Wireless systems

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
One downside of the wireless system. I didn't have time to play Saturday. When I picked up my Zelinsky on Sunday, I went to pull the G10 transmitter out of it's charger base, and it wasn't there.

I had left it plugged into my Taylor acoustic/electric, because I don't see it behind that big body. Out of sight, out of mind. The transmitter shuts itself off when it isn't used for a few minutes, but the preamp in the Taylor doesn't; as long as something is plugged into the jack it stays on. Being on for 48 hours had killed off a fairly new 9 volt battery. I hope being on for that long doesn't damage the preamp. I'm an idiot.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
One downside of the wireless system. I didn't have time to play Saturday. When I picked up my Zelinsky on Sunday, I went to pull the G10 transmitter out of it's charger base, and it wasn't there.

I had left it plugged into my Taylor acoustic/electric, because I don't see it behind that big body. Out of sight, out of mind. The transmitter shuts itself off when it isn't used for a few minutes, but the preamp in the Taylor doesn't; as long as something is plugged into the jack it stays on. Being on for 48 hours had killed off a fairly new 9 volt battery. I hope being on for that long doesn't damage the preamp. I'm an idiot.

If that makes you an idiot, you're certainly not alone. I don't have a wireless, but I have a tendency to put a guitar back into the stand with the cable still plugged in. I have one guitar with active EMG pickups and another with an aftermarket preamp in it. Both have succumbed to the battery sucking monster. As a result, there is always a fresh 4 pack of 9 volt batteries in my desk drawer.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I have a G30 and used an analog something-or-other for years before that. I found the G30 transmitter was using more batteries than @Steve G vibrator @ the NE jam. And he ran to the drugstore six times in five days.
As I remember the G30 lasted longer, like 6 hours compared to the Xvive which lasts only two. But I prefer the Xvive just because it's rechargeable, and easier to swap guitars.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
I have a G30 and used an analog something-or-other for years before that. I found the G30 transmitter was using more batteries than @Steve G vibrator @ the NE jam. And he ran to the drugstore six times in five days.
As I remember the G30 lasted longer, like 6 hours compared to the Xvive which lasts only two. But I prefer the Xvive just because it's rechargeable, and easier to swap guitars.

can i just say after having the U2 for several years,,quoted battery time is 5hrs and several review videos have tested it to six,,not two :)

ronico

rainyislandblues
I've had a G30(used) for a few years with no complaints. That said, it seems the only time it drops out is if the trans/ rec are on opposite sides of my phone /internet router. Seems to be ok if I use a longer (15ft) cable on the receiver to get on the same side of the router. Kinda eyeballing the Xvive. Crossroads makes a couple of good point about it. But it could just be GAS!:unsure:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
can i just say after having the U2 for several years,,quoted battery time is 5hrs and several review videos have tested it to six,,not two :)
Yeah you're right 2 hours is about the recharge time I think. So I can't say for sure but I think I'm probably getting about 4 hours or more. Maybe it's because I don't have to change the batteries, or pull them out if there are rechargeable and put them back in, it just seems easier to me to just plug in the usb