Minor Pentatonic Scales Practice

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Part of my practice routine is 5 minute minor pentatonic scales practice. P1, P1 w/ blue note, P2, P3 and P4. In one of Griff’s lessons or blog videos, he briefly mentioned in practicing scales you need to practice coming down from the 1st/high/e string (I never know how to describe the skinny string). It was just something he mentioned in passing but I picked up on it. This was within the last 2 months. I modified my 5 minute cycles to spend equal time doing scales up and down to spend half time coming down from the 1st/high/e string. I have seen significant improvement in accuracy and speed increase.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I never know how to describe the skinny string
High and low, up and down may seem opposite on the guitar but the terms are related to musical pitch and not the physical aspects of the guitar.

Going up the neck means you're playing higher pitched notes even though you're moving your hand down the neck physically (assuming you're holding the guitar with the headstock higher than the body).

The high E string is on the bottom of the guitar because that E pitch is two octaves higher than the low E string, which is on the top of the guitar.

Think pitch and not location. I hope that helps.

Eric

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Another thing he stresses is to start in the middle too. When soloing you will often find yourself in the middle of the neck (On the A D or G string). It's good to know where to go from there too.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I would also stress playing up and down from the Major and minor roots in each pentatonic box.

Playing a box from the lowest note on the 6th string to the highest note on the 1st string, or vice versa, is practicing the box, not playing one of the scales in the box.

(And in 3 of the boxes the lowest note is neither the Major nor minor root, but the root of one of 3 other "modes" altogether.o_O)

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I would also stress playing up and down from the Major and minor roots in each pentatonic box.

Playing a box from the lowest note on the 6th string to the highest note on the 1st string, or vice versa, is practicing the box, not playing one of the scales in the box.

(And in 3 of the boxes the lowest note is neither the Major nor minor root, but the root of one of 3 other "modes" altogether.o_O)
I’ve got to put more work in the majors for sure.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I’ve got to put more work in the majors for sure.
Most of what you're working out for yourself here is what I put together in the Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery course. If you already have it, just do that and don't re-invent the wheel :)

(there's a lot more stuff in PSTM too, but a lot of what you're doing is stuff that is covered in there.)

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Most of what you're working out for yourself here is what I put together in the Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery course. If you already have it, just do that and don't re-invent the wheel :)

(there's a lot more stuff in PSTM too, but a lot of what you're doing is stuff that is covered in there.)
I’m all access now so yeah I’ve got it. I’m moving most of my practice routine to your courses and will go there. But right now it’s the BGU Labs Bloomfield counting, getting in time. Thanks very much. Having a blast!