Making Progress

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
any progress is great......the best thing as I have been told, the first lessons progress is slow, but as you get more and more into it, other lessons go quicker and easier

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I posted a recording of Sitting Easy Blues, have to give it a try. Not too great , still working on it, I hope I can do better with more practice. While working on that I started on the 2nd licks.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Started working on Full Out Blues, that B7 chord is quite a challenge.

From a fellow struggler: keep at it. The journey is as much fun as arriving.

One trick for the B7 I've used is not worrying about the pinky on the treble E if I'm playing rhythm. "Inside 4" is a thing. :Beer:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I might add that becoming familiar with that shape is going to help big time with the "Hendrix" chord, which is a dominant 7 #9 chord. Think Purple Haze. You'll dig it.

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
Challenging aint it!

I found spending a few minutes a day doing Justin Sandercoe's One Minute Changes exercise between E7 and B7 helped get it down for that.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
From a fellow struggler: keep at it. The journey is as much fun as arriving.

One trick for the B7 I've used is not worrying about the pinky on the treble E if I'm playing rhythm. "Inside 4" is a thing. :Beer:

That makes sense, my pinky is the problem child.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
dont stress it, some people struggle with 9 chords, I found them easy, and the b7 was easy for me..................but, I cant form a 5th string minor barre chord to save my life, we are all different

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
Started working on Full Out Blues, that B7 chord is quite a challenge.
Same. I'm up to Muddy A Blues in BBG and still struggle a bit with the B7, mostly on chord changes, but it gets better every day. I probably spent a week of just playing the B7 until I figured it out. Continually practiced changing between the A7, E7, and B7 until it worked. Didn't even look at the lesson.

The best tip I found on this forum was, I think from Palo, is just find what works for you and go with it. For me I found that changing the angle of my first finger until it brushes the nut solved a lot of my issues.

I was beginning to wonder if my fat hands were not suitable for guitar but the slight adjustment changes the angle of my hand and gets my pinky to slide in clear of the fret wire. No instruction was found on this. I just figured it out on my own, and that's been one of the most satisfying aspect of this marvelous journey into learning guitar and eventually (hopefully) making music.

Now I'm wrestling stopping the buzz on the G7 as the stretch to the 6 string is a bit beyond my present hand strength. There's always something that will force you to dig deeper.

Stick with it...everyone says the same but its so true. One day its just going to work.