Next best Semi-Hollow body if I can't afford a Gibson ES335?

michaeljohnson123

Blues Newbie
I am on the market for a good semi-hollow body guitar and would love to have a Gibson ES335 but can't afford one. I'm asking for recommendations on the next best thing with my budget topping out at around $1400.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Firefly! Best $140.00 I ever spent!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Hollow-Electric-Guitar-Cable-Sunburst/dp/B01N9V0GV5

That’s the guitar but I got the blue one. The only thing I have done to it is change the strings (the strings that it came with were rusty). It’s lightweight, the pick-ups sound amazingly good (especially on a guitar this cheap), and is super-fun to play. The tuners do feel pretty cheap but it does stay in tune surprisingly well. Changing the tuners is probably the only up-grade I may do in the future (I'm lazy and really like locking tuners)
A lot of people on this forum have purchased a Firefly and I’m sure you will here from them as their recommendation.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Epiphone Sheraton. Or, since your budget is 1400, keep an eye out for a bit if it doesn't have to be brand spanking new. You can probably find a good used 335 for that if you don't have to have something right now and don't mind working the used gear sites a little bit. Doing a quick search on reverb, I see quite a few between 1000 and 1500.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
If you want a real Gibson, you can probably get a used ES-137 in mint condition in your price range.
There are lots of good options of highly playable instruments that sound good in almost every price range under your budget.
It seems that finding the perfect "real" 335 can be a daunting task - quality and sound are all over the map over the years.
Best bet is to go out and try a bunch of different options until you find the one that feels and sounds right to you.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
The 335 Studio lacks binding and fancy fret inlays but in working respects is a full-on 335. I've seen new ones in the $1700 range. This link has two used ones under $1k and a couple within $100 of your limit.
Mine's a studio that I got for 1500 brand new a couple of years ago. It's got 4 knobs. I think the 2015 studios they only gave 2 knobs, and then saw the error of their ways and went back to the 4 knob layout. The "binding" on it is painted around the body and it has the baked fretboard but still had the 57 Classics and the 335 sound for days. If I remember right, there was something different about the bridge from the regular 335 as well but I don't remember what. Imho the studio isn't a bad alternative to scratch the itch. Ymmv

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Mine's a studio that I got for 1500 brand new a couple of years ago. It's got 4 knobs. I think the 2015 studios they only gave 2 knobs, and then saw the error of their ways and went back to the 4 knob layout. The "binding" on it is painted around the body and it has the baked fretboard but still had the 57 Classics and the 335 sound for days. If I remember right, there was something different about the bridge from the regular 335 as well but I don't remember what. Imho the studio isn't a bad alternative to scratch the itch. Ymmv

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the knob change. Mine was a 2016, just like this one:

https://reverb.com/item/24580708-gibson-es-335-memphis-studio-2016-ginger-burst

I sold it when I got the 339; I wasn't a fan of the larger 335 body.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The best semi-hollow body, or the next best semi-hollow body guitar, is one that you actually play. One that when you look at it it calls you to play it and you walk over, pick it up, switch the amp on,and play. There is no substitute. If you don't want to play it? It's a waste of money at any price. BTW, I picked up my semi hollow body Gibson ES 137 for about $1100. :Beer:

You might want to look at the Carvin guitars. They are now known as Kiesel guitars. If Frank Gambale plays them, they have to be a great guitar! Most peoples on the forum I'm a big fan of Gibson guitars. If I could get a Frank Gambale artist guitar I'd be a pretty happy man......... I understand that model might be more than your $1400 budget but they may have something else in you range?

Last edited: