ANY NEW COURSES

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I've been gone about 5 weeks with vacation and stuff. Just wanted to know if any new courses came out since "How To Jam The Blues Alone"? I will have a Golden Ticket to redeem in about a week or so. Thanks.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say, but if you look at some of the older courses ad see which do not have the score within the video you may have a good idea.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I don't mind letting the cat out of the bag, it's Soloing Without Scales.

Ask anyone who has gone through it, and they'll tell you it was a huge part of them being able to take a solo for the first time. I get tons of great feedback from that course - but it's now almost 10 years old and it's time for a facelift.

When BGU Live first started, and live workshops in general, this was ALWAYS the course people referenced for getting their solos going at first.

Hopefully it'll be done in August... I'll keep you posted.

As for new past that, I have some ideas, but I don't like to talk about them until they are imminent.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I don't mind letting the cat out of the bag, it's Soloing Without Scales.

Ask anyone who has gone through it, and they'll tell you it was a huge part of them being able to take a solo for the first time. I get tons of great feedback from that course - but it's now almost 10 years old and it's time for a facelift.

When BGU Live first started, and live workshops in general, this was ALWAYS the course people referenced for getting their solos going at first.

Hopefully it'll be done in August... I'll keep you posted.

As for new past that, I have some ideas, but I don't like to talk about them until they are imminent.

It's it just new recording or will there be some extra NEW stuff in there as well to be worth getting again

Griff

Staff member
It's it just new recording or will there be some extra NEW stuff in there as well to be worth getting again
If you have the original, the update will just appear for you, it doesn't count as "new" in that way.

Mostly, it's a facelift. That being said, I do new jam tracks, all new video, and obviously I'm going to explain things slightly differently, due to the fact that I now know what things might have been confusing before.

Of particular interest on this one, the solos will be divided up into licks - the original is not like that. Doing that, alone, makes the lick breakdowns WAY easier to follow (and allows you to navigate through the video directly to the lick you want to work on.)

Some of the transcriptions had some details that I thought were odd, so those are cleaned up and I've adjusted a couple of things that I thought were awkward (fingerings or rhythms.) Not enough that I would consider them new, or even changed, really, just tightened up slightly.

Mr.Scary

If you have the original, the update will just appear for you, it doesn't count as "new" in that way.

Mostly, it's a facelift. That being said, I do new jam tracks, all new video, and obviously I'm going to explain things slightly differently, due to the fact that I now know what things might have been confusing before.

Of particular interest on this one, the solos will be divided up into licks - the original is not like that. Doing that, alone, makes the lick breakdowns WAY easier to follow (and allows you to navigate through the video directly to the lick you want to work on.)

Some of the transcriptions had some details that I thought were odd, so those are cleaned up and I've adjusted a couple of things that I thought were awkward (fingerings or rhythms.) Not enough that I would consider them new, or even changed, really, just tightened up slightly.
So will the option to get the DVD and manual show up to purchase since we have the I original?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
@Griff, for us acoustic guys how about some more courses like Travelling and Spent Money Blues? Maybe something in a Mississippi John Hurt style. It would be nice :) I don't know how popular those courses were so if it's worth the effort it would be nice.

Eric

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
SWS was the second course I bought. It has a lot of great stuff in it and has always been one of my favorites. Looks like it will be time to go back to it.

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
I'm really pleased to hear that SWS is getting a face lift. I rushed through that one and didn't get all the value. Coming back to it a couple of years later, and with a few more miles under my belt will surely help.

When we were first speculating, I would have guess Beginning Blues Guitar, as Griff had mentioned previously that it was also both "dated" and "popular".
Looking forward to the upgrade on SWS!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
BBG was updated earlier this year.:)

Check out the new videos and manual which magically replaced the old on your "My Courses" page.

(Along with the ability to still download the old version.:sneaky:)

Griff

Staff member
@Griff, for us acoustic guys how about some more courses like Travelling and Spent Money Blues? Maybe something in a Mississippi John Hurt style. It would be nice :) I don't know how popular those courses were so if it's worth the effort it would be nice.

Eric
I actually have a tune written in a Keb Mo style. It's really fun, but I wrote it last year and then forgot how to play it (or that I even wrote it.) I'll have to see if I can find that one, I think you'd enjoy it.

Griff

Mr.Scary

SWS was the second course I bought. It has a lot of great stuff in it and has always been one of my favorites. Looks like it will be time to go back to it.
It was my 2nd course as well after BGU course for me. I'm looking forward to going through it again. Been working on Speed building courses and Jam tracks lately. Just can't get past that 120 bpm mark though.