John's Ex 5-3

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
Thank you Eric, much appreciated.

Let's hope he never needs a shuffle though, I'm finding section 6 so much harder!

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Hey LeftyJohn your strummin inspired me to get this course!!! I'm just scratching the surface...but I am really enjoying it so far.

How is section 6 treating you?

LeftyJohn

Hi Walt,

That's awesome, thanks! I'm continuing to work through it, making progress on 5-4 and 6-1 together. I'm not as far along as I'd like to be as I've had a few weeks off guitar on holiday with the family and couldn't fit any practice in (or a full sized guitar) :)

I've really been focusing on counting out load with the shuffle and not surprisingly that's really helping the biggest hurdle now on 6-1 is changing to the Bm but I know that'll come from simple repetition of changes between D-Bm-G-Bm repeated.

Regards, John

Walt H

Hey John,
I am on section 5.3 and am struggling with the percussion here specifically getting that "snap". I am also having issues with the quick change from G to D with that percussive slap between the 2 and staying in time. I really dig the way you play this. Do you have any tips? Or is it just a matter of getting the repetitions in and paying my dues?

Thanks Brotha,
Walt

LeftyJohn

Hi Walt,

That's cracking progress in a month congratulations!

I've been breaking down 5-3 and 5-4 into pieces and working on the each bit individually. For 5-3 and 5-4 I've spent a while working on the percussive slap on it's own.

For 5-3 I also worked through the bit from beat 2 of bar 2 to beat 2 of bar 3 over and over again. At first I ignored the timing and just did the chord changes alone as a strum of each chord then change to the next chord repeatedly... A - G - D.

After I had the changes down I added the percussive strum in and repeated what was in effect then a 3 beat bar.

After that I added in beat one of bar three and started practising the same pattern for the chord change for bar 4 through to the repeat of bar 1.

I'm also finding it quite useful to video my progress regularly and to review the videos it's easier to see my own mistakes them and coach myself (or share them here for feedback). Plus very satisfying to see the progress I've made when I look back at older ones. :)

I hope that helps.

Regards, John

Walt H

Thank you for the kinds words John. I have pretty much decided to dedicate my time to the pursuit of guitar. These days I have been playing 4-6 hours per day. So I have been logging serious time, and it has largely been focused study.

I really like the way you broke this exercise down to its smallest parts and I will do the same. I am also going to take your lead and start videoing myself throughout the process. I like the idea of being able to see the progress. Your insight is most appreciated.

Thanks Again!!

walt

LeftyJohn

You're very welcome Walt, it's a pleasure.

I am most jealous of you being able to dedicated 4-6 hours a day! :) I'm lucky if I can get 30 minutes uninterrupted time in a day for it. Usually I have to grab 5 to 10 minutes here and there around family.

Regards, John