Martin Custom Shop or Martin EC?

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I was shopping for another electric, actually looking at a PRS Santana (then moved my thoughts to a Special Semi-Hollowbody) when it occured to me I am really fairly well set on electrics( Don't tell my wife!) What I really am lacking is a good acoustic. My Seagull is nice. But I want a nice Martin.

So I came across this gorgeous 000 burst custom shop in our local store. It is, just that, gorgeous and plays nice. And look at this wood work and grain!

IMG_20190608_162736709_NoPrice.jpg

IMG_20190608_141107373.jpg
But then I was in our local store, actually across the river in Council Bluffs. The only local store that carries PRS and came across this used 000-28 EC. An Eric Clapton signature that is used. It is used but one can't tell it. It is mint! And plays beautifully. I am the first to admit that I am a little more swayed by the EC name on it than I should be. And I know signature guitars are a rip off. But, this normally sell for quite a bit more than the other one, the custom shop, but it being used I can get these for about the same price. They are with $100 asking price. And the reviews I've seen on the Martin EC's are consistently glowing.
IMG_20190622_144549804_NoPrice.jpg

So you Martin guys and gals, what do you think? Either one should be considered overwhelmingly over the other, all things being equal? The cost is. Obviously, this is for acoustic blues.
Any thoughts are apreciated.

MGood1

Blues Newbie
I have a PRS Santana really nice guitar I also have two Martins, a D16RGT and an HD28 both excellent guitars, But there is a little difference in tone and feel. I would recommend spending a little time and play both and one will speak out to you over the other.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
If it were me, I'd go with the EC. They're both 000s so it's not like you're trying to decide between a dread and a smaller body. I'm sure that Custom Shop one plays and sounds just like a Martin should, but I'm a sucker for that traditional looking plain top Martin and not the burst. I also like the way that white/yellow colored spruce ages. My D35 is about 35 years old now, and it has actually settled into a yellow-orange kind of color that looks really cool imho. Besides, I played one of teh ECs at the local GC a year or so back for a little while and it was a niiiiice axe.

Along a totally different vein, if you're looking to buy the guitar and maybe someday get your money back (which is something I never recommend), I would speculate that the EC would be the one that might get you more than you paid for it eventually. I would expect the CS one to hold its value (or drop slightly) just because it's a Martin, but it won't have the universal appeal of the EC model. I would imagine that when EC finally kicks it, that guitar will go up in value slightly just because it's his signature model. Otherwise, I'm with you on signature models. I've got a Hendrix Monterrey Strat because I like the paint job on it, but not because it's got Jimi's name on it. Outside of that, the only signature model I would ever consider just on the strength of the fact that it's a signature model will be if Fender ever releases a Henry Garza Strat.

When it comes down to it though, which one speaks to you? It sounds like you really like the look of the CS and the sound of the EC. Which one is going to whisper to you everyday from across the room to come pick it up and play it? That's the one that you need to get.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I'm leaning to the EC side on this. Consider when you buy new, it then becomes used and typically loses some value. When you buy used, the used price is already in place so... I tend to think the EC would hold it's value right from the start.Were you ever to decide you want to sell the EC to go get a PRS, you should be able to get most if not all of the EC cost back.

I can see the wisdom of Steve's answer as well. Hey buy them both then take your deciding which you like the best, then sell the other one!!!

I am assuming they both sounds and play great...

GOod luck. I'll be looking forward to hear what you end up doing.

matonanjin

Well if you are asking this group, the correct answer would be to get both...

Steve
I, of course, knew this was coming!
When it comes down to it though, which one speaks to you? It sounds like you really like the look of the CS and the sound of the EC. Which one is going to whisper to you everyday from across the room to come pick it up and play it? That's the one that you need to get.
No, I did not mean to imply that. I do like the looks of the CS, but I'm not sure I can tell any difference in sound. And they are in two different stores so I can't play one and immediately play the other. The problem is that I can't tell at this point which one is going to whisper.

I'm leaning to the EC side on this. Consider when you buy new, it then becomes used and typically loses some value. When you buy used, the used price is already in place so... I tend to think the EC would hold it's value right from the start.Were you ever to decide you want to sell the EC to go get a PRS, you should be able to get most if not all of the EC cost back.

I am assuming they both sounds and play great...

GOod luck. I'll be looking forward to hear what you end up doing.
Chris, it's highly unlikely I will ever sell this to fund the PRS. This is going to be my acoustic. But good point as far as holding it's value. Yeah, they both sound and play equally great.

I'm going to think on this and probably get one next week. Maybe someone will buy one before then and make my decision for me!:D

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I was shopping for another electric, actually looking at a PRS Santana (then moved my thoughts to a Special Semi-Hollowbody) when it occured to me I am really fairly well set on electrics( Don't tell my wife!) What I really am lacking is a good acoustic. My Seagull is nice. But I want a nice Martin.

So I came across this gorgeous 000 burst custom shop in our local store. It is, just that, gorgeous and plays nice. And look at this wood work and grain!

View attachment 8366

View attachment 8367
But then I was in our local store, actually across the river in Council Bluffs. The only local store that carries PRS and came across this used 000-28 EC. An Eric Clapton signature that is used. It is used but one can't tell it. It is mint! And plays beautifully. I am the first to admit that I am a little more swayed by the EC name on it than I should be. And I know signature guitars are a rip off. But, this normally sell for quite a bit more than the other one, the custom shop, but it being used I can get these for about the same price. They are with $100 asking price. And the reviews I've seen on the Martin EC's are consistently glowing.
View attachment 8368

So you Martin guys and gals, what do you think? Either one should be considered overwhelmingly over the other, all things being equal? The cost is. Obviously, this is for acoustic blues.
Any thoughts are apreciated.

Just buy a PRS Silver Sky and forget about those silly acoustic guitars.
playing_cowbell.gif

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Really? I've got 6 Artist guitars (3 Gibsons and 3 Strats) and I find the quality of construction, necks, and pup tone on all of them is impeccable. Yes, even the Gibson's.

I also have a 000-28 Martin and would love to have the 000-28 EC. I understand the fret-board is a little wider. And if it sounds even close to my 000-28? Buy it. :Beer:

(Edit up-date) I should also mention that for acoustics my 000-28 is my "go to" acoustic and has been since I got it. I've got two D size 28's too. I like the Delta Blues smaller body of the 000. :Beer:

Last edited:

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Nah, none of them... get a Taylor instead !
At least that’s what my brother says. (but I must say he’s a Taylor lover)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
If it were me I take the EC--BUT-----Guitar center in South Bend, Indiana has a Martin D-21 Special (#300 made) for $1799.00 with case---(that is $700 under what they sell for new) with free shipping to your closest G.C.---Plus I think they have a return policy-

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
If I were looking for another acoustic right now I would be looking for a 000 size OMC. But I've got the 000 non cut-away already. Get the EC!! Enjoy it for a very long time!! :Beer:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Get the EC and put Santana strings on it :whistle:

Is that a maple back on the custom? Do you like the sound of a maple guitar?

If it were me I'd get the woodstock in the first picture. :LOL: I always liked Charlie Brown characters.

matonanjin

Well, @Terry B called it! I should have gotten off my arse. I went in the store yesterday morning that has the Martin 000-EC. As I was walking in FedEx was leaving. I said "Hi" to the owner and he said that FeDEx just left with the Eric Clapton!:mad: He had sold it on Reverb. But a learning experience. I convinced myself that I really need a good acoustic and, thanks to you guys and another forum, I have an idea what I want. I'll keep my eyes open for another EC. There's certainly no rush.

Of course, since I was there and the EC was gone, I did check out a nice PRS 594;)