Josh Smith on Rhythm Guitar

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
Just love this little 10 min video where Josh talks about his approach and the importance of good rhythm guitar.

https://youtu.be/b_FWHaCWarc

This speaks to me as i need to improve as a Rhythm Player, as it seems I've only got a couple of styles in my bag of tricks.

Which @Griff courses come closest to teaching some of these rhythm styles?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Little Wing lesson. The Motown styles you’ll probably have to go to a TrueFire. The Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course has an intro to funk but you’ll get more funk styles from Brad Carlton’s older rhythm courses on TrueFire.

If you haven’t done Griff’s Little Wing lesson yet it will keep you busy for a while but you’ll easily be able to adapt it to those styles in the first half of that video.

Eric

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I first learned about Josh Smith on the "Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea" cruise. We saw him on the first one we went on three years ago. He is just a monster guitarist.
It's a huge time investment, an hour, but I think worth it to watch this TrueFire Live video:
It's him promoting his new course from Truefire but he talks about rhythm a lot in this video.

And, of course, I have to sneak this in. From the cruise this year. Me in the middle, Josh Smith in the Michael Jackson Tee and Kirk Fletcher

IMG_2200.jpg

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Nice pic. 3 cool guitar players!!!

And I see Kirk Fletcher is wearing a Josh Smith shirt!!! ;-) Very cool!

matonanjin

@JestMe, you know I hate to correct you in a public forum like this but 2 cool guitar players.:cool:
And yes, I thought Kirk wearing a Josh shirt might be confusing!

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
I first learned about Josh Smith on the "Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea" cruise. We saw him on the first one we went on three years ago. He is just a monster guitarist.
It's a huge time investment, an hour, but I think worth it to watch this TrueFire Live video:
It's him promoting his new course from Truefire but he talks about rhythm a lot in this video.

And, of course, I have to sneak this in. From the cruise this year. Me in the middle, Josh Smith in the Michael Jackson Tee and Kirk Fletcher

View attachment 8340
Also became familiar with Josh on KTBA. He's become one of my favorites. Sorry that Joe decided to ditch the Fletcher/Smith jam sessions this year. Still recall the epic guitar duel between Josh, Kirk and Bonamassa a few years ago.

matonanjin

Also became familiar with Josh on KTBA. He's become one of my favorites. Sorry that Joe decided to ditch the Fletcher/Smith jam sessions this year. Still recall the epic guitar duel between Josh, Kirk and Bonamassa a few years ago.
You were also on the cruise?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! Why didn't we meet up? Yes, I was hugely disappointed when I found out Josh and Kirk are not on the cruise next year. We still signed up! To my wife and I, the highlight of the cruise was always the Artist Jam led by Josh and Kirk. I think it was last year that it went until almost 2 in the morning. The latest we had been up in years!;) I don't know if you agree or not but to me Paul Shaffer ruined it this year.

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
You were also on the cruise?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! Why didn't we meet up? Yes, I was hugely disappointed when I found out Josh and Kirk are not on the cruise next year. We still signed up! To my wife and I, the highlight of the cruise was always the Artist Jam led by Josh and Kirk. I think it was last year that it went until almost 2 in the morning. The latest we had been up in years!;) I don't know if you agree or not but to me Paul Shaffer ruined it this year.
Perhaps we did?

I joined this forum after KTBA V. Not going next year as I found the line up to be sub standard.

Totally agree on the disappointments of not having the Smith/Fletcher jam and both not being on the next cruise. I’ll see Kirk in Vegas in Sept.

Did not find any value at all in Paul Shaffer.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
What struck me was the fact that Josh Smith delved into rhythm guitar by studying and mastering the “Motown” or funk rhythms of the greats. Much like Griff did/does with the blues (rhythm & lead!). These guys with so much knowledge and skill make for great players AND teachers! Lucky us!

Last edited:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
@JestMe, you know I hate to correct you in a public forum like this but 2 cool guitar players.:cool:
And yes, I thought Kirk wearing a Josh shirt might be confusing!

I'll have to circle back to that pic with my glasses on! ;-)

I have been wanting to sign up for a KTBA cruiise... [my lovely wife is not inclined to be interested in Blues Cruises]. Judging by the discussion here re upcoming cruises it may seem the best of them have already floated by!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Just love this little 10 min video where Josh talks about his approach and the importance of good rhythm guitar.

https://youtu.be/b_FWHaCWarc

This speaks to me as i need to improve as a Rhythm Player, as it seems I've only got a couple of styles in my bag of tricks.

Which @Griff courses come closest to teaching some of these rhythm styles?
52 Rhythm Fills & Variations has a lot of that sort of thing... but also the Little Wing Lesson for the stuff he plays earlier, and there is funk stuff in Strumming & Rhythm Mastery.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
52 Rhythm Fills & Variations has a lot of that sort of thing... but also the Little Wing Lesson for the stuff he plays earlier, and there is funk stuff in Strumming & Rhythm Mastery.
While were on the subject a monthly challenge "comping with thirds and sixths" might be fun

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
@Griff - Thanks to you and the others for weighing in.
Another course I was going to ask you about was your 29 Blues Jam Tracks course. Which i think is one of the first you created if I'm not mistaken. I'm surprised you don't promote that more, as it looks very good ..... Seems like some of these rhythm options are in there too?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@Griff - Thanks to you and the others for weighing in.
Another course I was going to ask you about was your 29 Blues Jam Tracks course. Which i think is one of the first you created if I'm not mistaken. I'm surprised you don't promote that more, as it looks very good ..... Seems like some of these rhythm options are in there too?
That one is an odd course, actually... I didn't play on those jam tracks, they were done by some college students. But they were freely available for any use, so I filtered out the duplicates (there were 80ish originally, many in the same key and similar feels) and transcribed the rhythm parts.

There are some cool rhythms in there, but nothing really like the R&B stuff Josh is showing in the video earlier.