Update on Ted_Zeppelin

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
but think maybe there should be no pressure put on him to try to be ready for this fall.
It's actually his goal and not something anyone else has put on him. Before his surgery, we were exchanging messages. His docs told him to expect a recovery period of between two and three months. He said that his goal is to be back on his feet an ready to play at the NY/NE jam.
He's a big boy and fully capable of gauging his own recovery. I'm relatively certain he won't risk his health just to come drink play the blues with us.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm guessing he had a fusion done, which is more invasive than the discectomy, but I think that's a reasonable rate of recovery, barring no set backs and follows his Doc's regimen, Hopefully once the soreness from the invasion subsides he feel better quickly, they did mine through a hole the size of pencil, a fusion they typically got to slice you open

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Lloyd, thank you for keeping us updated. My best wishes and prayers go to Brian. By the way, my son's name is Brian. All Brian's are good people! :)

Tom

Elwood

Blues
Just saw this whole thing about Ted's spine surgery. All the best for a swift and complete recovery Ted.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Today's update. Brian has been released from the hospital and is now residing at a physical rehabilitation center.
If you feel like sending him a get well card, you can send it to
597 Executive Campus Drive
Westerville, OH 43082.
Please send them to Brian McQuillan (not Ted Zeppelin, you'll give the mail room a migraine).

According to the message, he's happy to be out of the hospital and is making good progress. His worst complaint is a shooting pain that seemingly happens without warning.

burlew

Blues Junior
I just put a call in to Brian at the Mount Carmel Rehabilitation Hospital. He's sore and sorry, but remains positive and focused on recovery.

He asked me to put a note on the forum on his behalf to thank you all for your support and good wishes. He'll log in just as soon as he's up to it.

I did lay down the challenge that he'll have to fit and well to attend the NE jam in October.

db

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers during this surgery and recovery. Getting a call from Australia (@burlew) the other night was quite a surprise!!! My pain meds were just kicking in when you called so hopefully I was half way coherent:cool:. Been a lot of ups and downs so far but as of right now, I feel as though I am getting over the worst of it. Between the metal cages, pins and screws along with several discs removed, I pretty much have a new spine from C2 down to T1. From what I understand, the normally will only do one of these procedures at a time, but I was “lucky” enough to get 2 or 3 different surgeries at the same time )front and back). Physical therapy started yesterday and even though it was tough, it felt good to get through it. Still have some numbness in my feet but I think that I will be able to get that back to normal over time. As for guitar playing, it’s just a matter of time to get my strength back. Thank you all. Going to try to get back home by the end of the week if all goes well.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers during this surgery and recovery. Getting a call from Australia (@burlew) the other night was quite a surprise!!! My pain meds were just kicking in when you called so hopefully I was half way coherent:cool:. Been a lot of ups and downs so far but as of right now, I feel as though I am getting over the worst of it. Between the metal cages, pins and screws along with several discs removed, I pretty much have a new spine from C2 down to T1. From what I understand, the normally will only do one of these procedures at a time, but I was “lucky” enough to get 2 or 3 different surgeries at the same time )front and back). Physical therapy started yesterday and even though it was tough, it felt good to get through it. Still have some numbness in my feet but I think that I will be able to get that back to normal over time. As for guitar playing, it’s just a matter of time to get my strength back. Thank you all. Going to try to get back home by the end of the week if all goes well.

It's awesome to hear from you Brian! I hope your progress continues at an accelerated rate so life can return to normal for you ASAP.
Please thank your wife for the text updates.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
i finally was able to pick up a guitar today to see what I am able to play. The good news is that my picking hand seems to be 100% functional, at least as good as it can be after 3 weeks of no playing. The bad news is my fretting hand is not cooperating:(:(:(. My ring finger and pinky have very little strength or dexterity. Most chords are not happening yet. Can’t even play a basic pentatonic scale. I messed around for about 10 minutes, sat the guitar down and walked away. Kind of depressing. I probably should be happy that I was able to do as much as I could. Looks like I will be working on strength exercises for a while in hopes that I can get my hand back to normal. I have more therapy sessions scheduled for next week. I will have to stay positive and look for small gains as each day passes.