Credit Breach

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
In less than 3 weeks my Chevron Gas Card was hit with over $2200 in a little rathole town..(what the hell kind of credit security would allow $2200+ be put on a credit card that rarely has over a $200 balance and not notify the holder).----this morning I bought some thing off Amazon $10.56--4 minutes later I get a notification that my Amazon Account had been ("COMPROMISED" must be one of them "Computer Geek" words for "ATTEMPTED ROBBERY" by somebody in LIBERIA. So watch your selves---.:thumbdown::thumbdown:

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I'm with you, man - have had my card numbers stolen multiple times...

Always use cash in shady joints - so that's not how they're getting the card info! :)

Kevin

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I feel your pain, amigo! I've had to replace mine and dispute charges several times, although, knock on wood, haven't had to do so lately. Mrs Snarf, however, had about $750 of Uber charges put on her debit card over Memorial Day weekend. The bank's fraud department is usually really quick to catch anything out of the ordinary and call us to verify the charge and either cancel the card immediately or us confirm it. They didn't catch these. She had to blow a morning to go to our local branch and fill out all the fraud affidavits (one form for each of the 7 or 8 charges) that the bank required and get her card replaced. Then had to wait several weeks for everything to process and get the confirmation that they had returned the money to her account.

Even being smart with your cards and charge numbers doesn't seem to be enough these days. And then the hassle is on us, who are trying to do the right thing, to prove that we didn't spend what the bank has already taken from us. I sometimes wonder if the banks even pursue these bastages or if they just write off the loss and forget about it. Good luck getting it all sorted.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
What PIz-TICKS me off is the Gov. nor internet don't do crap to stop it---what is so difficult about running down this location "Liberia37826376"---I am sure there is a trail to it somewhere---just like the Phone calls---where is the phone bill sent to????that shouldn't be that hard to find out should it? Problem solved. :mad::mad::mad:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues

Always use cash in shady joints - so that's not how they're getting the card info! :)

Kevin
Are you trying to tell me I should not have put my "Mastercard" in that pole dancers bikini--no more good lap dances for me---just joking there buddy-:Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This entire thing makes me crazy.
I recently became aware of a scam where people buying homes have the entire sale amount wire transferred to crocks.
Some how the bank is tricked into sending the money to the wrong account.
I don't get it......$350,000 - $400,000 wire transferred to some scammer in Nigeria and Oh well, nothing can be done?

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
This entire thing makes me crazy.
I recently became aware of a scam where people buying homes have the entire sale amount wire transferred to crocks.
Some how the bank is tricked into sending the money to the wrong account.
I don't get it......$350,000 - $400,000 wire transferred to some scammer in Nigeria and Oh well, nothing can be done?
Of course something can be done. Wire transfer $10,000 to my account in Nigeria and I'll fix it. :whistle:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Yep; it is pretty sick----there are 3 Liberias recognized on the BEAST-----#1 the country in Africa---#2 A parish in Louisiana---#3-Costa Rica----like you say Oh Well what can you do---NOTHING---I think the whole damn thing is nothing but a non-punishable scam. Hell if I shop lifted a carton of cigarettes it would be a Class 2 felony...(5 years) these a--holes can get away with 1000s and not have no fear of prosecution...OH WELL.
As for the Chevron card I know it was done in a little town in California. Oh well--- I caught it and turned it over to Chevron Fraud Division.
so they bite the bullet not me. I would bet you $$$ it was syphoned out of the tank and resold on the gasoline black market making some one $1600+ in his pocket real quick.... Live and Learn:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Last edited:

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Well I live in California but rest assured it wasn't me

I too have had to change out my debit card a couple of times this past year

frigging thiefs - but if I don't cross the street at the light some copper is glad to harass a long grey hair senior - go figure

Be safe out there

Peace

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
$3052.75----Fontana, Ca. 20----Victorville, Ca. 4----Legal purchases $71.00 ---Average fill up theft per day---$123.00--- between 8-22 and 9/15----that is like 3 weeks---And " THERE HOLY GRAIL COMPUTERIZED SECURITY" was unable to detect----(inside job???) A--H---s

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Funny, 2 separate times I tried ordering a set of Stienberger tuners from Gibson using my Discover card, which they couldn’t complete the purchase. Then a few minutes later I would get a call from Discover card asking if that was me. Seemed odd.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Sometimes crooks put skimmers on gas pumps or atm's. My wife got burned by that once. She thought the pump didn't look right but she used it anyway. We had to get new credit cards. The first two times I bought something from Amazon in 1997 our card numbers were stolen. I didn't buy anything online for years after that.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Sometimes crooks put skimmers on gas pumps or atm's
I am pretty sure that is what happened here???? But I think I would have noticed it. If it wasn't a skimmer then I really don't how they got it-
I don't know how they could have got a credit card with my name and account #--on it, but they did. Another thing that is pretty weird is most gas pumps I ever seen around here stop at $99----and all of the purchases were over $100 and a couple times it was twice in one day at the same place--
Something a little shady going on there. Oh well, let Chevron oil figure it out maybe then they will upgrade there customer security protection
system. Later

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
There were a couple of waitresses busted here in Detroit a couple of years ago. When patrons gave them their credit cards at the end of the meal they were using their phones to take pictures of both sides of the cards. They then had your name, card number and the security code on the back.

There are as many, or more, ways to steal the information as there are to use your card. In any case, if you are pick pocketed you are out the cash, if your card number is stolen you are out a bunch of time to fix it but at least you shouldn't lose any $$.

When I lived in San Francisco in the 1980's I never carried cash. Always used a new fangled debit/atm card. Then a gang of kids started robbing people at gun point. If you had any cash they took it and left, even if it was $3. If you had no cash they just shot you. Since then I always carry at least a few bucks. Robbing people has always been a part of human history. Crooks will always work hard to take money from us without having to actually "work" for it (watch how lawyers operate) :rolleyes:

Eric

Elio

Student Of The Blues
That's happened to me a few times as well. My wife used to do the bookkeeping for my consulting business. A few years ago she was walking around the office asking who had made a $4,500 purchase on our Amex card to a vendor called NCL, who wasn't a past vendor. She finally called Amex and found that NCL was Norwegian Cruise Lines and that someone had purchased a Caribbean cruise on our card. Amex credited the amount back to us. I never heard the outcome, but I figured that was about the stupidest fraud purchase ever since A. the person will be easy to track an B. they will be easy to find.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ

Kevin

Knowing the joints you like to visit...:whistle::whistle::whistle:, you must carry a ton of cash...love ya brother...;););)...later.

cowboy