Free Strings

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Had a small package waiting for me yesterday from D'addario. Didn't know what it might be until I remembered getting an e-mail from them a while back advertising a new string in their line-up. It said the first whatever number of responders would receive a free set to try out. I had forgotten about it and there they were. They are "XT" electrics, don't know anything about them. I did try a set of NYXL a few years ago; did not like them at all, but those were also free. We'll see about these.

Bernie

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I bought a set of NYXLs a few months ago and the B string broke as I was tuning it. D'Addario quickly sent a few high E and B stings but I haven't used the set yet. Ot if curiosity, what didn't you like about them?

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I've used the NYXLs on a number of guitars. Amazon had a deal going where you could get a set packaged with a string winder for around $8 (so now I have a bunch of string winders :LOL:). Didn't like or dislike them and they broke as often as other, cheaper strings.

Looks like the XTs are coated and cheaper than the NYXLs. Competition for Elixir?

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I have been a D'Addario user for years. In the past year, I started using the NYXL's on my main guitar. I really, really like them.
Never been a fan of coated strings unless I was using them for a specific look, like the DR Neon colored ones.
Looking forward to trying out the new XT's...

aleclee

Tribe of One
Never been a fan of coated strings unless I was using them for a specific look, like the DR Neon colored ones.
I use coated strings on my bass because I don't play it often and don't want to change strings that often. Also, given the cost of bass strings, the premium you pay for coated is relatively small compared to guitar strings.