Time signatures

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Aside from 4/4 or 12/8, I’ve never really understood how time signatures work. This guy seems to explain it in a fairly simple manner. Not that I will be playing anything in 19/16 time, but it was interesting to see how it works.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Aside from 4/4 or 12/8, I’ve never really understood how time signatures work. This guy seems to explain it in a fairly simple manner. Not that I will be playing anything in 19/16 time, but it was interesting to see how it works.

That's a really good explanation and I really like the use of the examples. I still haven't wrapped my head around some of those odd time signatures but this really helps.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
most of us wlil never ecounter 5/4 except in Take Five by Brubeck. There is a 7/8 song in Evita

There's also Blue Rondo a la Turk, which is in 9/8 and from a song he heard in Turkey. Dave Brubeck loved to experiment with odd time signatures. The story he told was that as a kid, he worked on his dad's ranch and would have to do maintenance on a water pump that was powered by a generator running on an old 2-stroke engine that would generate really interested rhythms that he would listen to.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
What about “Money” (Pink Floyd) which has both 7/4 and 4/4....
As a drummer I like those odd time signatures.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thanks. That was informative. I'm teaching my grandson guitar and trying to push a little theory
his way. Much appreciated!