Interfaces Presonus AudioBox 96 Hookup Question

Ivan

Blues Newbie
I have a Fender Super Champ x2 USB amp. Can I run a cable from the amp’s LINE OUT to the AudioBox Interface INST/MIC input to record? I’m using Studio One Artist 4 DAW.
Thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
On my StudioLive AR8, ports 1 & 2 are labeled Line/Inst, so I think you should be good to go. (mine also has a L/R Lin in channel, which is what I would use.)

Ivan

Blues Newbie
On my StudioLive AR8, ports 1 & 2 are labeled Line/Inst, so I think you should be good to go. (mine also has a L/R Lin in channel, which is what I would use.)

Thanks Mike. I also have L/R in the back of mine but I have my monitors hooked up to them.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have a Fender Super Champ x2 USB amp. Can I run a cable from the amp’s LINE OUT to the AudioBox Interface INST/MIC input to record? I’m using Studio One Artist 4 DAW.
Thanks
According to the Presonus owner's manual, they do not recommend it. This quote is direct from the manual.
"Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox USB96 not only risks damage to these inputs but can also result in a very loud and often distorted audio signal."
I'm somewhat surprised by this disclaimer.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
According to the Presonus owner's manual, they do not recommend it. This quote is direct from the manual.
"Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox USB96 not only risks damage to these inputs but can also result in a very loud and often distorted audio signal."
I'm somewhat surprised by this disclaimer.

Thanks paparaptor. I read the same thing but I've been reading online forums there are players who use this setup. One guy actually claims that the second input is a "dedicated line input" but I'm hesitant to give it a try. Oh well I can always mic the amp or use a usb connection but it's a pain in the butt with this setup. And besides all the plugins sound pretty good too.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks paparaptor. I read the same thing but I've been reading online forums there are players who use this setup. One guy actually claims that the second input is a "dedicated line input" but I'm hesitant to give it a try. Oh well I can always mic the amp or use a usb connection but it's a pain in the butt with this setup. And besides all the plugins sound pretty good too.

Presonus suggests that you use a D.I. box if you're feeding it a line level input. They likely have a good reason. You can pick up a passive DI box for under $20. If you Google "Cheap DI Box" you can find a Monoprice passive box for $8.99 on Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime, the shipping is free. Monoprice also sells it on their website, but for some reason, they want $4 more for it. It's cheap insurance.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Presonus suggests that you use a D.I. box if you're feeding it a line level input. They likely have a good reason. You can pick up a passive DI box for under $20. If you Google "Cheap DI Box" you can find a Monoprice passive box for $8.99 on Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime, the shipping is free. Monoprice also sells it on their website, but for some reason, they want $4 more for it. It's cheap insurance.

I thought of that too but I don’t want to add more gadgets to my already cramped desk. Actually I just got a reply from a Presonus tech. Now I’m really confused. Have a read.
I think I’ll just stick to the mic...haha.
  • IveYesterday at 14:44
    Can I record my Fender Super Champ x2 USB amp using the Line Out directly to my AudioBox USB 96 Inst/Mic input? My interface is connected to my computer via USB and I’m using Studio One Artist 4.

• profile_image_371561236351_25630.jpg

Technical Support Today at 16:53
    Hello Ive,

Thank you for contacting PreSonus Technical Support.

Yes, you will be able to pass audio from your amp's Line Out into the AudioBox Inst/Mic input. Be sure to use one 1/4" TRS cable in your connection.

Please let us know if you require further technical support.

Kind regards,
    Landen Sevario
    Technical Support Rep