quick tricks

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I was scouring youtube, I do that sometimes if I need some inspiration................and I saw all these lessons

master the fretboard now
the master pattern
feetboard domination, no scales needed

etc etc etc etc

honestly, I have a day or two in playing, and some of their "This is for beginners, dont waste 6 months learning scales " crap, I dont even understand. I was like, huh ?
One even told me I am learning my scales all wrong

now, I tried in the past different ways to learn all 5 boxes, because I had a hard time going from one to the other, solved it all with a few weeks of @Griff penatonic and scale mastery

Guess what I am saying, I really hate this youtube stuff that has promised many a beginner the easy way out, and makes things so much harder, i just wish they would be honest, you gotta sit your butt down, and put a little time and effort in.

After the penatonic mastery course, it had a huge benefit, I kinda knew what sound I was gonna get by sliding up or down, instead of guessing, and I have horrible tone deafness

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Heh. But honesty doesn't draw in the eyeballs and clicks revenue. ;)
yeah, I gotta learn how all this click stuff works, its just drives me nuts that if I cant figure out their beginner stuff, a real beginner my give up and think it gets harder, screw this

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I’ve trusted that following a program to the letter yields the best (and the quickest) results. Whether it be a diet, a watercolor instruction, or guitar. Trust that Griff knows what he is doing and follow the path he created for us. He hasn’t steered me wrong yet, as far as I can tell. :) It ain’t easy, and it can be boring and monotonous sometimes, but trust the program. Time and effort, or the 3 p’s - patience, practice, and persistence.

YouTube isn’t a program which makes it a jungle, so to speak. Good luck finding a way through a jungle without a guide.

Eric

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I’ve trusted that following a program to the letter yields the best (and the quickest) results. Whether it be a diet, a watercolor instruction, or guitar. Trust that Griff knows what he is doing and follow the path he created for us. He hasn’t steered me wrong yet, as far as I can tell. :) It ain’t easy, and it can be boring and monotonous sometimes, but trust the program. Time and effort, or the 3 p’s - patience, practice, and persistence.

YouTube isn’t a program which makes it a jungle, so to speak. Good luck finding a way through a jungle without a guide.

Eric
You know, Eric, I saw a comment on YouTube today and I couldn't help but chime in with exactly what you said...

YouTube is a good way to drink from a firehose... but the moment you find something that connects with you and makes some sense, you have to latch on to that and stop wandering. That's where most people falter.

This poor beginning guitarist was just so lost and so frustrated by the fact that every teacher seemed to contradict each other, and I really felt bad for him. I hope he'll take my advice and put some blinders on... but in all likelihood that won't happen :(

The best course is ALWAYS the one you stick with - doesn't really matter what you're trying to do.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'll quote a related short blog post I wrote a couple of years ago:

Minor rant, inspired by some marketing email I ran across this morning promising the “Secret to mastering (insert skill here)” if I open my wallet.

Folks, there is no easy button, not for anything that matters. Yes, there are tips and tricks to ease the journey, but the journey itself never changes: hard work, dedication, and putting in the long hours. There is no other “secret” to health, weight loss, mastering a skill…none. You can’t get there via some short cut.

You just can’t.

There: now you, too, know “the Secret.” You can put your wallet away.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Ed Sales.jpg

I mail ordered my very first instruction manual.

It says you can play a song the very first day and any song by ear or note in 7 days.

It took me more than 7 days.

And I'm still working on it 50+ years later.;)

(From Archie, #125, February 1962.)

Last edited:

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
There's a reason I have less than 100,000 subscribers on YouTube while so many other people have hundreds of thousands or even millions of subscribers... I have a hard time blowing smoke and counting ain't all that sexy :)

It sucks that it has to come down to monetization, but I'd wager a bet that 100k loyal subscribers is worth more than 200k virtual subscribers.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
It sucks that it has to come down to monetization, but I'd wager a bet that 100k loyal subscribers is worth more than 200k virtual subscribers.
I have always stuck to that theory, so I hope it's correct :)

I had a rule for myself when I started this venture that was very simple: I want to have customers that I'm happy to hang out with and I don't ever want to be afraid to run into one on the street.

Anyone who has been to a BGU Live will tell you that hanging out having a drink has never been a problem for this group :Beer:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
There's a reason I have less than 100,000 subscribers on YouTube while so many other people have hundreds of thousands or even millions of subscribers... I have a hard time blowing smoke and counting ain't all that sexy :)

You know what though, I have learned I am a rhythm player, I work at lead stuff, but it isnt really me, and thats okay. When I listen to a song the rhythm is what draws me in, I never enjoyed listening to a bunch of tapping or anything, sounds like bees buzzing

I have run into guitar players that can play 25 blow you away licks, but if you tell them, give me a I, VII, V one barre each in G

or a standard blues in A, they tell you, I dont play that kind of music. In other words, they dont know the basics, but they can be showy for 5 minutes.

I have always explained BGU this way, other people are an after school special, you will be playing some things, exposed to things and have some fun and a smile, Kind of like learning the alphabet song . BGU is where you take that alphabet, and learn words and a language that will eventually let you stand up in front of people and give a speech.

When it was time to quit playing cowboy chords only, and pieces of songs, I came here....................and its been a great investment

david moon

Attempting the Blues
You know what though, I have learned I am a rhythm player, I work at lead stuff, but it isnt really me, and thats okay. When I listen to a song the rhythm is what draws me in, I never enjoyed listening to a bunch of tapping or anything, sounds like bees buzzing

I have run into guitar players that can play 25 blow you away licks, but if you tell them, give me a I, VII, V one barre each in G

or a standard blues in A, they tell you, I dont play that kind of music. In other words, they dont know the basics, but they can be showy for 5 minutes.

I have always explained BGU this way, other people are an after school special, you will be playing some things, exposed to things and have some fun and a smile, Kind of like learning the alphabet song . BGU is where you take that alphabet, and learn words and a language that will eventually let you stand up in front of people and give a speech.

When it was time to quit playing cowboy chords only, and pieces of songs, I came here....................and its been a great investment
Hey Mark don't give up on the drumming. You might also find bass rewarding if you're more fosused on rhythm