Lesson 7 example 35 frustration

Stank

Blues Newbie
I have medium sized hands and I just don't see ever making the stretch from the 2nd fret to the 7th. I wont give up but I can barely make it to the 6th fret as in example 34.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Make sure your thumb is in the middle of the neck and opposes your middle finger.
Griff has suggested placing the guitar in your lap face down and fingering the chord. Then, without releasing the chord, turning the guitar face up. Your hand should now be in the right position.
Get the head of the guitar up nearer your head (not parallel to the floor)

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Jack Pearson had some hand and finger exercises on the Steve Krenz live lessons that could help stretch out the hands about 5 or 6 years ago. I know Griff has some exercises in the Pentatonic Scale Mastery course that helped me A LOT. It is very similar to Jack's lessons. It took me about three years to get from the 12th fret down to the 1st fret but even though at the start I didn't think I'd ever get those stretches I can do them now.

It takes time an perseverance. And knowing you current limitations to avoid injury. Like I said, it took me about 3 years of daily stretching exercises. And I still do them to keep the hands limber.

Eric

Stank

Blues Newbie
Thanks Jalepeno. I am a part of Steve Krenzs guitar family and watch his live lessons when I can. I started out as a Gibson's learn and master student and I've been to Gruhn Guitars where he videos the live lessons.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I think I remember you from the old L&M forum. I haven't been to the new forum, it seems more geared to beginners. I like it here because there is everyone from beginners to guys who've been playing semi pro for a while. A good mix.

Eric

Telypaul

Blues Newbie
I’m not on this course but I understand the stretch issue. A trick I picked up somewhere on the net is to place your pinkie first an stretch down to your first it works for me I have small hands and some arthritic deformation with my pinkie.

There are lots of stretch exercises on the net one I use as a starter is put your 1st finger on the 2nd string at the 12th fret then go 12 13 15 second string then 13 15 17 on the 1st string but keeping your 1st finger down on the 2nd, do a few reps then move down a fret.

Hope that makes sense keep up the good work and have fun.

Paul

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
That's a difficult stretch. And with practice it's possible to do (as discussed above in this thread).

As a practical matter, you don't need that particular stretch playing the B7 chord. Just play the 2-4 and the 2-6 and call it good. Nobody will care you didn't go up to 7. And if you really want to put that extra little zinger in there you can shift to B on the 7th fret. You can play it there until you're better able to handle it on the 2nd fret.

The key of E is easy to play until you get to the B chord, then it become a little difficult. That's why playing in the key of A is such a sweet option. A, D, and E are all right there and easy to grab in the open position.