Happy Cinco De Mayo

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This day celebrates Mexico's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla.
Let's all send some love to our neighbors to the south on a day that brings them pride.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Mexico owed Spain, England, and France money, and was not able to pay back its loans, so in 1861, France invaded Mexico. In 1864, Napoleon III of France chose Maximilian, an Austrian (brother of Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I) to be emperor of Mexico.

The Battle of Puebla was won May 5, 1862, when the Mexicans defeated the French. On May 17, 1863, the Mexicans surrendered Puebla to the French. Perhaps the French should celebrate that event? The French did not leave Mexico, until 1867. The French had good reason to leave Mexico, as they had to get ready for the Franco-Prussian War. ;) What 's this? The French lost two wars in quick succession? o_O

My friends in Mexico do not celebrate this day, and it gets a lot more attention in the United States. It is an excuse to get drunk and go to Taco Bell. :ROFLMAO:

Let's have a party! :cool: Or as we like to say: Party on dude! :Beer:

So the moral of the story is: Be careful from whom you borrow money. They might insist that you learn to speak French! :cry: Or even pay it back! :eek:

Tom

P.S. I hope that this post does not qualify as a political message of some kind! :sneaky:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
It is an excuse to get drunk and go to Taco Bell. :ROFLMAO:

This is 100% justification for the date to be special; except for the Taco Hell part. Just Say No to "fast food."

My fambly shall be out and about tonight, eating Tex-Mex and quaffing Margaritas and otherwise indulging the (possibly-flimsy) excuse. :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Mexico owed Spain, England, and France money, and was not able to pay back its loans, so in 1861, France invaded Mexico. In 1864, Napoleon III of France chose Maximilian, an Austrian (brother of Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I) to be emperor of Mexico.

The Battle of Puebla was won May 5, 1862, when the Mexicans defeated the French. On May 17, 1863, the Mexicans surrendered Puebla to the French. Perhaps the French should celebrate that event? The French did not leave Mexico, until 1867. The French had good reason to leave Mexico, as they had to get ready for the Franco-Prussian War. ;) What 's this? The French lost two wars in quick succession? o_O

My friends in Mexico do not celebrate this day, and it gets a lot more attention in the United States. It is an excuse to get drunk and go to Taco Bell. :ROFLMAO:

So the moral of the story is: Be careful from whom you borrow money. They might insist that you learn to speak French! :cry: Or even pay it back! :eek:

Tom

P.S. I hope that this post does not qualify as a political message of some kind! :sneaky:
Some poignant insight as usual Tom.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This is 100% justification for the date to be special; except for the Taco Hell part. Just Say No to "fast food."
Hey, don't be knockin' Taco Bell! It has been a guilty pleasure of mine since I first ate at the one that opened in my old home town in Colorado. Besides that, it is now ranked as one of the healthiest of fast food joints in the U.S.
https://www.businessinsider.com/taco-bell-is-now-one-of-americas-healthiest-fast-food-chains-2016-10

Wendys and Taco Bell are about the only fast food joints I am still willing to patronize. Before I retired, TB was my payday "splurge."

As far as an excuse to party. Who needs one? I willing to celebrate any day of the week ending in "y."

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I loves me some "junk" food, make no mistake: wings, pizza, burgers, et cetera. In my cranky later years I've just become selective about who gets to make them. :Beer: