I-IV-V yes or no

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I may not understand all this..........................but tonights practice, I hit some screaming awesome Bon Jovi licks that rocked

hey, don't judge me, Bon Jovi had great hair and spandex for days

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
You can't have a major chord with a sus(anything). The indication of the FM7 refers to a Major 7 (not flatted), not an F Major chord. The sus2 replaces the major third (as would the sus4 if it were alone).

And that bit actually made sense to me. That fills my quota for the next couple of weeks while I let that nugget sink in. :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I don't engage in these discussions on other forums.

I don't participate in other forums.
I don't twittter.
I don't FaceBook.
I don't need the drama.

I understand I, IV, V and maybe I'll learn more someday.

Did somebody say chord progression?

https://www.musicianonamission.com/chord-progressions/?utm_source=ONTRAPORT-email-broadcast&utm_medium=ONTRAPORT-email-broadcast&utm_term=!Broadcasts+(All+Emails)&utm_content=Songwriting+tips&utm_campaign=12092019

Thank you Captain!

Finally something that explains some theory without having it sound like a dissertation on astrophysics.

Much of that actually makes sense to me and I even downloaded some stuff.

Cool beans! :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thank you Captain!

Finally something that explains some theory without having it sound like a dissertation on astrophysics.

Much of that actually makes sense to me and I even downloaded some stuff.

Cool beans! :Beer:
You are welcome.
I've been following Rob for a while now, he's trying hard to sell me his program but, I haven't bitten yet.
He makes sense to me.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So I was thinking about what chord name that moveable "open" C triad shape would end up having as you move it up the neck, fret by fret, starting at the Bb, leaving the G and E strings open.

As discussed earlier, you always have the root on the 5th string (1st finger), 5th on the 4th string (3rd finger) and 3rd on the 2nd string (pinky) while leaving the 1st and 3rd strings open. (That sentence is confusing enough on its own. ("Interval", string, finger))

The table lists the root (R), the notes of the triad (1 5 3) under your fingers and what the open G and E would be when "adding" them to the basic triad.

Some of the resulting chords that actually sound pretty good to me (in red) I've tried to name. The others I'll leave to somebody else.

Even if you don't understand (or care) about any of this, you may hear a chord that you might like to use in the future.:sneaky:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/38il8z8zh3rlj34/Name That Chord 1.m4v?dl=0

R---1 5 3-------G, E
Bb--Bb F D----6, #11
B----B F# D#--b13, 11
C----C G E------5, 3 = C Major
Db---Db Ab F--#11, #9
D-----D A F#---11, 9
Eb---Eb Bb G---3,b9
E-----E B G#----#9,1
F-----F C A-------9,7 = FMaj9
Gb---Gb Db Bb-b9,b7 = Gb7b9
G-----G D B------1,6 = G6
Ab----Ab Eb C---7, (#5 or b13?) = AbMaj7 (b13?)
A------A E C#-----b7,5 = A7

Before you ask, I'm not really concerned here or in the video with whether a note is technically an "add" or not.
Only 4 of the chords end up with the G or E as a 7. Two with a b7 and two with a Major 7.

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.

Great article Captain. Thanks for sharing. This stuff makes more sense to me with each passing year. I just need to quit being lazy and really dig into it and use this knowledge on a daily basis. It really does make it much easier to figure out songs if you know the rules, especially for those of us that are challenged at picking out chords just by listening.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
See, theory isn't a bad thing. But it is best learned starting with the basics. And the first basic is that it isn't BS. :LOL:

No, it's still bullshit.
But there are many other bullshit things in life that we must deal with in order to be able to keep things moving and theory is just another one of those things. :ROFLMAO:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
So I was thinking about what chord name that moveable "open" C triad shape would end up having as you move it up the neck, fret by fret, starting at the Bb, leaving the G and E strings open.

As discussed earlier, you always have the root on the 5th string (1st finger), 5th on the 4th string (3rd finger) and 3rd on the 2nd string (pinky) while leaving the 1st and 3rd strings open. (That sentence is confusing enough on its own. ("Interval", string, finger))

The table lists the root (R), the notes of the triad (1 5 3) under your fingers and what the open G and E would be when "adding" them to the basic triad.

Some of the resulting chords that actually sound pretty good to me (in red) I've tried to name. The others I'll leave to somebody else.

Even if you don't understand (or care) about any of this, you may hear a chord that you might like to use in the future.:sneaky:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/38il8z8zh3rlj34/Name That Chord 1.m4v?dl=0

R---1 5 3-------G, E
Bb--Bb F D----6, #11
B----B F# D#--b13, 11
C----C G E------5, 3 = C Major
Db---Db Ab F--#11, #9
D-----D A F#---11, 9
Eb---Eb Bb G---3,b9
E-----E B G#----#9,1
F-----F C A-------9,7 = FMaj9
Gb---Gb Db Bb-b9,b7 = Gb7b9
G-----G D B------1,6 = G6
Ab----Ab Eb C---7, (#5 or b13?) = AbMaj7 (b13?)
A------A E C#-----b7,5 = A7

Before you ask, I'm not really concerned here or in the video with whether a note is technically an "add" or not.
Only 4 of the chords end up with the G or E as a 7. Two with a b7 and two with a Major 7.
There were a few chords that sounded interesting like they might resolve to something else or change with a hammer on or slight change in fingering. I think you would agree that most sounded like crap.

But still an interesting experiment.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think you would agree that most sounded like crap.
I agree totally.

My point being that putting "garbage" into some kind of online "Name That Chord" program is going to give you "garbage" out.

(Instead of "garbage" feel free to substitute a more appropriate term.)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Great article Captain. Thanks for sharing. This stuff makes more sense to me with each passing year. I just need to quit being lazy and really dig into it and use this knowledge on a daily basis. It really does make it much easier to figure out songs if you know the rules, especially for those of us that are challenged at picking out chords just by listening.
The reveal of all the songs that use I V vi IV was well, "revealing".

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Look at it this way. I have a whole garden that was all grown in well seasoned horsesh*t.
It may not be the most palatable thing on earth, but it sure does help things come to fruition!

I can understand the watermelon and the tomatoes, but bringing the non-fruits to fruition! You must know some mad theoretical genetics.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
And then there's the gazillions of 50s songs that use the do-wop I vi IV V.
C Am F G
Transpose as needed.
Substitute a D7 (the 5 of the 5) for the F. That works too.