Recording Amp Modeling Interface

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
We often get questions about recording gear..interfaces and such.
Like most technology these days, there's always several ways to get things done.

Here's a new piece of gear I find very interesting.
It's an interface with a build in tube amp plus speaker cab modeling.

If I was building my recording setup from scratch, I think I'd invest in this.
It spans the world of analog and digital in a nice desk top unit.

It's not for everyone but, if you do lots of guitar recording, this looks like a fantastic rig.
Check out the vids.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sono--audient-sono-guitar-recording-audio-interface

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Isn't that basically what an 11 Rack does except the 11R has more options and may even be cheaper (though it is on the way out...)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Isn't that basically what an 11 Rack does except the 11R has more options and may even be cheaper (though it is on the way out...)
Come to think of it, you might be right.
I haven't explored everything it does yet.

The obvious difference is it starts off as an analog unit with a tube preamp it also has two mic preamps.

TwoNotes has a good reputation for cab simulation so, I'd assume its a notch about what 11r has in that area.
As an interface, it's got an 8 channel input via ADAT, I don't recall if 11 has that.

Given my investment in other gear, I won't be getting it.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I like the fact that it has mic preamps, but was expecting more in sound from a unit with a tube in it.

IMO you get better sound from Bias Amp 2 for under $200, and have much more customization ability, but you have to buy a separate interface.

I thought not bad overall, but the "blanket over the amp" kept coming to mind when I A/B ed it against Bias Amp 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbyEgbUVMc

But it is an initial release, so with time may get better. Of course everything depends on what your needs are, and what your ears hear.

Thanks for posting.
I think you're comparing apple and oranges.
Bias Amp 2 is strictly software.

Their hardware gear ranges in price from $800 - $1,200.
They are not interfaces and have no mic preamps.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I think you're comparing apple and oranges.
Bias Amp 2 is strictly software.

Their hardware gear ranges in price from $800 - $1,200.
They are not interfaces and have no mic preamps.
For under $300 you can run the software either as a plugin, on PC, IOS, that would include an I/O interface.

aleclee

Tribe of One
For under $300 you can run the software either as a plugin, on PC, IOS, that would include an I/O interface.
At that price point, I can almost guarantee complaints about feeling disconnected due to latency. That is the biggest issue with most cost-effective interfaces. Impedance issues are also common in interfaces that aren't tailored to DI guitars.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've got no skin in the game so, I don't feel it necessary to promote any virtues of this thing.

Having said that, I'm not sure I understand @Crossroads POV on this.
It is an interface, so I don't understand how it can be compared to a plugin that runs through an independent interface.

@aleclee, I agree, latency can be a show stopper but, this thing has a monitor mix control that allows you to play/listen latency free.

What caught my attention is the hybrid set up with an real tube generating the guitar sound and the cabs, mics, rooms & effects being emulated in the digital world.

A decent interface with two mic pres and a guitar input would probably run $150 - $250 plus.
The least expensive version of TwoNotes Cab sim is $300.
Add something like Bias Amp software and a comparable package would come in around $600 - $800 and it would be all digital.
If you like what tubes do, the price would increase from there.

I think Mike's comparison to 11r makes some sense because it's got a built in interface an extra mic pre, effects and amp models.

I still believe this is a nice piece of gear, particularly for those of us hanging onto analog in a digital world.

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
At that price point, I can almost guarantee complaints about feeling disconnected due to latency. That is the biggest issue with most cost-effective interfaces. Impedance issues are also common in interfaces that aren't tailored to DI guitars.
Dunno. Haven't had to use one yet, but have seen a lot of posts from people using sub $150 interfaces with no noticeable latency.

Don't really know if price is a true reflection, as some say sometimes the lower price units work better. But that's them saying that, not me

This and the 2 channel @ 129 seem to get good reviews, though I am not a big Berhinger fan.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc404hd-usb-audio-interface

aleclee

Tribe of One
@aleclee, I agree, latency can be a show stopper but, this thing has a monitor mix control that allows you to play/listen latency free.
If you're using the monitor mix, what's doing the amp modeling? The monitor mix just sends the input signal direct to the output without running through the computer. If you're using an amp sim on the computer, the zero-latency signal won't have that processing.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The main function of this thing is to give you a tube amp for recording by building in an interface and cab/mic simulation.
As I understand it, the TwoNotes cab/mic sim is done inside unit as apposed to in the computer.
If that's true, the output signal would carry the processed sound. Yes?
I know the software has a digital mixer to be used with your DAW but, I don't know what else it does.

aleclee

Tribe of One
The main function of this thing is to give you a tube amp for recording by building in an interface and cab/mic simulation.
As I understand it, the TwoNotes cab/mic sim is done inside unit as apposed to in the computer.
If that's true, the output signal would carry the processed sound. Yes?
I know the software has a digital mixer to be used with your DAW but, I don't know what else it does.
My latency comment was in response to @Crossroads post.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Don’t think a dollar figure is related to increased latency. Just hooked up my iPad to an eight-year-old Line 6 sonic port that cost $75. No noticeable latency, with amp and effect processing running.
Most budget kit has greater latency. I've tried multiple iPad interfaces and the best I could do latency-wise was barely tolerable.

Some people have different thresholds of irritation when it comes to latency. I have a friend who played a similar rig into a speaker that added even more latency and he was quite content. If it works for you, it works but there are a lot of folks who would feel disconnected playing through a rig with more than 6-8ms of latency.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
All I can say is when I hit the strings with the Sonic port they ring out. No delay or over rings even when doing 2 handed tapping. My pod HD 500 for me is completely unusable due to latency, and that is over five times the cost of the sonic port. As for what others have said I’m merely reporting it I can’t confirm or deny it.

So based on what I’ve seen, and what others have said, I am of the opinion price does not necessarily mean lower latency. Obviously you have a different opinion, Why don’t we just leave it at that. ;)

Last edited: