I'm Back

Dale

Blues Newbie
Hello all,

I have been o the list before.

Maybe a little background.

I started playing guitar in 1964 right after seeing the Beatles at Shea Stadium. Now I wasn't actually at Shea Stadium I was in Columbia, South Carolina in a theater watching the Beatles live on closed circuit television. I was inspired. I went out within a week, bought my first guitar and started lessons.

I have tried a lot of different types of guitar, acoustic, electric and back and forth several times. I had a work schedule that made it difficult to find people to play with so I finally settled on thumbpicking. Merle Travis style. Te issue with that was I was never quite comfortable with the music.. I loved blues. I lived near St. Louis, Mo and one night I turned on a public radio station and heard Elmore James. I was hooked. for a while I didn't quite get all of the Blues players but pretty soon I discovered Muddy Waters and then sometime later Robert Johnson. At some point I learned to love a lot of players.

Due to my silly schedule, I started working with acoustic blues and then went on to the Merle Travis stuff but I wanted to play like BB and other great electric guitar players.

I found the guys at Guitar Zoom and bought some lessons but somehow just didn't get into it. I did go to their meeting in Nashville and Griff was there. From the time Grif started talking about Blues Guitar Unleashed, I felt a connection. I talked to Griff and he probably thought I was a beginner because I had been playing acoustic and didn't know about things like loopers and other electric gear.

Anyway when I got home, ordered Blues Guitar unleashed and several other programs. I find them excellent. I got away from the forum because I was spending too much time reading and not enough time practicing and doing other things I should have been doing.

I am back and will try to manage my time better.

BTW, one of my favorite things about Griff is that I never feel he is talking down to us on videos and I do get that from some of the others.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome back!
I sat down to practice and ended up writing this in the forum instead.:rolleyes:
Griff's style is what brought us all here and he keeps us all coming back(y)

Looking forward to your participation.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Hi Dale,
I’m almost your twin. I started playing guitar in 1964 after seeing the Beatles on Sunday night Feb 9, 1964 on Ed Sullivan. Sorry to be a Beatles geek but I think they played a second Sunday on Ed Sullivan that February. Then in March (14/15) they did the closed circuit broadcast from DC. I saw it in a municipal auditorium (~1400 seats). They played Shea live in August 1965 on national (broadcast) TV. Anyway they are why you and I are both here. Sort of... one Sunday at church a guy invited me to go to see some bands. It was a real dive bar, selling beer, I was like 14. First band 100% jam. 20 minutes meaningless guitar jam, the high point was the bass jam, then the 20 minute drum solo. Unfortunately that turned me against jam bands like Phish until I got into them a few years ago. The next band came on with this great drum line and bass groove. Then the guitar. I thought this is my music. It was some time before I knew what I heard had been the blues. I’ve only been here 2 months but it has been great. Have fun!
John

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey welcome back!

Yeah the stuff Griff sends out can be overwhelming. I skim some of it but thinking much of it needs to wait for me until retirement.

It is a great system but all of us players need to be reaponsible to structure our practice time and goals while of course still having fun.

Best luck!!