How many guitars do you "NEED"?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, I have 18 ... actually 17 1/2 because one isn't finished yet. Why? I dunno. Do I have to know? There is a saying that if you don't know where you're going you will end up somewhere else. Since I always seem to be ending up somewhere else I guess I don't know where I'm going? On the other hand, if you already know where you're going, why go? Questions, questions, questions. And a pundit for every question.

aleclee

Tribe of One
For most of us, the literal truth is zero. Guitars are not necessities. Once you get over that, you can reframe the issue as "How many are required for what I want to accomplish?" That number is entirely dependent upon your goals and budget.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I had to turn the video off. I just don't need that kind of negativity in my world!
angel_3.gif

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Everyone knows Einsteins law on this: N=H+1
N: Number of guitars you need
H: Number of guitars you have
You have to apply this rule every time you buy a guitar....;)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Timely for me.
Over the past week I've been thinking to myself, I need to spend more time learning the gear I own.
Like most of us, I've got several guitars, amps and pedals.
Although I can usually coax any desired tone by mix & match, I think I'd be a better player if I could have complete command over one guitar and one amp.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
For me it's like getting to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
a 1
a 2
a 3

I need 3 guitars. A Strat, Les Paul and another I think is just cool.

As for pedals that's different.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
I'd say four. All four must have stainless steel fret wire and have been pleked. Two with 10-46 strings and two with 09-42 strings. Two with Seymour Duncan pickups and two with DiMarzio pickups.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got 20-some in the closet, and need every single one of them. Wife said "the closet is full so that's enough." Got another so it sits out in the room. Now I have to fill the room up so that one's not lonely. If the room fills up, then I guess I'll work on them spilling out into the hall. I guess, eventually, it'll be the whole house. That's how many I need, right?

In the vid's defense, I went for the first 15 years I played having 2 guitars (a steel string acoustic and a nylon string acoustic), and only played the steel string if I was playing out. Now I've got I think 6 acoustics and like 18 electrics. At home, I typically grab one of about four guitars. Whenever I'm playing out, depending on what it is, I'll grab one of two...either a particular Strat or the Gretsch.

I totally understand the minimalist approach the guy is talking about, but I'm a Texan. I've been told that the rest of the world sees me as excessive in everything I do...big truck, big hair, big boots, big hat, big mouth, big oil well in the back yard, etc. Don't have an oil well (or a gas well either), so I have to make up for it somewhere. I can't let the rest of the world down, right? :ROFLMAO: