Griff Hamlin and Dave Amato - 2019 Tacoma Guitar Festival

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
After Griff and the Single Barrel Blues Band performed at the Tacoma Guitar Festival, Dave Amato (lead guitarist for REO Speedwagon) was next up. He was there alone so he had asked Griff and the band (minus the horns) to back him up. They discussed a few songs they both knew previously, but they had never played together and Griff didn't know he was going to sing any of the songs until minutes before they started playing.

Well, the results speak for themselves. They all started a bit tentatively, as Griff didn't want to step on Dave's set, but once they got rolling it became a terrific trading of licks between two great guitarists, and the rest of the band cranked it up as well. They became fast friends after the set. Here's a cellphone recording of it (not mine). If nothing else, make sure you hear the last song (from about 30:30 on).

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I watched the live FB feed and it was really exciting.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
That was almost as much fun to watch back as it was being there :)

I sent the link to Dave as well, thanks Mike!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
All I can say is "WOW"---I would love to hear that one through a well mixed recording-video, it would be "the icing on the cake", for all us Griff fans----maybe someday they will do it again. But I think Steve could hold his own with them.:):Beer:

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Here's a slightly better video of "All Along The Watchtower".

Last edited: