Some observations related to the "Boxes" session

PCM

Spring, Texas
In "Slow Blues Supplement" and "Major Minor Blues Shapes" Griff discusses some of the following concepts.

In SBS at least check out:

0:00-3:15 Introduction
0:00-3:10 Lesson 1 (Relative keys)
0:00-1:00 Lesson 2 (Root notes as anchors)
4:43-7:10 Lesson 2 (Right facing-Left facing)

In MMBS, the Intro: Mental gymnastics of "shifting" boxes 3 frets and Roots as "pivot points"
Another way to think about it is that you aren't shifting a box 3 frets, you're shifting 1 box up or down (minor to major...major to minor respectively) from the same root/anchor/position to get a different scale (major or minor).

Memorizing the "boxes" is one thing. How to manipulate them when playing is another entirely. The latter is a lifetime exercise.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Rather than comment further, I'll just suggest checking out the top half of page 18 in the "Slow Blues Supplement" manual.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Gentlemen...how ‘bout we just memorize the 5 patterns (they don’t change and they’re in the same order left to right) and play major or minor from the same root?

I see 5 patterns, 10 notes (plus a blue note in each octave) each and they overlap...my brain’s frying looking at pictures...:):)

Yeah, I think the point he was making is that there is really only ONE "pattern" (absolutely true), but using the 5 boxes makes it easier to remember where you are. Using just the ONE pattern requires you to remember where to start that pattern for every key.

I guess what ever works best for you is what you should use, but Griff teaches the 5 boxes so everything in his courses will be discussed in light of them.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Rather than comment further, I'll just suggest checking out the top half of page 18 in the "Slow Blues Supplement" manual.
Wow! Thanks Paleo. Just the other day I posed in the AAP section asking if I needed to concentrate more on the boxes because often, I really couldn't tell you which box I was in when I play. ALmost word for word what he said in the manual..

" Our goal is to one day have it so that you really don’t think in terms of boxes anymore. Instead, you’ll just find a note that you want, and you’ll play a major or a minor sound around it without being all that concerned about which box it is.
When I play, I often couldn’t tell you which box I’m in by number anymore. I really don’t think about it. My fingers know the patterns and that’s all that matters. By learning to focus on notes instead of boxes, you can achieve the same level of comfort with the patterns."

PCM

Spring, Texas
..." Our goal is to one day have it so that you really don’t think in terms of boxes anymore. Instead, you’ll just find a note that you want, and you’ll play a major or a minor sound around it without being all that concerned about which box it is.
When I play, I often couldn’t tell you which box I’m in by number anymore...
Exactly!

PCM

Spring, Texas
On a similar note, does anybody remember the video about origins of the pentatonic scale(s) (removal of offending/changing notes) and the I major and I minor application and SHR implications?

Was it a blog video or an " all access?"

Thanks.

Danno

Blues Newbie
Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
....origins of the pentatonic scale(s) (removal of offending/changing notes)

You might check out the Theory Session from 8-21-18 "The Major/Minor Pentatonic Scale Thang"

...I major and I minor application and SHR implications?

....and the Theory Session from 2-13-19 "Alternate Pentatonics".

Last edited: