Suggestions on problems with holding the pick correctly

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Hi there, since I took up playing the guitar again right from the start I have been having problems with holding the pick without it rotating in my fingers while playing songs. I started with the correct two finger method but would have to stop maybe a minute into the song as the pick would rotate in my fingers then allowing me not to play the chords correctly, so then I started using three fingers to help stabilize the pick and maybe that helps for awhile but I don't seem to be able to finish a song without having to stop and relocate the pick in my fingers again, "very frustrating" any suggestions of things I might try. I see dunlap or Dunlop makes picks that have a very rough texture to probably help the pick from moving, I am open to suggestions,

Thanks,
Terry

MatthewHonjo

Blues Newbie
Funny I just started learning guitar again after a 10 year break. I found the same problem and experimented with a tone of picks to find the one that fit me best. One of the biggest things I found was the material of the pick was most important for me so it would stop rotating in my fingers. There were two types of picks that I found worked for me. Fender premium picks and V-picks worked for me. I found that the smoother material picks stick to my fingers better than the nylon or your standard tortex picks. I love the v-picks but they are expensive as far as picks go. My suggestion try a bunch and find the one that suits you.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Funny I just started learning guitar again after a 10 year break. I found the same problem and experimented with a tone of picks to find the one that fit me best. One of the biggest things I found was the material of the pick was most important for me so it would stop rotating in my fingers. There were two types of picks that I found worked for me. Fender premium picks and V-picks worked for me. I found that the smoother material picks stick to my fingers better than the nylon or your standard tortex picks. I love the v-picks but they are expensive as far as picks go. My suggestion try a bunch and find the one that suits you.

Hi Mathew, I am in the process now of trying different picks that might help me with the problem I am experiencing, I have tried ideas with holes drilled in the picks and using a soldering iron to more or less roughen up the picks and have not found much success for myself with these methods. I am now using a Mojo Grip and have noticed immediate results using these rubber devices that form over a normal size pick. Now my Mojo's came with a thin (.016) Fender looking colored pick. I believe the combination of this set was very beneficial with immediate results, however I do not like the sound from the pick. The sound produced seems like a deck of playing cards attached to your bicycle spokes, very noisy. For the most part I practice with my electric guitars with no amp connected, ha, don't want to listen to other family members tell me how bad I sound. As soon as all the house members are gone we plug into the noise maker. :) So Mathew, I replaced the pick that came with my Mojo with a .96 sculpted Dunlop. Now, I noticed a small amount of pick slippage with the pick change, without the spoke noise, however I seem to be able to correct this slipage while playing, something I was never able to do before. This forum is full of members that are more then willing to share their experience to help Newbies as my self as to what worked for them, just as you have shared further comments. Other members have given high recommendations on the V picks also. At this time I have just not tried them. They will probably be next on my list.

Again thanks for your input to this conversation,

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I alternate between .71mm and .96mm D'Andrea's.

I don't have any preference as to which type I use for any particular type of music, but rather whatever just feels good that day.

As far as actually holding a pick goes, I think it's very much a "form-follows-function" kind of thing.
In some instances I hold a pick so that about 3/8ths of an inch or so sticks out past my fingers while other times I tighten it down to about 1/8th of an inch.

I find that the extended length works well when playing something at a slow to medium tempo if I do a lot of bending and especially if I follow the bend with an octave. For example, on most bends I generally down-pick and when I want to grab the octave on the next string I up-pick and that extended length allows me to easily move between strings.

But if I'm playing something fast, especially something modal with a lot of "walking" up and down strings, shortening up the pick allows me to pick more quickly and more accurately.

So there's really no single answer as to how to hold a pick since (for me, anyway) grip and extension are always changing depending upon what I want to do.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I don't have a problem with pick rotation, but you might try using the heel or shoulder (depending on how you look at it) of the pick as opposed to the point, I having strummed with my thumb and fingers for years on acoustics find it feels much more natural to me.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My advice is to try several different types of picks. I started playing guitar when I was 10, and played many styles including classical, flamenco, Latin, popular, folk, etc. When I turned 68, I started using an electric guitar, with a pick. I tried many different picks and the one that I like best are my V Picks.

Different books and courses I bought about electric guitar said you should use picks from .5 to 1.0 mm thick depending upon if you were playing rhythm or solo. I tried the V Picks Carlos Santana model, as Carlos went to the same High School as I did (as well as my mom, dad, and uncle). I like the red one. V Picks has many models to choose from. A sharp edge pick will give you a "sharp tone", while a "rounded edge" will give you a mellow tone. That is subjective.

The model I have suggested is 3.0 mm, which had me concerned until I used it. You could not pay me to use something different!

https://v-picks.com/shop/freakishly-large-round/

Everyone is different so I hope that you find what works best for you.

https://v-picks.com/product-category/guitar-picks/

Tom

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I personally like the Dunlop Tortex picks... in purple (1.14mm) I don't like flexible picks, but super thick ones aren't my cup of tea either. These seem to work best for me. But for the OP, the Tortex is really grippy, without having a determinable texture or pattern. I think this would avoid the rotational issues he might be experiencing.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
My advice is to try several different types of picks. I started playing guitar when I was 10, and played many styles including classical, flamenco, Latin, popular, folk, etc. When I turned 68, I started using an electric guitar, with a pick. I tried many different picks and the one that I like best are my V Picks.

Different books and courses I bought about electric guitar said you should use picks from .5 to 1.0 mm thick depending upon if you were playing rhythm or solo. I tried the V Picks Carlos Santana model, as Carlos went to the same High School as I did (as well as my mom, dad, and uncle). I like the red one. V Picks has many models to choose from. A sharp edge pick will give you a "sharp tone", while a "rounded edge" will give you a mellow tone. That is subjective.

The model I have suggested is 3.0 mm, which had me concerned until I used it. You could not pay me to use something different!

https://v-picks.com/shop/freakishly-large-round/

Everyone is different so I hope that you find what works best for you.

https://v-picks.com/product-category/guitar-picks/

Tom

Well Tom that settles it, I am going to have to try the Mr. Santana V pick after all maybe some of his playing will rub off on me toooo,ha. If I keep trying different picks I am bound to find a favorite sooner or later, thanks for the hyper links also, sure makes my job easier.

I am curious if you were experiencing pick slippage or you were just looking for a sound that you liked, curious minds.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Well Tom that settles it, I am going to have to try the Mr. Santana V pick after all maybe some of his playing will rub off on me toooo,ha. If I keep trying different picks I am bound to find a favorite sooner or later, thanks for the hyper links also, sure makes my job easier.

I am curious if you were experiencing pick slippage or you were just looking for a sound that you liked, curious minds.
While your shopping at V-picks the Screamers are my favorites

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
I personally like the Dunlop Tortex picks... in purple (1.14mm) I don't like flexible picks, but super thick ones aren't my cup of tea either. These seem to work best for me. But for the OP, the Tortex is really grippy, without having a determinable texture or pattern. I think this would avoid the rotational issues he might be experiencing.

I like the idea of grippy, I had to laugh with your usage of OP, with many meanings, I thought to myself, Damn how did he know I was an "Old Person" however all kidding aside they are somewhat pricy, as in overpriced, OP:):) thanks also for your input. I will also need to try one of these.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I like the idea of grippy, I had to laugh with your usage of OP, with many meanings, I thought to myself, Damn how did he know I was an "Old Person" however all kidding aside they are somewhat pricy, as in overpriced, OP:):) thanks also for your input. I will also need to try one of these.
Sorry OP = Original Poster. Forum lingo from another forum I'm on.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie

The first guitar I purchased at Guitar Center the salesmen threw in a bag of assorted picks, as I was just looking at them just a minute ago, I will not have to purchase a Dunlop Tortex it just so happens it has a Purple 1.14 and I have not tried that one yet.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
If the Tortex still slips, Dunlop also has the Gator Grips, basically same pick but not polished so a little more grip

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
If the Tortex still slips, Dunlop also has the Gator Grips, basically same pick but not polished so a little more grip

Thanks again, I am going to have to up my practice once I find a pick that works for me, I am doing the counting now in the Beginners Blues Course, funny I can do the chords fine and can pick so so however when I put the two together and try to count, Wow that's tuff but I am in no hurry just having fun. After reading so many posts on counting and the importance I am taking my time, I try to practice a minimum of twice a day.