Is This Heresy

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I think we've seen this before.
I really would like to get it down to 1 , maybe 2, electrics and the same for acoustics.

This Rig Rundown on Tab Benoit comes to mind:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I like Keith and 5 Watt World. I think he's got some interesting thoughts around the whole smaller is better idea. He's not too far off so long as you realize he's going by the strict definitions of "need" and "want." He's not wrong. Most of us don't "need" a room full of guitars. But, for me anyways, part of the fun in playing is in collecting. I've got a wall of amps and a closet full of guitars, but I tend to play the same couple of amps and the same 2 or 3 guitars way more than any of the others.

Part of Keith's schtick (for lack of a better word) is being a frugal guitar player. How inexpensively can you chase your tone. If you're into collecting, get the PRS and the 339. If getting something new keeps you motivated to practice and play, get the PRS or the 339. If you're looking to be as frugal a musician as possible, you've already got guitars. Pick your fave, sell the rest, and don't buy any more.

Like I said, for me part of the fun is in collecting. There was a time that I could only afford to have 1 guitar. At the moment, I'm blessed beyond that, and pretty much get the ones that catch my eye. Personally, I'll keep the closet full of guitars, still prowl for something else that looks cool, and keep playing the same couple that I always tend to grab. Because that's what motivates me to practice and work to be a better musician.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I like art. I like guitars. I can practice my art with guitars. Guitars are wonderful to look at and I also enjoy them when playing them. All I need to do to decorate a room is place a guitar in the right place and it occupies the imagination and the vision of what the space can become........... :Beer:

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I thought i was done at 3 gibsons i have a gorgeous 2018 SG HP model in cobalt fade ( dark blue ) and two stunning LP Studio hp models including the one shown in my profile pic. Plus one all black one because well everyone needs at least one all black guitar.

I like the LP studio HP models without the binding along fretboard etc.

I was done finished complete and happy.

Until that darn collector version of the PRS King Crimson schizoid man just rocked mei had to have one. But that one I think wont get played much for a while maybe just out for jams and playing out.

So one more PRS to practice on and play that matches closely physically against the schizoid thats my PRS whale blue 24 fret S2 model.

I really hope I am done for a while. But dang there is that PRS Santana model ...

Did I forget to brag my LP honey was signed by Nita Strauss?

CF35AAA0-9004-4A59-B49F-680EF6986B7D.jpeg

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I’ve sold several guitars recently. They were nice, and not like my others, but I just didn’t play them. I also needed the money. I’ve sold some amps too. I just sell the stuff I can do without.

There are some I will never sell, and some of those I don’t play, but I am attached to them.

What surprised me was how little I missed them.

Now I find myself seeing an amp or a guitar I like and I think, that would be cool. So I may buy more gear in the future. I will probably sell more too.

I like having tge ability to get rid of stuff, and free up tge $$ for other uses.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I only have about 15, so not much, but they all do something different than the others

I try not to add one, unless it will do something the others wont do.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The operative word here is need. How many guitars do you need to produce great music. The answer to that is one. But which one? How do you settle on just one without trying a bunch? It's like cars. Some people could give a rip so long as it packs their butt from point A to point B ... a Volkswagen bug is just as good as a ferari. But most of us are quite picky and try many over our lifetimes and generally finally settle on one make or another. I have 16 electrics, and they all sound and play a bit differently. Can they all be made to sound the same and play the same by twisting knobs on my amps and pedals? The answer to that is NO. Do I have favorites? YES. I have dual humbucker guitars. Semi hollow and solid. Different pickups in all of them, optimized for one primary purpose. One is OUTSTANDING for blues but can't really cut the mustard for classic rock. One is optimized for classic rock but is a little too hot for blues. Neither of them can sound like my Strats. Could I get through life with just one? Yes. But knowing now what I know, would I be totally happy with it no matter what kind of music I'm playing? No.

I am not a recording artist where developing my own signature tone and selling that is ultra important and who only plays one basic type of music.

Jeff Beck plays primarily a very specially set up Strat. But there is also this. If his favorite Strat was capable of sounding like the guitars he is using here ....

Last edited:

TerryH

Blues Newbie
The thing about this is that both sides of the argument is right. It’s true you don’t need to have a huge collection of guitars. But if you can afford to, why not? In my case it’s easy because I’m simply not in a position to, but if I was who knows? I’d like a Tele and and a Gibson 335, preferably a vintage one - I can fantasise here because I’m not going to get one - and that’s just for starters. But the reality is even if I could I wouldn’t have anywhere to keep them. I’ve got paintings stacked up because I have run out of wall space. So no room for guitars!

But if you really want that PRS or 339, Artyman... Life is too short not to.

Last edited: