain it to her....... maybe as we all toast with our favorite adult beverage!

JoelPoirier

Blues Newbie

I tested several speakers with my other amps to finally find the one that "matches" the amp and the rest of my gear as I play it.

Sometimes it’s an expensive one and sometimes a cheaper one, no price nor brand are a sure warranty that it will please my ears.

Hence the questioning about speaker choices from the people who actually used the amp.

It’s great to be able to share our experience.

Would be VERY interested about which Eminence speaker Art did prefer with the Pro-18 !?

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
View attachment 9271
I tested several speakers with my other amps to finally find the one that "matches" the amp and the rest of my gear as I play it.

Sometimes it’s an expensive one and sometimes a cheaper one, no price nor brand are a sure warranty that it will please my ears.

Hence the questioning about speaker choices from the people who actually used the amp.

It’s great to be able to share our experience.

Would be VERY interested about which Eminence speaker Art did prefer with the Pro-18 !?
I just checked my Pro-18.
it's got a Celestion G12 M Greenback in it.

Last edited:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
My Nace M1-18R came from Art with an Eminence Legend 12" in the BIG (22 1/2" by 25") cabinet. I've never had it near half volume (tiny room) but turned way down it has the sweetest bell like tones I've ever heard. Due to my small space I need a pedal to get any grit out of it. :thumbup:

JoelPoirier

Blues Newbie
My Nace M1-18R came from Art with an Eminence Legend 12" in the BIG (22 1/2" by 25") cabinet. I've never had it near half volume (tiny room) but turned way down it has the sweetest bell like tones I've ever heard. Due to my small space I need a pedal to get any grit out of it. :thumbup:
Do you know which Legend it is ?
From my understanding Legend is a serie of speakers that includes several models.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
@JoelPoirier I just looked up my Reverb account and see that I paid $100 less than the ebay listing I posted above. So I paid $274.50 for my Nace cab. Reverb does not say if that included shipping or not (I think it did) but I forget. You might try offering the ebay lister less $$?

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Do you know which Legend it is ?
From my understanding Legend is a serie of speakers that includes several models.
Nothing of note on the magnet or frame but the cone is printed with 12821 4309. shrug-smiley (50x50) (2).jpg

yomwg5q450fpksp7kcxk.jpg

JoelPoirier

Blues Newbie
@JoelPoirier I just looked up my Reverb account and see that I paid $100 less than the ebay listing I posted above. So I paid $274.50 for my Nace cab. Reverb does not say if that included shipping or not (I think it did) but I forget. You might try offering the ebay lister less $$?

Thanks for the info
I feel the asked price is a bit much, especially when I add the shipping and duties.
I paid 300$ cdn (230$usd) for Orange or Mesa 1x12 cabs locally which are great cabs by themselves.
Would like to have a matching cab but wondering if it’s worth it...
Should receive the head at the end of the week, will try my cab and see.
Will probably try to make an offer, if it works then it was for me and if not I will wait and see.