HTJBA - I think she likes it!

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I've been bouncing back and forth amongst several different courses here and through TrueFire, but recently decided to focus, after hearing the following from my girlfriend.

"I don't know what you've changed, cuz you're gear and what you're studying all the time, but you've made some dramatic improvement in the last few weeks. I mean, you're really getting good!"

So what is it you ask (as if the title doesn't give it away)? I was sitting out on the patio with my acoustic, while she was playing with the dog. I've been working through the first two choruses of the blues Griff uses as the 13th example of Section 2 of How To Play the Blues Alone and a comping pattern out of section 11 of Blues Guitar Unleashed.

And you know what I think elicited the response? That I'm finally getting beyond just a lick, or a small section of something and playing a "song". Playing something that a larger population can relate to.

Yeah... I'm excited! Super excited!

WimVD

Every day I have the blues
I'm with you on this one. HTJBA has brought me to a point where I can just pick up my guitar and jam the blues. It has given me back the joy of playing acoustic as well, after playing electric with backing tracks for many months.

Wim.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I'm with you on this one. HTJBA has brought me to a point where I can just pick up my guitar and jam the blues. It has given me back the joy of playing acoustic as well, after playing electric with backing tracks for many months.

Wim.

I’m with you. It’s rekindling an interest in playing the acoustic.

I was talking with my dad earlier and mentioned my experience with HTJBA and playing outside wit Kim. He said he was glad I was getting satisfaction out of entertaining others... I’ve NEVER considered that aspect of playing music! I know that sounds ridiculous, but it’s the truth.

Kinda dumb-founded about that, but I’m almost giddy in discovering my enjoyment in performing for others.

pickindablues

Blues Newbie
.... I've been working through the first two choruses of the blues Griff uses as the 13th example of Section 2 of How To Play the Blues Alone and a comping pattern out of section 11 of Blues Guitar Unleashed.

I bet that sounds cool...I just got the How To Play the Blues Alone course, just starting it. I have always liked that BGU Example 11, B minor Blues, bet that sounds great together. Have any interest in sharing a recording of how it sounds? No pressure, just curious, something for me to strive for. Thanks for sharing.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I bet that sounds cool...I just got the How To Play the Blues Alone course, just starting it. I have always liked that BGU Example 11, B minor Blues, bet that sounds great together. Have any interest in sharing a recording of how it sounds? No pressure, just curious, something for me to strive for. Thanks for sharing.
Well my laptop just took a dump about a week back, so I don’t know that I’ll be pursuing any recording in the near future.

pickindablues

Blues Newbie
Well my laptop just took a dump about a week back, so I don’t know that I’ll be pursuing any recording in the near future.
Bummer about the laptop. Mine, I fear, is on its last legs. Looking for a replacement now, before it dies and prices skyrocket.
Good luck, and if you find a way I'd still be interested in hearing how it sounds....Thanks.
I guess this is the only forum thread for How To Play Blues Alone. Have you found any others?

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Well there’s not a specific sub-forum here at BGU so it all goes here. There are three of four threads on the course.

Also there are several courses and lessons that address the acoustic guitar. Most obvious being the “Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed” (I don’t know how much is focused on playing alone).

The last two lessons in BGU2.0 are specifically for “Playing on the Porch”. There’s also a small breakout course of that name.

There’s “Acoustic Delta Blues Slide Guitar” if you want to add slide.

And he has a couple of specific tunes lessons that he has for acoustic: “Traveling Blues” and “Spent Money Blues”.

If you have the desire for other material, check out TrueFire. I recently picked up “Essentials: Fingerstyle Blues” which looks pretty good! It has 10 songs and their breakdowns.

Given all that, I haven’t really looked further into specific acoustic stuff.

I think that “How to Jam the Blues Alone is more about giving you a framework to take everything else you learn and being able to bring into a singular context. It’s a blueprint for when you just want to noodle, but sound cohesive and good while doing it. Right now I'm a long way from sounding cohesive.

pickindablues

Blues Newbie
Well there’s not a specific sub-forum here at BGU so it all goes here. There are three of four threads on the course.

Also there are several courses and lessons that address the acoustic guitar. Most obvious being the “Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed” (I don’t know how much is focused on playing alone).

The last two lessons in BGU2.0 are specifically for “Playing on the Porch”. There’s also a small breakout course of that name.

There’s “Acoustic Delta Blues Slide Guitar” if you want to add slide.

And he has a couple of specific tunes lessons that he has for acoustic: “Traveling Blues” and “Spent Money Blues”.

If you have the desire for other material, check out TrueFire. I recently picked up “Essentials: Fingerstyle Blues” which looks pretty good! It has 10 songs and their breakdowns.

Given all that, I haven’t really looked further into specific acoustic stuff.

I think that “How to Jam the Blues Alone is more about giving you a framework to take everything else you learn and being able to bring into a singular context. It’s a blueprint for when you just want to noodle, but sound cohesive and good while doing it. Right now I'm a long way from sounding cohesive.

Thanks for all the info and references. I now officially have more than one lifetimes worth of work.....:)
I like the goal of "cohesive noodling" I've been chuckling at that ever since you posted it.
Keep Strumming.....:)