Taylor or Martin?

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
My understating of what makes a good acoustic is very limited.
I certainly like the Matons and have been lusting for one for years.
The notion that they excel in live performances is something I've heard a few times.
Same for the recording characteristics of the Martins.
Most of my playing is in a recording studio.
On my next trip to the guitar shop, I'm gonna do some A/B comparisons and see what grabs me.
Not from my experience... Probably depends on which Martin... Mine is a little too boomy (deep low end) for recording compared to my J-45... That said, I'm a martin lover... If I could only keep ONE guitar it would be my Martin for sure!! Good luck on the search!!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
You might want to check out Mandolin Brothers or Gruhn Guitars to see what the "dealers" have and their pricing. They will certainly stand behind their merchandise where a private sale might be a little riskier.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I like both and have played several models of each in the store. With somewhat limited funds, we have a Martin 000-15 and a Taylor Baby (commonly referred to as a Baby Taylor). I've have been G.A.S.ing for an Emerald for several years. All synthetic construction, impervious to heat and cold and from the videos I've seen sound pretty good. Looks like the X7 model would be perfect for travel/camping.

Danno

Blues Newbie
anyone know what model Taylor guitar, Griff is playing in his guitar lessons
I’m thinking I heard him say it was 510CE. In the basic Taylor naming, the 5 indicates the body wood and appointment level (4 and 5 are “mahogany”, 6 is maple, 7 and 8 are rosewood), the 10 is the body style and 6/12 string (10 is a dreadnaught 6 string), the C is cutaway, and E is for onboard electronics (preamp).

Elwood

Blues
Smaller hands? Based on my experience I would start with Taylors. I love my Martin Dread. My 314ce is way easier to play (yes, good set up to both) and the ES-2 system sounds plenty good enough for me. Run that on one side and a open mic on the other and it sounds OK (maybe a little Moto hoo doo there). My Mini I would, and did, take over the other smaller guitars you mention. It usually starts and ends my day so I must like it.
Tonewood, wow...like organic stompboxes I suppose. No one will agree on what sounds best, because they all sound great if they have a chance. Fingers, frets, and strings, just like Tommy Emmanuel says. Given that I start to find differences that matter to me in a certain situation. Rosewood, hog, maple, sapele,...what is the rest of the instrument, how is it strung, and how does the player play, those concerns make the difference to me. Also, choosing the right tool for the job. I'm trying to learn that one.
I have a few instruments I've grown fond of but if I had room for only one it would be one of my Taylors.
Hope you made, or make a good choice for you.

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Smaller hands? Based on my experience I would start with Taylors. I love my Martin Dread. My 314ce is way easier to play (yes, good set up to both) and the ES-2 system sounds plenty good enough for me. Run that on one side and a open mic on the other and it sounds OK (maybe a little Moto hoo doo there). My Mini I would, and did, take over the other smaller guitars you mention. It usually starts and ends my day so I must like it.
Tonewood, wow...like organic stompboxes I suppose. No one will agree on what sounds best, because they all sound great if they have a chance. Fingers, frets, and strings, just like Tommy Emmanuel says. Given that I start to find differences that matter to me in a certain situation. Rosewood, hog, maple, sapele,...what is the rest of the instrument, how is it strung, and how does the player play, those concerns make the difference to me. Also, choosing the right tool for the job. I'm trying to learn that one.
I have a few instruments I've grown fond of but if I had room for only one it would be one of my Taylors.
Hope you made, or make a good choice for you.
looking at a Taylor 324ce hog top/blackwood back and sides,

Elwood

Blues
Gorgeous! One thing to consider, a 12 fret. That will be my next acoustic. View a 322ce or 522ce 12 fret with your purchasing credentials secure. You are entering my dreamland. I love acoustics (might even learn to play some day) and one of those 12 frets I like to keep as an unsatisfied thirst. The 12 frets are what they should be.
You end up with the 324ce and you are very fortunate by any standards. That hog will make you laugh.

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Gorgeous! One thing to consider, a 12 fret. That will be my next acoustic. View a 322ce or 522ce 12 fret with your purchasing credentials secure. You are entering my dreamland. I love acoustics (might even learn to play some day) and one of those 12 frets I like to keep as an unsatisfied thirst. The 12 frets are what they should be.
You end up with the 324ce and you are very fortunate by any standards. That hog will make you laugh.
have you ever play one?,

Elwood

Blues
No, but I will. They are not hanging on all the walls around here. I base my lust for the 12 fret on countless hours of reading, watching, listening, and assessing how I play as opposed to how I would like to play. I have some physical concerns that may not matter to you. I find that my playing time is limited more by the size or weight or my instrument then anything else. I also find that I can play passages on a short scale more cleanly than on a "full scale" (I wander between electric and acoustic interests) sometimes, maybe depending on where most of the activity is happening on the neck during the piece.
I also have learned from my GS mini how valuable comfort is.
So, where would be the shortcoming? upper register access? I most likely will get a cutaway to mitigate that issue. But, real life..acoustic...I will be able to play longer, better, and have more fun if I can easily reach the most common notes I play. For me those live below the 14th.
So, a fair question and an honest answer. If I didn't have my two Taylors would I have the fire for the 12 fret? probably not. But my 314ce plays real nice, sounds great, and if I put a capo on the first fret, drop back to concert pitch, close my eyes and play..I am on my 12 fret and I like it!
Good luck bro!

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
No, but I will. They are not hanging on all the walls around here. I base my lust for the 12 fret on countless hours of reading, watching, listening, and assessing how I play as opposed to how I would like to play. I have some physical concerns that may not matter to you. I find that my playing time is limited more by the size or weight or my instrument then anything else. I also find that I can play passages on a short scale more cleanly than on a "full scale" (I wander between electric and acoustic interests) sometimes, maybe depending on where most of the activity is happening on the neck during the piece.
I also have learned from my GS mini how valuable comfort is.
So, where would be the shortcoming? upper register access? I most likely will get a cutaway to mitigate that issue. But, real life..acoustic...I will be able to play longer, better, and have more fun if I can easily reach the most common notes I play. For me those live below the 14th.
So, a fair question and an honest answer. If I didn't have my two Taylors would I have the fire for the 12 fret? probably not. But my 314ce plays real nice, sounds great, and if I put a capo on the first fret, drop back to concert pitch, close my eyes and play..I am on my 12 fret and I like it!
Good luck bro!
I have Health Issues as will worked in the construction field Drywall installer,Painter,32 years, now i have neck
issues,and being a lefty makes it hard to find any kind of lefty guitars in a music store in my area
the little town i live is less then 3,000 people ,so i have to rely on reviews online or this site which has be very helpful
seems like you know a bit about Taylor Guitars ,I appreciate your advise thank you
leftymike

Elwood

Blues
Drop a line to Taylor. Why not? The customer support I have experienced has been very good. Might be fun to just run it by them.

OK, I'll be silly here. When I drift between sleep and otherwise, if I find myself in a "playing frame of mind" and I just notice how my body came to rest. My right is comfortably across my mid. My left falls comfortably, not reaching. If I'm nuts I'm telling you so, but I want my guitar to fit like that.

edit, oh yeah.. the gc body size. The 314 is a ga, one step larger than a gc. The 314 is WAY more comfortable than a Martin Dread. The gc is smaller. These days I don't know a valid reason to need the sound volume of the dread. The bass projection is beautiful ( I put bone on mine on both ends) but muddies in a mix and is worth the size (to me) for certain things. Smaller body size is good for me in the guitar recipe.

Last edited: