Andertons,, sound like cheapish blues rigs

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I have a hard time arguing with the CV strat and the Princeton. The other rig was rather uninspiring to me.

Princeton’s just sound glorious despite the semi-hefty price tag. As for the CV strat, I bought one to use as a mod platform and it was so darn good out of the box, the only thing I ended up doing to it was to add a Clapton/Fender midboost circuit and block the trem.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I must say though, £1500 isn't my idea of a tight budget!!!:eek: They should have tried doing it for about £600
That was kind of my thought. At current rates, isn't £1500 about $1700 or $1800 or so? I'd've liked to have seen them do the entire challenge for the price of the Princeton or, preferably, less. I think "busting the bank" means something different to everybody with a bank account to bust, but, in my head, if a kid in high school can't pretty quickly save up the money mowing yards (or whatever their part time job is), then, at least in spirit, it busts the bank. I did like the fact that they both chose a different rig for the money...I like options.

The vid reminded me of a thing that GP mag used to do that was my fave thing in any guitar mag out there. It was the Sound Like page. I don't think they've had it as a feature since like 2012 or something. They'd pick an artist, and then give you two columns. I forget what they named them, but it was basically Here's the Artist's Rig and Here's the Budget Rig. The Artist side of the page would always add up to what you would expect...high end gear that added up to 5 figures easily...sometimes well into 5 digits I think the Warren Haynes rig was like $30k - I remember it because it was the first time I had ever heard of a Klon Centaur). The Budget side would contain both budget and mid-range gear, and usually ended up at $2k or less. If the artist used a Gibson, they'd use the Epi equivalent. If they used a particular pedal, they'd try to find something similar for a lot cheaper. It was always fun to see what they would come up with.

I watch most everything from Anderton's that they post that's the Captain and Chappers as well as the Acoustic Paradisio segments (or whatever they call it). I need to add this series to my list too. Neither one of them picked the budget rig I would've picked, but it was fun to see what they got, why they got, and hear the result. Thanks for posting!

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
That was kind of my thought. At current rates, isn't £1500 about $1700 or $1800 or so? I'd've liked to have seen them do the entire challenge for the price of the Princeton or, preferably, less. I think "busting the bank" means something different to everybody with a bank account to bust, but, in my head, if a kid in high school can't pretty quickly save up the money mowing yards (or whatever their part time job is), then, at least in spirit, it busts the bank. I did like the fact that they both chose a different rig for the money...I like options.

The vid reminded me of a thing that GP mag used to do that was my fave thing in any guitar mag out there. It was the Sound Like page. I don't think they've had it as a feature since like 2012 or something. They'd pick an artist, and then give you two columns. I forget what they named them, but it was basically Here's the Artist's Rig and Here's the Budget Rig. The Artist side of the page would always add up to what you would expect...high end gear that added up to 5 figures easily...sometimes well into 5 digits I think the Warren Haynes rig was like $30k - I remember it because it was the first time I had ever heard of a Klon Centaur). The Budget side would contain both budget and mid-range gear, and usually ended up at $2k or less. If the artist used a Gibson, they'd use the Epi equivalent. If they used a particular pedal, they'd try to find something similar for a lot cheaper. It was always fun to see what they would come up with.

I watch most everything from Anderton's that they post that's the Captain and Chappers as well as the Acoustic Paradisio segments (or whatever they call it). I need to add this series to my list too. Neither one of them picked the budget rig I would've picked, but it was fun to see what they got, why they got, and hear the result. Thanks for posting!

these two do a sound like,, loads on there,,without busting the bank has a limit of £1500,,then they do an unlimited cost version

aleclee

Tribe of One
That was kind of my thought. At current rates, isn't £1500 about $1700 or $1800 or so?
FWIW, exchange rates aren't a great translator of international gear prices. Typically, you can just take the dollar amount and use the same number for pounds or euros so £1500 will get you about the same as $1500 will buy you in the US. Even so, a lot of people consider that a lot of money.

As an alternate perspective, my kid just started taking sax and the retail on his student instrument is $1,400.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Don't forget these guys run a shop. To encourage £1500 as not busting the bank is good business. Also If I remember correctly they used to cap it at £1000 but found for a guitar an amp and enough pedals to sound like someone then they were always choosing from the same small pool of gear. For under £1000 for amp and guitar you really drop into modelling teritory. I guess they want to sell Tube amps as this is what is popular and I suspect has better markup.

cheers

Al.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
As an alternate perspective, my kid just started taking sax and the retail on his student instrument is $1,400.

That's the starting price of a Fender or Gibson

Just like you can find cheaper guitars made in the Far East, you can find much cheaper brass instruments:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00501ISJ4

My son uses a $99 Chinese made flute for his marching band instead of his $2000 Yamaha and it works fine. I think it's just that other instruments have not yet accepted the fact that they can be made cheaper with only incremental differences in quality vs orders of magnitude in price.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I think what impressed me the most was that Matt and Rabbea spent half the time Cap'n and Chappers would have for the same content.
I also don't believe the Ibanez/Blues Jr. combo was optimized for tone nearly as well as the Strat/Princeton combo was.