DBF

Blues Newbie
Hi,
I'm new here. I've tried a couple of other learning systems but they didn't work for me so, because I love the blues, I figured I would try this system.

I have never been comfortable using a pick so plan to learn with my fingers, I hope that won't limit me.

Looking forward to getting started on the first lesson tonight!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum DBF. Good to have you with us!! :thumbup:

Other musicians that don't use a pick? Jeff Beck, Lindsey Buckingham, Mark Knopfler, Hubert Sumlin, Robby Krieger, just to name a few.

Reactions: DBF

DBF

Blues Newbie
Thanks folks. I figured I would be OK using my fingers, but wasn't absolutely certain. Griff touched upon this in his intro video, but didn't really expand on it and really just said that he works under the assumption that most will use a pick.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Welcome DBF, I hope you will use finger style but do spend some time with a pick. The acoustic course can be all finger style and much of the other courses can be either, though some lessons are electric/pick style. Again Welcome.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi,
I'm new here. I've tried a couple of other learning systems but they didn't work for me so, because I love the blues, I figured I would try this system.

I have never been comfortable using a pick so plan to learn with my fingers, I hope that won't limit me.

Looking forward to getting started on the first lesson tonight!

Welcome DBF
Using your fingers absolutely will not hinder you. I Wish I was better at it. It may slow you down some, both in speed and in learning curve, but both can be overcome. There are plenty of great players out there current and past) that mainly used fingers.

DBF

Blues Newbie
I should explain what I mean when I say I use my fingers - I use the thumb for downstrokes and the index finger for upstrokes. That way I can alternate pick. Same method is used for strumming, although I will sometimes use the back of my index fingernail for that. Barre chords should work the same as strumming, but not sure what I will do about power chords.

I feel much more confident when using my fingers, and definitely feel more connected to the guitar. I also think that my hands coordinate better than when using a pick. Not sure why that is.

If you watch the first minute of this video, this guy picks in a similar fashion to what I am talking about: