Acoustic Effects

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Just finished watching yesterday's session and like the suggestion that was made for future session on this topic. In particular the use of DI boxes such as the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI when running through a PA such as the Bose S-1 Pro.

DI boxes seem to be popular (or is it just hype?) and I'm wondering if this might be a good future rabbit hole for GAS after acquiring all the overdrive pedals one could possibly ever use?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
DI boxes seem to be popular (or is it just hype?)
My Seagull S6 (the one I had in Memphis on the rooftop) sounds much better through the DI than mic'd so I don't think it's hype. I have the Fishman Aura Spectrum but almost bought the Baggs. It'd probably be a good topic.

Eric

Jack

Blues Junior
Great topic, I'm currently trying to get a 12 string acoustic piece recorded, and although I can get a somewhat satisfactory sound with my cheap condenser mic's, I'd definitely like to learn about DI boxes and pretty much anything else that might bring me closer to the way real guitarists sound on real albums lol.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The DI part is one part, the EQ part is another.

DI boxes serve a purpose, that we'll talk about in October....

The EQ part, well, that's just an EQ and acts like an EQ.. same as whether it's in an 11R or outboard.

DI Boxes have little/nothing to do with the sound... that's all in the pickup method.

I think what y'all are looking for is more about the various types of pickups, not so much the DI part.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Great topic, I'm currently trying to get a 12 string acoustic piece recorded, and although I can get a somewhat satisfactory sound with my cheap condenser mic's, I'd definitely like to learn about DI boxes and pretty much anything else that might bring me closer to the way real guitarists sound on real albums lol.
By the way, plugging in an acoustic guitar will always get you farther from how it sounds on a record, not closer.

For recordings, mic's are essential. No matter the pickup style, it won't sound as good as the mic'd up sound.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I don't like to disagree with the boss but the Aura Spectrum uses imaging from really high end acoustic guitars and my Seagull sounds a LOT better recorded through the DI (and a good image selection appropriate to the pickup) than it does mic'd.

Elwood

Blues
I believe all are correct here. I speculate that Griff is talking at a more "professional" level when he says "mics are essential". I am sure no expert (quite the opposite) at recording but I have ears. For most of us trying to get a recording on our own stuff using a "direct in" from the guitar solves a ton of problems. Newer acoustic pick up systems are sounding better and better. Having the ability to use one track of open mic and one track of guitar into the DAW, that's OK too. Regardless of how it gets recorded one concern I have as I work is that I do not want to tweak and process an acoustic until it just sounds like an electric in a costume. A mic seems to help retain some of the acoustic qualities, or may at least make it harder to hide the good sounds the guitar tries to naturally make. I'm just old fashioned I guess.

Terry B

Looking forward to October, and while recording is certainly one part of it, I was thinking of of showing up at a jam or other live situation where rather than going through an amp (Acoustic or otherwise) you're plugging straight into some sort of PA. This is my, possibly erroneous, understanding of where a DI is beneficial.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Looking forward to October, and while recording is certainly one part of it, I was thinking of of showing up at a jam or other live situation where rather than going through an amp (Acoustic or otherwise) you're plugging straight into some sort of PA. This is my, possibly erroneous, understanding of where a DI is beneficial.
Yeah Terry, that's what I got mine for. Making my guitar sound better recording was a side benefit. :thumbup:

Elwood, I have three different types of DI boxes, its the ones specifically made for acoustic guitars that make them sound good in a PA or recorder. If I used the DI for my bass, for instance, then like Griff mentions it doesn't sound acoustic at all. I would just hear the quack of my under saddle transducer, which is bad.

Eric

Elwood

Blues
Eric, this is interesting, thanks! I am at the point where I know enough to know I don't know much at all. I would never have thought of even using a DI box for anything other than getting into my computer. I don't perform and my frame of reference is back in the "run what you brung" days. This whole idea of having a team of experts manage your sound coming out through the PA, never-mind, I'm old fashioned right?

I sure get we need to manage the sound. My acoustics each seems to have a point of resonance that is best dealt with using EQ. Some compression smooths things out sure. Reverb has become equivalent to having the power on with almost everything I hear and most of what I do..

The one HUGE thing that I see that is a playing difference is that with a mic you can use proximity effect to manage you record levels naturally as you move through a piece, like singing.

Sorry Terry, this doesn't address your specific inquiry, but sometimes the "other" stuff is good to hear about too.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The one HUGE thing that I see that is a playing difference is that with a mic you can use proximity effect to manage you record levels naturally as you move through a piece, like singing.
Yep. And as you get more experience recording you'll come to see that as much a hinderance half the time as it is a benefit half the time. Personally I have no use for the proximity effect either live or in recording and don't use mics that have a large one, like the SM58.

Eric

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Well, the guys I play with, and when we do jams at the house, we can have a mixture of guitars, so my PA system, I can run an acoustic through the avid 11r if I want or, on the side of the rack I have connections for two acoustics.

Top one

In the middle is a Behringer AD1 powered DI (awesomely recomend and only like $29), this has fantastic EQ adjustments, really, I dont think you can ever go wrong with it.
This is connected to a boss VE2 vocal processor, supposedly it takes the guitar sound and helps bring your vocals back in tune to the music, with some chorus and stuff.
Two outputs from the Boss, one goes to my trio to give me some bass and drum sounds, the other out to the PA

Bottom row

Bad monkey, had an extra sitting around if I want to add a little dirt, into a chorus pedal, and then to a passive DI (still recomend the powered AD1 though), then to the PA

For recording from a Microphone, I actually use a monoprice memphis blue I think its called into an ART MPA II tube preamp

And for the record, I know I know, but GAS is a PITA and I enjoy playing with toys

IMG_1163.jpg IMG_1164.jpg IMG_1165.jpg

Terry B

Last night I saw Dream Theater and noticed that his acoustic stuff sounded really great through the PA...

After doing a little digging, he's using this "Bodyrez" pedal by TC electronic and plugging straight in. For those of you doing direct stuff, might want to check it out:
https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...STIC-PICKUP-ENHANCER/p/P0DD1#googtrans(en|en)

My BODYREZ arrived in the mail today, plugged it in between my Taylor Academy 12e and Bose S-1 Pro. Haven't done much fiddling around with it yet but so far like the difference it makes. :whistle: