Who is the Blues Guy you DON'T get?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
...a little too hard rock for my taste. The same for GnR but I respect Slash's abilities.

The two GnR songs I actually like a lot are Patience and November Rain; for the latter I skip to the next song once the heavy, repetitious outro kicks in. I'm working on solo acoustic/vocal versions of both but it's been a back-burner project lately. :confused:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Why would that be controversial? You don't like them. I'm also a 60's guy and "classic rock music and it still is my No 1 passion" I wouldn't go so far as can't stand AC/DC but a little too hard rock for my taste. The same for GnR but I respect Slash's abilities.

Now that's controversial!!!! That is heresy. That's sacreligious! That's blasphemy!!!!

A derogatory remark about Stevie Ray in a blues forum? How do we begin the process of removal of a member?:eek::rolleyes:;)

One of the guys I jam with weekly and I go round and round about this constantly. Lots of fun. He is constantly trying to tell me SRV is really not a blues guy; he is rock. That's certainly arguable. What makes it even more fun is his son, a high school kid and really good guitarist, is a huge SRV fan and piles on with me.:)

Actually, I have always thought of SRV as more of a Jazz guy than a Blues guy in the same way that I've always thought of the Allman Brothers Band not as Blues band but rather as a Jazz band that plays Blues.

But straight Jazz generally doesn't pay the bills so Blues (or Blues Rock) it is!

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
it's from about 2006 and is before he got picked up and "polished" so there's some really BURNING guitar playing on there. JoBo for the last half-dozen years leaves me cold as well...
Which is interesting and proves we all like different things and thats good. For me early JoBo leaves me cold. I just thought he played to many dammed notes. With no soul. His later stuff he appears to my ear to have learnt the art of playing only the notes that matter. Though saying that I don't have much stuff by him. I think one cd I bought and one he gave away free. So don't really get the idolisation some people have for him. Robert Cray though loved him from the first I saw him back in the 80's with Clapton at the RAH. Got 5-6 albums and still play a lot by him.

As the French would say "Vive le difference"

cheers

Al.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
As a general trend lately, I seem to be favoring the players with a little more raw character then those that are polished to perfection.
Tab Benoit, Mike Zito, Popa Chubby even Gary Clark Jr come to mind.
I was mesmerized first time I saw Melody Angle.

I enjoy and envy guys like Joe B, I'm drawn more the the less accomplished players.
Eric Clapton always shows up on my hit list.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
One of the things I really enjoy is maintaining my song of the day list and posting a new song every day. I try and not just go with the names everyone knows. About once a month, I check out this site https://www.rootsmusicreport.com/charts/view/album/genre/blues/weekly for new recordings by artists I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Just about everyone turns out some form of YouTube video these days, even if it's just a photo of their album cover with a track behind it.

I would much rather share new artists I enjoy than talking about existing artists I don't.

So, I'm unashamedly temporarily hijacking the thread for just a moment. A couple of weeks ago, I met a young man who was the road manager for my son's east coast tour. Arin (my son) was busy with some early admission attendees when we arrived at the venue, so we had a chance to meet Matt Di Panni and talk to him. Turns out he plays bass for a LA based band called "The Mowgli's" (yes, the name is possessive) that's been around for a few years. After we got home, I searched to see if they had any videos and found several. Somehow, I was expecting something dark and sinister, but instead I found this.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
One of the things I really enjoy is maintaining my song of the day list and posting a new song every day. I try and not just go with the names everyone knows. About once a month, I check out this site https://www.rootsmusicreport.com/charts/view/album/genre/blues/weekly for new recordings by artists I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Just about everyone turns out some form of YouTube video these days, even if it's just a photo of their album cover with a track behind it.

I would much rather share new artists I enjoy than talking about existing artists I don't.

So, I'm unashamedly temporarily hijacking the thread for just a moment. A couple of weeks ago, I met a young man who was the road manager for my son's east coast tour. Arin (my son) was busy with some early admission attendees when we arrived at the venue, so we had a chance to meet Matt Di Panni and talk to him. Turns out he plays bass for a LA based band called "The Mowgli's" (yes, the name is possessive) that's been around for a few years. After we got home, I searched to see if they had any videos and found several. Somehow, I was expecting something dark and sinister, but instead I found this.
That is pretty dark and sinister......:cautious:.......LOVE ?:eek:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
So Big Mike yeah everyone has their likes and biases not going to throw you any shade.

AC DC admittedly can to some come off as commercial produced to sell rock and roll. But i like the attitude and well shorts so hey each to their own.

GNR and Kiss are two examples of stuff i dont care for but hey ...

I cant think of Blues guys i wouldnt listen to much but for the most part Jazz and Classical stuff i just dont care for. Unless its anything by King Crimson i will now appreciate it.

I struggled with Larks Tongues in Aspic for decades ha ha before starting to finally love it.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
I just saw Robert Cray live at the "Music in the Zoo" at Minnesota Zoo. It's the 5th time I've seen him live, and I will probably go again the next time he's in the area. If you want speed and "shredding," he's definitely not your guy. I really can't explain what it is that I like so much about him.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
About once a month, I check out this site https://www.rootsmusicreport.com/charts/view/album/genre/blues/weekly for new recordings by artists I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

This should be fun...

Before I add to the list I just want to thank Papa for the above link. Never seen it before but the funny thing is I have many of the artists on this months list on my iPhone.

Anyway...also not a fan of Joe B. Tried to like him but just never quite got it. Same with Robert Cray although I did like the album he did with Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland. On the flip side I am a huge fan of Robben Ford and Jimmy Vaughn...to each his own!

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I am reluctant to say who I don't get. I used to not get SRV, then after listening more I got him (a lot). Same goes for others and genres of music. Seems that if I listen long enough I get it. Hope that make sense.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
As a general trend lately, I seem to be favoring the players with a little more raw character then those that are polished to perfection.
Tab Benoit, Mike Zito, Popa Chubby even Gary Clark Jr come to mind.
I was mesmerized first time I saw Melody Angle.

To be clear, this was a thread to post guitar slingers that you don't get, rather than ones you do favor. But, I have to comment. "Tab Benoit, Mike Zito, Popa Chubby even Gary Clark Jr" are all ones that I favor. I would go so far to say I've even become a casual friend of Mike Zito. He gave me his phone number once and said if I ever have a problem trying to learn guitar to call him! But Tab Benoit was here in Lincoln, about an hour drive for us, last year. We couldn't make it but encouraged my son and daughter in law to go see him. But then I heard my wife talking to my daughter in law and found out the real reason she likes him. I really like Tab's playing. My wife was telling the daughter in law she would like watching him play!;)

I am reluctant to say who I don't get. I used to not get SRV, then after listening more I got him (a lot). Same goes for others and genres of music. Seems that if I listen long enough I get it. Hope that make sense.

Not only makes sense but a great point. Using my example of Robert Cray that started this thread, maybe if I spent some more time listening to him I would "get him".

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've always contended very few people would know who Jimmy Vaughn was, if not for his brother.

Solid rhythm player, I'll give him that.

As a soloist he always seemed flat, and left me uninspired.
My thoughts exactly. I've always said that, if it weren't for him being someone's older brother, he'd be one of the guys playing the local circuit. I've always really wanted to like him. He's from TX, so amigos gotta stick together, right? But his playing has never done much for me. When I've heard him without knowing who was playing, I've almost always picked him out. To me, he seems to have his own style, and his own style is best described as boring. Maybe it's because he's very much on the not-flashy side of the scale. Not trying to take away anything from what he's done. After all, he's made a pretty good career of it. I just don't think he's remarkable in any way.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
To me, he seems to have his own style, and his own style is best described as boring. Maybe it's because he's very much on the not-flashy side of the scale.

I've always been a fan of Jimmie Vaughn. Wouldn't consider him boring. I started listening to him when he was part of the Fabulous Thunderbirds and never really associated him with his brother (although they did do an album, Family Style, together). And yeah...I certainly wouldn't describe his style as flashy :cool:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I've always contended very few people would know who Jimmy Vaughn was, if not for his brother.

Solid rhythm player, I'll give him that.

As a soloist he always seemed flat, and left me uninspired.
This is one of the posts here I almost 100% agree with. I won't go so far as "if not for his brother.", after all he was with the Fabulous Thunderbirds. But I watched him on one of the Crossroads and "uninspired" is perfectly descriptive.