Gibson strike again

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
That's SICK---look like non-reverse firebirds---or something similar. But regardless, some body needs to take them BOYS out and give them good old fashioned ASS WHUPPIN'.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
If they where crappy guitars that could't sell, so be it!

However, it points out a few things to me:

- It suggests they've made a major blunder by producing such crap in the first place.
- I've witnesses and overseen similar destruction of many things less interesting then guitars and I always reminds me of what a wasteful society we live in.
- "Accounting purposes", I get it but, it speaks to the crazy systems we've created to protect the bottom line.
Yeah, the Dunkin doughnuts destroys food before throwing away the extra................while it drives me crazy, I get it. If thye give food away, someone gets sick, they get sued (and right now with the homeless issue, we watch lawyers hand out cards encouraging homeless to find reasons to file against businesses

I have also watched people demand stores return/ exchange / credit for a printer they pulled out of a trash can

I just hate the waste myself

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
:eek::eek:No More Latte's for you my boy, if they make you this aggressive!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Be glad I watched it today instead of Sunday---I would have been on a plane on my way to Memphis with another HUGE LATTE in one hand and a razor strap in the other. I'd show them BOYS what a good old fashioned ass whuppin' is all about. They would probably have gave me all them guitars just to get me to quit. :Beer: By the way that is a Latte, not a beer in my hand.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Wow, that’s crazy bizarre!!! Can you imagine a few executives sitting around the table, hey BillyBob, we have 2000 guitars that aren’t selling, what do you think we should do with em??? I know, let’s carefully place them back to back and uniformly spaced out so that we can drive an excavator over them. Great idea!

I would have loved to been the fly on the wall for that discussion… what the heck??

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I know the guy who is the final inspector at Heritage guitar here in Kalamazoo. (the old Gibson factory) If it's not perfect it doesn't go out. They don't donate the rejects either. They simply don't want people to see an inferior product and start badmouthing them. Not good for business I guess.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Just wood metal and plastic. It the musician that puts the music and magic into the instrument. Just dead wood and plastic.

They overproduced. You can’t give it away. Then you loose the money it cost to build them, and the money you would make from people who would have bought another Gibson guitar until these cheap Gibson guitars became available.

It looks real dramatic, but this is just common business practice. It’s not even that many guitars.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along

interesting video plus a take on take on Peavey as well,,but from 15.00 ES destruction ,,makes your hair curl lol

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
All I can do is sit and shake my head---I just don't get it. I am sure they have already took the tax write off when they bought the wood-the paint-the component-the labor---now they will probably want to write it all off again as a loss.---Wish I could have run my business' with double write offs....If I made a bad decision, I paid dearly...and I made my fair share.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
so looked into it more, supposedly, these are ones that were water damaged in some flood
If that's the case, the flood in Nashville, then they probably aren't allowed to give them away or sell them because there was raw sewage in the flood water. It all seems to be a tempest in a teapot. Since Bill seems like he'd never buy a Gibson I'm not sure why he gets his panties in a wad over them. :D

Norfolk Bill

If that's the case, the flood in Nashville, then they probably aren't allowed to give them away or sell them because there was raw sewage in the flood water. It all seems to be a tempest in a teapot. Since Bill seems like he'd never buy a Gibson I'm not sure why he gets his panties in a wad over them. :D

nothing to do with owning one i have,,,its just interesting to follow the story, its all over the online guitar comunity,,just posted for those that might be interested and are not as sad as me following so many channels about guitar ;)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Wow! Sweetwater is having a yellow tag sale right now and through August! Get your brand new Gibson or demo Gibson at a great sale price!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
hmmmm, I didnt even think about the raw sewage.

I have a feeling, maybe they had to be destroyed because of sewage in the water, I dont know much about that.

but, my take is this, they have had two quick instances of very public, very negative publicity recently, so someone in corporate thought this would be taken as a laugh and maybe get people to forget the other problems

I mean, really, who uses an excavator to drive over a bunch of guitars perfectly lined up ?
So yeah, I think this was meant to be taken with some humor

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Well I'd say that as publicity stunts go, this one worked out pretty well for Gibson.

I mean, on this forum alone, we have a video and two pages of conversation about Gibson guitars.
Multiply that by all of the other guitar forums around the world and by now there are likely hundreds of thousands of other people talking about Gibson guitars as well.

It doesn't really matter why -- all that matters is that people are talking about Gibson guitars, right?

It just goes to prove what I've always said: "Fame or Infamy; either one will get your name in the paper" (and people will talk about you). ;)

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I mean, really, who uses an excavator to drive over a bunch of guitars perfectly lined up ?
Standard youtube faire. Who chews hot peppers and posts it? And who uses harmonizer to make it into a song?

Anything that can be done will be done if it gets youtube hits :)

Eric

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Standard youtube faire. Who chews hot peppers and posts it? And who uses harmonizer to make it into a song?

Anything that can be done will be done if it gets youtube hits :)

Eric
exctly, which is why I think the was a publicity stunt for Gibson to get some laughs and try to counteract the negative publicity lately

Norfolk Bill

exctly, which is why I think the was a publicity stunt for Gibson to get some laughs and try to counteract the negative publicity lately

Really from what ive seen and read its had the opposite effect ,,,just building on the authentic fiasco

Last edited: