Instagram

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Give me a follow if you are. Just started one. Just let me know who you are.
Instagram is the only social media that I keep up with on anything resembling a regular basis. You should see me in your followers list: suave_rhymes_with_dave

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Fixed it for ya :whistle:

It was called Association Football long before it was shortened to the correct soccer :whistle:
It is a cute game for girls, I'll give you that. :Beer:

Heh. I grew up calling it Fussball—literally, football. Never did understand where the word "soccer" came from. Thanks for the insight. :Beer:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
It was called Association Football
It was called football before that. I believe the history is. Originally a game (still played in some towns like Lerwick in the Orkneys) where half the town played against the other half the town to get a ball to one end of the town or other. Also was played at public schools. Where one William Webb Ellis at Rugby School, acording to legend, picked up the ball and invented Rugby football. Then later the northern league of clubs wanted to pay their players to make up for the time lost working (as most northen players were working class). They split from the southern union of clubs and formed the Rugby League. Hence Rugby Union and Rugby League. Then a group of clubs decided that the game was getting to violent and split from the union and formed an association of clubs that banned shin kicking (prevalent in the game at the time) and banned the picking up of the ball. This became known as Association football, or once exported to USA as soccer. This is a very potted history and I may have got the splitting of the leage and association the wrong way round (I have it down stairs in a book but can't be bothered to go look it up).

cheers

Al.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
If it's called "football" why are so many goals scored with the head? :LOL: I think football is a daft term for all of them. Soccer, Gridiron and Rugby would be better.
And besides, why do soccer playing nations have to measure things by counting on their fingers and toes? Metric system, a childs math game, if you ask me. :whistle: