2019 Crossroads Festival-Dallas

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
So many bucket list players!
5 1/2 hours of music interrupted only by Bill Murray MC-ing.
- Sonny Landreth
- Clapton (Acoustic set)
- Bonnie Raitt & Keb Mo
- Citizen Cope (IMHO awful until Garry Clark Jr came out and played with him)
- Gustavo Santaolalla
- Sheryl Crow (Solo, then with: Doyle Bramhal, then Bonnie Raitt then James Bay)
- Pedro Martinez & Daniel Santiago
- Kurt Rosenwinkel & Pedro Martins (Latin Jazz)
- James Burton & Albert Lee (Good but I think ALbert toned it down to fit with James Burtons's songs)
- Jimmy Vaughan (Bonnie Raitt & Billy Gibbons came out at different times)
- Doyle Bramhall & Gary Clark Jr (only one song!!!???)
- Marcus King Band (Really energetic southern rock/blues)
- Peter Frampton ( closed his set with Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weeps -highlight of the show)
- Jeff Beck closed the show.
The only thing that took the shine off of Back's set was he had Johnny Depp come out for several songs at the end.Depp does not belong in that company.

Johnny Depp & Citizen Cope coulda/shoulda stayed home.
Best performances: Peter Frampton with Clapton, Bonnie Raitt with anyone, Sonny Landreth, Billy Gibbons

With a revolving stage they didn't waste much time between acts.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlh78dwuqzxqqms/20190920_211442.mp4?dl=0

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you look to the FAR right, I think you can see me!!!

Just kidding. I was there, but up at the top of that first tier on the right.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool!
Good recap of the show.
My personal experience is, the more players involved the less rewarding the experience is.
Maybe my expectations are just set too high in those situations

Frampton, Clapton doing "weeps" was great.
Nice to see those old hands making such sweet music.
I thought the stage lighting and jumbo screen enhanced the show and filled the stage nicely.
Sometimes those jumbos can be distracting but, I liked the way it was presented with the surrounding lights.
Looks like it was a good show.

Thanks for the review and the vid.

RussellC

Blues Newbie
That is a good recap...I was there for both shows, Friday and Saturday. I think the Saturday show was the better of the two, but I wish it had been more of a blues theme to the festival.

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
- Sonny Landreth
- Clapton (Acoustic set)
- Bonnie Raitt & Keb Mo
- Gustavo Santaolalla
- Sheryl Crow (Solo, then with: Doyle Bramhal, then Bonnie Raitt then James Bay)
- James Burton & Albert Lee (Good but I think ALbert toned it down to fit with James Burtons's songs)
- Peter Frampton ( closed his set with Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weeps -highlight of the show)
The only thing that took the shine off of Back's set was he had Johnny Depp come out for several songs at the end.Depp does not belong in that company.

Best performances: Peter Frampton with Clapton, Bonnie Raitt with anyone, Sonny Landreth, Billy Gibbons

S
That is a good recap...I was there for both shows, Friday and Saturday. I think the Saturday show was the better of the two, but I wish it had been more of a blues theme to the festival.
So wis
- Sonny Landreth
- Clapton (Acoustic set)
- Bonnie Raitt & Keb Mo
- Gustavo Santaolalla

so wish I could’ve afforded that trip from Conroe, I missed a awesome and probably last crossroads event

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Thanks for the recap, Mike! Mrs Snarf and I briefly discussed going when it was first announced. Then we saw the prices and decided that we don't like dealing with crowds or the crappy acoustics (or whatever) of the AAC to spend that much money to go. I went to one show there back in like 2002, and the sound was sooo bad I swore then I'd never go to another. Decided long about 2012 that I would give it another shot, and the sound was, again, just horrid...echoey and you couldn't hear half of what was being played or sung. I figured if I spent festival-level ticket pricing and the sound was still abysmal that I would leave early and mad, and I didn't want to remember seeing some of those acts that way. That said, I messed around and never went to see BB King when he would come through the area. If I'm not careful, I may end up doing the same thing with Clapton.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
When Vikki got our tickets for Clapton in Vegas my only request was to be straight back from the stage, we got 2nd row upper level, but no bounce so it sounded good, and with the jumbo screens we could see everything

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks for the recap, Mike! Mrs Snarf and I briefly discussed going when it was first announced. Then we saw the prices and decided that we don't like dealing with crowds or the crappy acoustics (or whatever) of the AAC to spend that much money to go. I went to one show there back in like 2002, and the sound was sooo bad I swore then I'd never go to another. Decided long about 2012 that I would give it another shot, and the sound was, again, just horrid...echoey and you couldn't hear half of what was being played or sung. I figured if I spent festival-level ticket pricing and the sound was still abysmal that I would leave early and mad, and I didn't want to remember seeing some of those acts that way. That said, I messed around and never went to see BB King when he would come through the area. If I'm not careful, I may end up doing the same thing with Clapton.

I hear ya. We keep saying the same thing, then someone comes to town and....