... and in 1981 ... privacy? ... they didn't have Facebook ...

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I ain't scared. I know where the plug is! Plus I got a couple of size 11s just in case the computator needs to be re booted!
Yah, but the point is Steve Jobs thought that with computers in the homes and schools that people would be educated enough to stop invasion of privacy. The exact opposite has happened e.g Alexa, Siri, Facebook, Google, Android, 23&Me, Ancestry.com etc. People are just giving away their information and don't care. Sometimes a visionary gets it backward.

Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
And I certainly don’t think computers have made people smarter as Jobs thought they would. We all have a lot more information (good and bad) at our finger tips, but we are not smarter because of computers...especially the younger generations.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
... and in 1981 ... privacy? ... they didn't have Facebook ... or IBM PC (8086) ...... or smart phones..... All happened in our lifetime.

cheers

Al.

Boysie

Just for fun
I'm seriously considering dumping my "smart" phone and going back to my old mobile phone that just makes and receives calls. I'm getting sick of it changing my settings without asking me.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
... and in 1981 ... privacy? ... they didn't have Facebook ... or IBM PC (8086) ...... or smart phones..... All happened in our lifetime.

cheers

Al.
Non-sequitur? I was commenting on the lightweight debate about computers and privacy way back in 1981 on a commercial tv news program.

On another note, we received 2 IBM 5150's in autumn on 1981 (I remember it being October) when we took possession of our new 4341 so I know PC's were around in 1981. IBM used (and maybe still does, don't care since I retired :) ) 4 digit numeric codes for their products. The 4341's were their mid-range computers running OS/VS1 or OS/MVT and the 5150's were branded as the Personal Computer when marketing to the public and used PC-DOS. They were supposed to be tested in the accounting department but the staff didn't want to learn new software so they sat in a corner gathering dust :)

We got a kick out of IBM's code because in California 5150 is the police code for a crazy person in need of restraint :) As mainframe people in 1981 we thought you'd have to be nuts to use a PC when the mainframe was right there :)

Eric

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I'm seriously considering dumping my "smart" phone and going back to my old mobile phone that just makes and receives calls. I'm getting sick of it changing my settings without asking me.
I'm with you there, brother. My wife and I have been having serious thoughts of going back to using a flip phone as my iPhone 5 and her Galaxy 4's batteries are dying.

Eric

Boysie

Just for fun
Non-sequitur? I was commenting on the lightweight debate about computers and privacy way back in 1981 on a commercial tv news program.

On another note, we received 2 IBM 5150's in autumn on 1981 (I remember it being October) when we took possession of our new 4341 so I know PC's were around in 1981. IBM used (and maybe still does, don't care since I retired :) ) 4 digit numeric codes for their products. The 4341's were their mid-range computers running OS/VS1 or OS/MVT and the 5150's were branded as the Personal Computer when marketing to the public and used PC-DOS. They were supposed to be tested in the accounting department but the staff didn't want to learn new software so they sat in a corner gathering dust :)

We got a kick out of IBM's code because in California 5150 is the police code for a crazy person in need of restraint :) As mainframe people in 1981 we thought you'd have to be nuts to use a PC when the mainframe was right there :)

Eric

Back in 1964 we called them electronic data processers or F.R.E.D. for short. (f**kin' rediculous electronic device) :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
This has been one of my favorite quotes regarding technology (From the movie "Contact", spoken by Matthew McConaughey):

"What I'm asking is... are we happier, as a human race? Is the world fundamentally a better place because of science and technology? We shop at home, we surf the Web, and at the same time we feel emptier, lonelier, and more cut off from each other than at any other time in human history..."​